Rehearsing Areas piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by groovy, Jan 13, 2007.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

Are you enjoying your testpiece? I think the Wayfarer is ace.

2. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

yeah liking the wayfarer too.lovely opening and 2nd movement.watch out for the start of third movement-could be fun on stage!!!

3. r055c

r055c New Member

Our band haven't even started rehearsing it yet :-/ i'm looking forward to it tho. altho Black Dyke make it sound easy.... i'm sure it isn't

4. oddbod

oddbod Member

I like Wayfarers - Ancient history I know - but when I played it as a teeny in the seventies, some of our main worries were - back row and horns intonation - in lots of places - seem to remember they are written together a lot in quiet parts.

Also the opening of the second Mov - haven't seen it for years - ff - in unison on Db's for Bb instruments?

And the Euph solo trill in the first mov - top G - so easy to end up on a tremolo instead of a trill - I used to have to think of a top A trill and go down instead of up! - Hah!

I remember a really good dynamic contrast in the last Mov -as the triplet semiquaver passage dims.. and dims... to near silence... then Whoosh! everyone ff at the start of a new phrase!... nice - I'll certainly be trying to listen to as many as I can - just for the enjoyment.

5. i like my testpiece the seaons although we aint really played through it yet! due to problems lol!
    but it seems pretty nice! with lots of solo cornet = ( unlucky for me lol

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, C major arpeggio in unison between troms and basses. Who says you need pages of demi-semi quavers written in stupid keys to make challenging music. I bet more than one band on any given area contest mess those first few bars up.

I'm loving the Wayfarer - in fact its getting dangerously close to replacing Journey Into Freedom as my favorite Eric Ball piece. Even if I can't play that damned horrible run just before figure 2 :)

7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

We've been playing this all of this morning for the conductor's workshop thingy and i sat principal cornet and i loved it! It's such a lovely piece of music nice and tunefull and just a great piece to play! Unfortunatly we're stuck with Carnival! :mad:
    Chris

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'm enjoying Prelude and Jubilate (Darrol Barry) so far, lots for the band and me to get our teeth into, and some really nice musical moment in the slow stuff, should be good on the day!

9. oddbod

oddbod Member

I envy you Garry...Sorry for you Chris...

Oddbod from Edwinstowe... reading Carnival :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  10. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I'm enjoying The Wayfairer too. Work for everyone to do, basically straightforward in terms of playing the notes but plenty of traps for the unwary - and that goes for us conductors as well!

The impression I am getting from this thread so far is that people are actually enjoying some of the Areas pieces... This must be practically unheard of!!

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ball
    Childs
    Dyke
    Mr Ball
    Mr Childs
  12. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Jury's still out on Wayfarer for me. Pleasant melody develops through the 1st and 2nd movement then is seriously let down in the 3rd, where after a promising start it all goes a bit weird before stumbling to a close. Might just be the way we play it, but I'm not a great fan of Eric Ball anyway.

Is certainly a piece for settled bands. No getting players in at the last second to play off 2 rehearsals for this one methinks.

13. oddbod

oddbod Member

I agree as a player Colin. But - the last Mov is more peculiar as a player than as a listener.

The overall composition when just sat and listened to from start to finish - I personally think is an intriguing experience - and the first half of the third mov. is a welcome change in mood, texture etc - and the low minim theme and the following "jaunty" cornet/Euph variation do pass quite quickly to listeners - leading them on… wondering where it’s going….

I’ve listened to old Thoresby rehearsal recordings from the 70’s – and that is the very part that let us down (We got 2nd on it regionally at the Mineworkers midland qualifying – I think it was 1976) – Desford won – and they made complete sense of that section.

I think you’ve really found a very good pointer for competitors – as well as all the other things that can go wrong – the pressure is very much on conductor and players at the same time, to get this section spot on. – I’m very much looking forward to listening to as many as I can.

14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Really like Prelude and Jubilate. A much nicer piece than what we've got at Butlins at the weekend (Edwin of Northumbria).

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

As usual Daniel not the best place to pass that comment - have a look at the previous poster's real name :clap: .

16. Texus

Texus Member

Working slowly through Isiah 40. Absolutely marvelous piece, beautiful melodies and moments and an outragous trb trio. There should be some great fun in all areas here....

17. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

The Seasons

Hi Folks

Just starting to get into The Seasons and was wondering if anybody is being daring enough to play the second movement as slow as on the recording!!
    We are trying to be "flexible" around the 120 mark.

I like the 1st movement best so far, too much horn in the 2nd (from a Euphs point of view) and not sure about the 3rd - I would prefer a real quick march to test rather than a pompy procesional, which seems to have been the flavour for most of the 4th section tests in the past.

Good luck to all bands whatever the test.

McEuphie

18. Does anybody playing the seasons notice a melody running through 2nd mov ( I think) of Softly as I leave You,? as the piece was written in memory of the composers wife, do you think that was their favourite piece of music?

19. englishgill

englishgill Member

Also loving the Wayfarer - and I'm finding it kind of strange to like an Areas test piece, although I've only played a few. I seem to remember tolerating rather than enjoying Comedy (not funny so we could have them under the trade descriptions act for that) and Tristan Encounters was definitely not a favourite of mine. Voyage of Discovery had its moments but I was never going to be humming that in the car. However the opening of Wayfarer (and yes ok I am a horn player) keeps on popping into my head - and I don't even mind it being there!! The difficult runs just mean I actually practice! Looking forward to getting it together - if it happens its going to be awesome!

20. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I think I must have been lucky in this as so far since I started contesting in 1998 I have quite enjoyed all of the area pieces, including Tristan Encounters! We haven't really looked at the Wayfarer yet, more bothered with Butlins.

21. MattB

MattB Member

I love the Seasons- such a well written piece Prof. Wilby!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ball
    Childs
    Dyke
    Mr Ball
    Mr Childs