Remember how good music used to sound? ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Dec 2, 2008.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've just seen the SA CD advert on telly and wondering if it does the trick for positive advertising? Does it really speak out for modern bands? :confused:

View the advert here
  2. leisa

leisa Active Member

Nooo, I don't think so.

Ive not seen that before but my mum informed me she saw it the other day and she though it was a bit odd. My mum doesn't play and never has had anything to do with bands except for what i do, which in my opinion is the type of person that needs convincing. I agree with you, the advert is a tad old fashioned!!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

With the greatest of respect to those involved, why did you expect any different for this product?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are many similar discs on sale already. If they really wanted to create a renaissance, then more thought would be placed on more relevant & contemporary arrangements than resorting to reinforce the stereotyped image we have.
  6. KMJ Recordings

OK, I'll rephrase ;)

What gave you that idea? They want to sell CDs....
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

They should have put the Floral Dance and a few Peter Skellern hits on it then! :oops: If anyone walked into a shop and found it amongst other band CDs, he/she would probably opt for one of the cheapies!
  8. KMJ Recordings

They'll go for the one they've seen on the telly - and it's got the Universal marketing dept behind it, just the same as Fron MVC have.
  9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

It's my impression the CD is a fund raiser for the social work of the Salvation Army, not a promo for brass bands. I've not heard it (except for a couple of advertizing clips) but judging by the track listing, its aimed at those wanting nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings -- not brass band aficionados.

I'm not sure what "Remember how good music used to sound" really means. Is the stress on good or music? Either way, I don't think Universal wants the public to be critical, it's big sales they're after.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm not denying that advertising works for sales promotion as people are likely to buy recognised products than ones that are not. I find it sad that they think that brass bands have to be marketed in this way.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that's what struck me from the start ... what are they meaning? So ambiguous! Why didn't the advert mention charitable proceeds? I assume the ISB is playing on the disc?
  12. KMJ Recordings

Think's appealing to a latent audience that's already there....the people that used to listen to bands in bandstands when they were nippers and think "eeeh, it were grand listening to that brass band stuff in t' park"....hence the link with 'remember when' and 'good music'....

OK, so I'm being potentially patronising and totally cynical. But IMO that's what who it's aimed at - and there are a lot of them.

Mr Bowen's quite correct - it's intended to shift units and you need to appeal to people's memories. To an extent it almost doesn't matter who's playing it or what's on it....when it's this kind of marketing it's all about exactly that - marketing.

The other thing to perhaps consider is that the charitable aim of providing support for the SA could potentially exclude some parts of the potential market who might choose not to support the cause.
  13. KMJ Recordings

And similarly, using the ISB could potentially open up a wider market......

Swings and roundabouts.....they've just got to get the line in the right place.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

15. KMJ Recordings

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Largo? Yawn. Nessun Dorma? Yawn. Somewhere over the rainbow? Yawn. Nimrod? Yawn. Wind Beneath My Wings? Yawn, with a little mouth vomit.

Ah well, I won't be buying it, but I don't think it was aimed at me. It was clearly aimed at those that like the sterotypical brass band in the park, and they'll probably sell a lot over Christmas. I foresee multitudes of grandmothers and elderly aunts getting copies to listen to on the cold evenings to take their mind off the fuel bills.
  17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I suppose the problem is, that's how the majority of non-banders think brass banding is.

The CD will no doubt be extremely popular - far more popular than if they'd risked a few more contemporary items. They've picked their audience and played to it, and will no doubt do well out of it.

But it doesn't help the rest of us much in proving that bands are versatile musical ensembles who can play more than "the theme from the hovis advert."

Yes I know, It's the Largo from Dvorak's "for the new World" but I'll lay you fifty quid it's billed as "the Hovis tune" on the CD cover.
  18. KMJ Recordings

Nope ;)

From the Tesco site...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I stand corrected!

I quite like William Arms Fisher's "Goin Home" transcription. I do think it sounds better on a SATB choir than a male voice choir if using a band for accompaniment though. Can get a bit muddy with the middle band and male voices all vying for the same octave range.
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Depends which arrangement of Over The Rainbow it is (why do people insist on calling it Somewhere Over The Rainbow?). If its the horn solo (Richards? I can't remember) then OK it is a bit obvious, but the Morrison one, or Ray Farr's superb flugel solo version are both quality, quality arrangements.

As for the other stuff - well yeah I take your point. But then IIRC this time last year there was a CD released called something like "Sound of the Valleys" featuring the Fron Male Voice Choir (interestingly also featured on this CD), and I'll bet at the time there was a similar thread to this one raised on an equivalent forum somewhere ( The World didn't end after its release and I'm sure a good number of people bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its now propbalby tucked away in their CD collection alongside the handful of other Male Voice Choir CD's all containing the same sort of tracks.

In closing I finally united my iPod with my new(ish) car this morning and drove to work listening to a bunch of recordings of Desford's European and National's wins. YotD, Harmony Music, An Epic Symphony, Seascapes etc etc. I love it, but I bet if it went on general release you could probably count the number of copies sold on the fingers of the people actually playing in the band. At best...

BTW - Keith - I fixed your link! :)