Remembrance and disrespect?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I was intending to go out with the Fulham Band today, but was laid low with a bad throat and had to pull out.

I decided to watch the Service from the Cenotaph on TV instead and observe the two minutes silence at 11am.

I was very disappointed that my downstairs neighbour decided to pick 11am exactly to start banging and crashing around, loud enough to completely destroy the calmness of the moment for me.

Did any one else experience other instances of disrespect this Remembrance time?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    DIUS
    silence
    Remembrance
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

We had an additional minute of silence during our pm concert today, but it was disturbed by people who really should have been in the other room. :hammer

4. Kat-SSB

Kat-SSB Member

Yep we were in a shop in York today observing 2 mins silence when a young lad and lass continued to wander through the shop shouting "Why's it so quiet in here there's no music it's dead in here!" needless to say when they realised they looked rather sheepish

On a better note our usual rememberance parade was better attended than ever before and I have never seen rain falling so hard! By the time it was finished everyone was feezing cold and soaking wet but it was nice everyone turned out to support a special day.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

On the flip side, my lad had a (friendly) football match this afternoon with his under 9s side. Prior to kick-off the ref lined both sides up and asked them whether they'd seen the silences before yesterday's matches on Match of the Day. He then explained to them the reason behind the silences and asked whether they wanted to do the same. Both sides, all 20 of the 8 year olds, then observed an impeccable minutes silence - and for us watching on the sidelines, it was a very moving experience.

6. Will the Sec

That's a powerful image, Dyl - bravo to the referee.

7. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Went to the KC Stadium yesterday to watch the mighty HULL CITY, the minutes silence before the match was interupted by some mindless Bolton Fans shouting. The home supporters showed their disgust in a suitable manner when the Ref ended the silence by blowing his whistle.

8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That ref is a legend!

9. joshy

joshy Member

I was playing the Last Post at my home town today and was told that our silence was to be ended by a flypast from the local RAF station. Not knowing if it would be a prop or jet I waited and heard a distant whining noise, getting ready to blow the Reveille I realised it was someone choosing that moment to mow his lawn just round the corner form the memorial :mad:

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Every year my band does a march with the Vetrans, British Legion, Scouts,Guides,Rainbows & Beavers. I get really offended each year by a few goons who attend the parade in a US army Jeep dressed up as American soldiers complete with tin helmet and fake side arms. One always wears a Leather flying jacket - he only needs the big cigar to complete the John Wayne look. They never go into the church when we get there and I always think they are there for the purpose of showing off rather than an act of rememberance. They may well be remembering our fallen cousins from the US but it really rankles me for some reason.

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

During the silence at the Wales v S.Africa rugby, some morons shouted!! I hope 'words of advice' were administered by proper rugby supporters!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    DIUS
    silence
    Remembrance
  13. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

I think that is one area in which the UK can learn from the Americans. They hold their armed forces in very high esteem, either serving or fallen. This is the one day of the year in which the whole country should come together to honour those who layed down their lives for our future. People should be educated for which this day stands for, not disrespect those who were brave enough to step up to the line.

14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

This isn't the only lesson we can learn from across the Pond. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen the American flag defaced with the name of a baseball team written across it (please tell me if I'm wrong), or flown up-side-down. The only thing that should be written on the Union Flag is TOP with a big arrow. :mad:

15. tat

tat Member

Pity some of your rugby league fans couldn't manage the the minute silence down at Wembly this year.

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I was in my local Tesco store and it got announced they were having 2 mins silence.
    Well all well and good but for someone who was in the store answered mbl phone
    "Hello Mate in Tesco having the 2 mins silence":mad:
    Just shows what some people are like

17. Di

Di Active Member

But did he continue with a conversation or then hang up on the caller after telling him about the silence? Would it have been better or worse to leave the phone ringing ... and ringing ... and ringing... through the silence? He could have just cut the caller off without answering though, but we don't know the circumstances of the call.

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

I agree, it's the same with everything else though, Will for all you know the guy above (?) you could have tripped over his sofa and collided into his television or something, just because people aren't silent at that exact moment I don't really think you can call them disrespectful for that :-?

We've got a 1mins silence at work tomorrow which could be quite difficult seen as the other half of the room that I am in is call centre type people....

19. Will the Sec

He's below me, Leisa, and following a doorstepping after he played sad songs at ffffffffffff "because Leeds lost the Carling Cup Final" has been reasonable about noise ever since. Until his wife moved in about a year ago, anyway.

The banging was non stop for almost the whole two minutes, did not accompany any music, was rather random in its nature, and was the only sound in the neighbourhood.

For me, the least anyone can do is have enough knowledge of the significance of the day to be a beacon of calm for two minutes on Remembrance Sunday, and for a further two minutes on 11 November.

20. Will the Sec

Don't get me started... supposed silent keyboards... and clinking tea spoons in cups... and people actually dialling a phone number during the silence... and (one year) a parade of motor cyclists going du du doo doo do do do do dah dah dah! (Though they later wrote to the local press apologising and made a large donation to the British Legion by way of an apology)...

*Reaches for a cold compress to soothe the agitated brow*

21. Blagger

Blagger Member

During the 2 mins silence at our service some "lads" started banging on a window from inside the nearby pub. When they didnt stop the piper walked inside after and was heard to say " if you ever do that again i will ram this f****** bagpipe up your f""""""" @rse"
    quickly followed by about 10 of the veterans having a go at them:clap::clap:

They need to know that we are remembering the casualties from very recent conflicts as well as the two world wars.

Still - they were all quiet after that anyhow :wink:

22. spanishbass

spanishbass New Member

We were lucky enough to have a 2 part march! Part 1 cold but dry. During the church service I foned our principal cornet, forgetting he was in church for last post etc (oops), rest of band were in a coffee shop and at 11am we all fell silent......pity the 2 lads working ther didnĀ“t do the same. 2nd part of parade...we managed to wait until " Noah" would have been happy with the weather before we marched off.........only for an Emergency Ambulance to drive through the wehole procession on a very narrow street!!!!!! That was a first for me in over 20 years!!!! At least we could go home to a nice warm bath/shower......unlike the men/women we were Remembering!!!!