Remember me ??

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by pegleg, Jan 12, 2005.

1. pegleg

pegleg Member

Wondering if there is a reason that I have to put my password in every time, even though it is checked off to remember me.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    reason
    password
    Wondering
    time
  3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Which browser? You've probably got cookies expiring at the end of each session.

Tim.

4. pegleg

pegleg Member

I am using IE 6.0. When I logout, it says, "all cookies cleared"

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If you are hitting the log out link in tMP, then that's the problem. This forgets your session by clearing the cookies. Don't log out, just close the browser.

6. pegleg

pegleg Member

brasscrest: I really don't know anything about computers, but should I go to check on other sites but still be logged on to tMP? If I leave tMP forum and go surfing other sites, should I log off or not?

7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

2 issues here.

1 - cookies & sessions.
    a session is basically a block of memory-time on a webserver that is assigned to a user. when you hit the site, the server assigns you a session, and uses this to hold your configuration while you are using the site. All fine so far.
    When you browse away from tMP, the session remains "alive" for a period of time. If you don't navigate back to tMP within this period, the session times out and you are effectively "logged out". If you do return, then you can continue the sesison as normal. Most browsers utilise cookies to keep track of your session info, and this is why tMP clears cookies when you physically log out.

So to answer the first issue - it's perfectly fine to leave tMP logged in when you leave. If you have the "remember me" option checked and cookies enabled, tMP will read the cookie on your machine, and log you back in again when you return. This may be in a different session, or it may be continuing a previous session.
    If you don't have cookies enabled, or you have chosen not to check the "remember me" option, then tMP won't be able to auto log you back in, and you will be asked for a username and password.
    Finally, if you physically log out from tMP, then the cookies will be force-cleared, and you will be prompted for a username/password combination on your next return.

2. Another topic close to this one is the browser's "remember this password" option, which holds a record of your username/password in the registry on your machine, and auto-fills it in for you when you return to the site. You may have turned this off, or chosen not to use it for tMP.

Hope this helps a little.

Kepps

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

(I'll try to explain without being overly geeky :) - also see Keppler's explanation above)

I never use the "Log Out" link on tMP. The underlying software will "disconnect" after some period of inactivity (not sure how long, it's probably something that John put in when he set up the bulletin board). The next time you visit tMP, the software will look for its cookie (a small file that it wrote to your machine when you checked the "remember me" option). If it finds one, then it uses that information to log you on. When you use the "Log Out" link, the software clears (erases) the cookie, so you have to log in again on your next visit.

Not logging out of tMP will have no effect on browsing anywhere else.

Not being able to see your IE settings, I can't say for sure that not logging out will completely fix your problem. There are settings that prevent cookies from being written at all, and also that automatically delete cookies when you end a session or close the browser. Some cookies are not entirely healthy to have (they can be used to "track" your browsing from site to site), so some people disable cookies entirely.

You might also want to consider changing to the Firefox browser (there are several threads on tMP that discuss the differences, and a link to get the software on the portal page), which includes a feature called "tabbed browsing", which is much better than the standard IE browsing model.

9. pegleg

pegleg Member

Thanks to brasscrest and keppler. I have downloaded Firefox and will try it for awhile.