Remembrance Day Concert Music/VE Day music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Oct 13, 2004.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Remembrance Day Concert Music

With Remembrance Day coming up soon any one got any more suggestions for suitable music for concerts associated with the event? We've come up with a list for a concert but seems to have a fair amount of film/tv based arrangements.

British Legion March
    Saving Private Ryan (Hymn to the Fallen)
    Band of Brothers
    Benedictus from the Armed Man
    Nightfall in Camp
    Where Eagles Dare
    Concert March 1941
    Great Escape

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

3. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

MMI Music has a piece in its catalogue called Anzio by Jim Alder. The piece is a full length test piece work based around Jim's memories of the battle of Anzio (around Naples, Italy) in 1944 and priced at £45.00. The slow section of the piece "Requiem For The Dead" is available seperately and is ideal (if that's the right expression) for playing at remembrance services/concerts (I've used it several times). Currently we have a couple of copies available in our sale priced at £7.50 - these are brand new sets, they are just in the old corporate style. Please email or PM me if you would like samples.
  4. KatyB

KatyB New Member

we once played the slow movement from Royal Parks which was written in memory of the band members killed by the IRA - can't just remember the name, but it is very nice.
    And there is Hymn to the Fallen which is also a good one.
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

and of coures you could add a few popular marches.

aces high,
    the dambusters march
    633 squadren.

hows about looking up you local army regiment, or raf squadrn, and using there regimental march, there are usually some local old boys at these concerts who would apreciate this very much indeed.
    for example the local regoment to us would be the kings shropshire light infantry whos regimantal march would be "old towler"
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It's actually called "In Memorium" and does work fine as a stand alone piece.

Another one worth considering is "A Time for Piece" by Peter Graham - originally from The Essence of Time it was very well re-arranged as a tenor horn solo. I can't remember for the life of me who it's published by though - I'll post it up here later (unless someone beats me to it :D )
  7. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

We've done I vow to thee my country, various other hymn tune arrangents, mainly from the SA books, erm hymn to the fallen, RAF March Past (cos it's usually a RAF service!) and Nimrod... that's all i can think of at the mo, but I'm sure there's more
  8. We play Gounod's Judex every year for the British Legion.
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I'd have thought it would be published by Gramercy Music -
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

You could play the march Arnhem. This year is the sixtieth Anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
    Arromanche (March) Again 60 years since the D-Day landings on the Beach at Arromanche.
    Old Comrades
    Tara's Theme from 'Gone with the Wind' - Popular wartime film
    Over the Rainbow - from Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Any Glenn Miller number!
    1914 March - includes Long way to Tipperary, Pack up your troubles,Take me back to dear old Blighty etc.
    Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

We do a similar concert on the eve of Remembrance and this year will be including poems by Wilfred Owen (Shropshire War Poet) and John McCrae's 'Flounders Field'.

12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Didn't realise we were still at war in 1967!

13. peatair

peatair Member

Remembrance Day Music

How about:

Nimrod - arr. D. Wright
    Pomp and Circumstance No.4 - Elgar
    A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square - arr. Alan Fernie
    Reflections in Nature - Robert Redhead
    A Bridge Too Far - arr. Frank Bryce
    Dear Lord and Father of Mankind - arr. Gordon Langford
    Men of Harlech - arr Gordon Langford
    The Thin Red Line - March - Kenneth Alford

Just a few ideas - and many thanks for all the other ideas on this thread
  14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

But where do you stop? If its the section in the middle it won't make sense if you suddenly stop, and if its the end then its pointless really, there are much better pieces.
    How about the William Himes arrangement of Amazing Grace?
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think you're right drummerboy, but it's only listed on the site as part of the GRAMERCY SOLO ALBUM, but the mp3 file is the version I'm banging on about....

[pedantic]BTW apologies for my spelling, it should of been spelt "A Time for Peace" [/pedantic]:-?
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Depending on how the concert is being pitched, Darrol Barry's "Keep Smiling Through" is a good number if people want to try and sing along.
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, think we'll need to do two separate concerts - all good stuff. Got to band and the conductor had also compiled a separate list including:

Keep Smiling Through,
    We'll Meet Again
    Glen Miller Selection
    Crimond (Goff Richards arr)
    The Day Though Gavest (Wilby arr for YBS)
    Evening Hym & Last Post (thanks Roger we have this in our library but I'd forgotten)
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Sorry Roger just checked our library and this isn't your arrangement it's credited Tulip and published by Richardson.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  19. andyp

andyp Active Member

We use "Sandon and Last Post" every Remebrance Day morning service (it's a request!) and also "Light of the World", (SA arrangement of "Aurelia", can't remeber who by).
  20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Dean Goffin