Rehearsals before Areas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Feb 25, 2005.

How many rehearsals do you have the fortnight before a major contest?

1. 12-14

4 vote(s)
  2. 11

4 vote(s)
  3. 10

10 vote(s)
  4. 9

7 vote(s)
  5. 8

21 vote(s)
  6. 7

22 vote(s)
  7. 6

20 vote(s)
  8. 5

8 vote(s)
  9. 4

5 vote(s)
  10. 3 or fewer

3 vote(s)
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The discussion about conducting one band and paying in another brought up what I think is an interesting question. How many rehearsals/(concerts with the test piece) does your band have the fortnight before Areas (or if not from the UK, your country's major contest).

I will make sure to keep the poll anonymous so that nobody is tipping off a competing band ;)
  2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

We are just having 6 in the last 2 weeks but also a day of sectionals. Home practice is just as important. Even its just half an hour on non-rehearsal nights of long notes, lip flexes etc. I can certainly feel the difference if I do just that bit more leading up to contest day!!

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Do you mean "full" band rehearsals, specifically, or would you include additional "sectional" rehearsals?
  4. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

We have about 2/3 two weeks before and then from the sunday-saturday of the week before (assuming the contests on a sunday) we have rehersals every night (full band)
  5. DublinBass

I would only include the sectionals I have to be at. The idea being that if tere is one low brass sectional and 1 high brass sectoinal I would only count the low brass and the two half band rehearsals are almost like a full band rehearsal.
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It the depends on the piece and how it is going!! Generally though, we have the normal Tuesday/Thursday practices with another the night before the contest and maybe one at the weekend before. By two weeks before the sectionals are normally well out of the way for us so its just a case of nailing all of the various different parts of the piece together into something resembling a performance. :D
  7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

7 this year excluding any sectionals. Plus we have a concert to get in the week before! :)
  8. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We've just done a intensive tuition weekend in Glasgow, with 6 tutors covering the sectionals plus band practices, but from now on we'll just have 4 practices with Craig Anderson before Dundee in 2 weeks or so. We mite have a couple on our own just to keep it going.

Craig is taking his own band Newmilns & Galston as well, so hes to work with them too. Think they'll be out 6 nights of the contest week & we'll have the other nights practice, plus he's to drive 3 hours before he can practice with us anyway, what a busy man!
  9. pjb120

pjb120 Member

one tonight, one in the morning, one last night, one last Tuesday, one last Sunday, one a week yesterday, one a week last tuesday, one a week last Sunday - 8

Im so sick of this test piece already (never liked it from the start - its such a naff piece!), good job we'll be playing it for the last time tomorrow!!

Good luck to everyone in the 1st section at Darlington tomorrow!
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We have got 7 :clap: :biggrin:
  11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your opinion of the piece - we have another week to suffer it !
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

We're doing more rehearsals this year than we have ever donebefore. Normally we just carry on with normal twice a week, with one or two extras in the last week and a couple of sectionals.

Just as well I'm off work poorly sick!
  13. Fergus

Fergus Member

Were rehearsing next Tuesday then every night from Friday 4th through to Sat 12th with the contest on the Sunday. This is normal for us at this time of year.
  14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's normally two rehearsals two weeks before, four the week before, and some sectionals before each practice.

That's basically how we're doing it this year. We've got a lot of rehearsals on, but do we need 'em! Ususally one has the luxury of a couple of frantic weeks pre-areas, then some time off to chill out and rid the brain of all those evil double-sharps and silly time signatures before getting back to sorting out a concert programme.

This year, it's Rienzi at the yorkshire areas, then St Magnus and Harmony Music at the NZ brass band championships, then allsorts at the NZ band of the year contest, then montage at the senior cup! :shock:

I'll see you all in blackpool if I'm still alive by then!!!!
  15. DublinBass

Makes almost a perfect bell-shaped curve...except for 9 (that's odd ;))
  16. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

We have Sunday (full) Tuesday (full ) Weds (half the band) friday (full) Sunday (full) Tuesday (full) Weds (full) Friday (full)

Awwww it's all good fun :biggrin:
  17. DublinBass

^ And I thought you were going to say "Have a run through with Dyke and Fodens and..." ;)
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

we've got a few weeks till our area. I expect it'll get a little hectic on the run up to the 20th of March!
  19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Personally I'm doing 3 rehearsals... one tomoro... then Friday and Saturday... contest day sunday :biggrin: should be good 8)
  20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I guess now a fair chunk of the contests are out of the way I guess it's worth asking 2 questions.... to the bands that put in loads of extra rehearsals, was it worth it? And to the bands that didn't... do you think it would have made much difference?