Relining an instrument case...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Occasionally I have to go in the local sewing shop for webbing and buckles for drum flight case repairs, that sort of thing. I pass all the rolls of furry material and imagine some of them would look really nice inside a musical instrument case - better than the drab blacks, browns and blues you often get.

Has anyone relined their instrument case? Hints and tips welcome. I've held back so far, as I'm scared I'd use the wrong glue, and the the fumes would cause the lacquer on my trumpet to go cloudy.

2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I havn't had to re line mine but I did have to put a couple of new handles on.
    a couple because the air line broke the first new one when I went to NZ with the Band. I put a leather one on so it's a bit more flexable

3. BrianT

BrianT Member

Catch Repairs...

I'm even more tempted to reline my case now. The other night the leaf spring in the right-hand sliding catch on my strad trumpet case failed, so the case lid couldn't be secured closed. I thought there was nothing to lose trying to repair it, so I centre-punched and then drilled out the rivets holding the catch on. Inside the catch, the leaf spring had broken very close to one end, so I was able to take the remaining shard and reuse it. Then I reattached the catch using 2mm bolts, which are not flat-headed like the original rivets, but they do the job. Thing is, I had to loosen quite a lot of lining material to get access to the wood behind the catch. It's all a bit floppy now. I quite fancy a leopard skin patterned lining in my case, but I'm still not sure about the choice of glue...

4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

go funky!! :)