Rememberance Day

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Oct 26, 2004.

Should a band or individual be paid for doing the Rememberance Day service

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
  2. No

21 vote(s)
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
  1. jpbray

jpbray Member

I think this question will always raise controversy, and the answer will only rest with an indviduals point of view.

Should a band be paid for doing the Rememberance Day service or an individual be paid for playing the last post?

Personally I think not
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We do 3 unpaid jobs per year for our local town council Rememberance Sunday, an evening playing Carols outside the Town Hall before christmas and the annual Mayor making ceremony

Although these jobs are unpaid we are often (but not always) given a gift by the council/mayor each year
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

We are not paid. We consider it part of our service to the community. After all, we get quite a lot of money from the city council as subisdies and also directly from the people of the village through our activities.

But we get free beer afterwards (paid for by the city council) :)
  4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I do get paid for playing on Remembrance Sunday.

The fee was decided upon by the trumpeter who played at that church before me, since then the vicar has actually raised it (he was impressed with the job I have done) and has told me to keep the day free for the next 10 years.
    Not only do I play the bugle calls, I also play during the service (trumpet voluntaries and specific Remembrance Sunday descants to the hymns).
    The fact that I am paid is something that I don't have a problem with. This is how I earn my living (as a player and teacher) and the people I play for are more than happy to pay me for the job I do.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think stevetrom and Jan_h have nailed it on the head.

I think that a community should support its band and a band support its community.

If the community will not support a band with annual grant money, I don't know that the band should support the community.

I guess in an indirect way, the band gets paid for the gig, but I don't think bands should be going out trying to find which community will pay them the most to play on Remembrance day.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

For pro players I don't see why they shouldn't be paid for the gig. However, for a community band, like ours, we look upon it as part of our service to the community and do not look for any payment. Our band chairman actually lays a wreath in rememberance of former band members.

IYOUNG Member

Agreed about the community work our local Town Council is very supportive to us Grants, venues etc etc. In retrurn we do 3 community events for them Remembrance service, Carols at an OAP home and the rdational Mayors lunch for the elderly of Marlow.

Next year also sees the first of a charity concert specifically for the Mayors chosen charities.

Its very much both sides helping each other to give the community something to be proud of.
    A lot of our well paid jobs come via the Town Council in a roundabout way as the community jobs always attract the high profile people of the town who then hear the band.

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I think it depends on whether it's your local community or not. We do a remembrance service but not in Yiewsley, probably because the local remembrance service is done by the RAF band (I think). I can't remember if we get paid or not, I don't think so, but given the huge amounts of unpaid jobs we do (even our own concert on the 6th is for charity!) especially at this time of year there does come a point where you have to say enough is enough (though I personally feel remembrance sunday is special enough to warrant a freebie).
  9. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Remembrance Day [Remembrance Sunday]

Am I correct............I always thought that Remembrance Day [Remembrance Sunday] was organised by The Royal British Legion and not the council...............
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Remembrance Day

We don't take a fee for this job and it usually costs us as we have to buy the wreath from the Royal British Legion. We have occassionally been given donations and one of our past Presidents was also involved with them. We are also holding a Remembrance themed concert the week before and a third of our ticket income is going to the British Legion.

There are other benefits to be had from "free" jobs like this, how could we expect the local community to support us at concerts etc if we didn't do this event?

I do find the order of wreath laying a bit odd - state, government and opposition parties, services, WI, Brownies, Cubs etc and we are usually well down that list. Our band has attended every single service on this day since inception and one of the names read out from WW2 was a band cornet player. I think there is a formal heirarchy to the order of the organisations but it always seems weird when a new organisation comes along e.g. Billy Bear Nursery or something similar.
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This was the situation in our village until about 6 years ago when the whole event was handed over to the Parish Council as The Royal British Legion were finding it too difficult to arrange the road march. I also wonder whether this may have been led by the Events insurance situation - probably easier for the council to take on the responsibility.

We are organising a street closure in the village next year for a festival and are paying £500 for the insurance to protect the organisers etc if anything went wrong.
  12. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

I think that playing at the local Rememberance Service/Parade is one of the few civil duties a band should perform for nowt.
  13. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

All working together for the cause, thats all
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not certain who organises our Armistice Parade in Hadleigh, but I suspect it is the British Legion themselves as the main one for the Borough of Castle Point is down on Canvey (I think in the afternoon, as I'm pretty sure the Mayor manages to attend both of them).

Our band certainly wouldn't expect to receive payment for such an event, or the other regular Local Authority functions we do, particularly the Civic Carol Service. As others have said, it helps reinforce our links with the community, and we have quite frequently received contributions from the Mayor's Fund in recognition of that involvement, which usually goes to support the SA's work iin general, rather than going specifically to the band.
  15. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Bands should definitely not get paid for these parades, and if money is offered it should be given smartly to the British Legion Poppy Appeal.

I can remember one Parade in London (no names no pack drill) where the Mayor insisted that the Brownies and Cubs should lead the parade, demonstrating the Borough's committment to young people.

The Jewish ex-Servicemen's Association then left the Parade, and the Parade Marshall had to quietly, and diplomatically, point out to the Mayor that the parade "order", (and that for laying wreaths) is governed by "Orders of Precedence", laid down by Parliament, and the Mayor had no power to change them. I never did find out whether there are any real Orders of Precedence, but it certainly allowed a certain amount of face saving.

16. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Member

Well seeing as its my birthday this rememberance Sunday i think we should be paid. God getting up early! no l8 mornin. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
  17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The last four rememberance sundays (and I've only been playing four and a bit years) I've turned out for one band or another. Never charge depping fees, but that's my own choice. It may be because there's a strong forces connection in my family, (I'd have been in queens uniform myself if I hadn't flunked the medical.) but it's just always been something I've wanted to do.

I know it's getting to the stage where very few bands can afford to turn out for nothing, so I can understand a fee to cover expenses. But to my mind, it always feels like an honour and a duty to be playing round the cenotaph on rememberance day. I'll always do it when I can.

And I've massive respect for anyone who plays the last post. Being a bass player, i'm excused it, but it must be the hardest solo you ever play.
  18. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think yes. Personally I wouldn't go to a Remembrance service out of choice so I feel happier knowing the band gets some financial reward for having to sit through one. At the end of the day, most local bands have no official ties to the British Legion or any other military-style body - so why should they get special treatment? We quite happily charge other bodies (such as the national trust, local councils and miner's welfares for instance) for our services.