Rehearsal rooms

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Gazabone, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Just wondering how many bands;

1. Own their own bandroom outright,
    2. Share with other organisations,
    3. Hire a venue for routine rehearsals.

or what other options there are....

... and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are.

Cheers all. :)

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We own our own place, a decent-sized building with facilities, built 40 years ago. It's a great resource to have, bringing in substantial hire fees that very much ease the business of running the band. On the negative side, it requires regular maintenance - we are in the process of spending quite a few thousands on a much-needed and long-awaited internal refurbishment, and every 10-15 years the flat roof needs replacing (again a number of thousands). The subsidence we had a few years ago wasn't cheap or quick to fix either.

The rocketing price of land and things property-related in the South of England over the last 20 years though makes achieving ownership now very difficult for those bands that don't already have it. Much the same as it is for individuals...

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think I've played with bands that cover the full list on the OP

First band I joined rehearsed in various pub rooms, separate or even in the bar. These were all provided free of charge and generally the players stayed on for a few pints afterwards. This all changed locally when the miners strike hit (1980s) and they really needed to charge for the facilities.

Band eventually moved on to a larger church hall with better storage facilities for the library etc but was still shared with other groups and an annual donation made for the use of the hall - not "rent" as that would potential require the building to be rated.

Played at another band at the same time who had their own small bandroom which means didnt have to set the band up for every rehearsal when using multi-use halls but this did suffer from a flood one year and considerable damage was caused to music and instrument cases and perc.

Current band uses a church hall, also shared with other groups but we have storage and access to the full library and some under stage storage for unused instruments etc. Disadvantage of sharing means that we have to set up and down at each rehearsal but it's not that time consuming and although we have rehearsal for 3 bands for 7 hours a week it would be inefficient to have this to ourselves.

I also play at an orchestra which hires rooms as required for their weekly rehearsals

4. nethers

nethers Active Member

We own our own bandroom, thoughtfully built by people a long time ago! The local organ society use the space also (and pay rent), also a nearby pottery place holds exhibitions there occasionally. Rent received is modest and covers general upkeep of the room.

At the last band I conducted we sorted a new bandroom (in fact an old building moved on to the site!) with full renovation etc. It was a massive task and huge team effort, but it will pay off for the band for years to come.

5. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Even worse down here on the South Coast - I don't believe there is a band around here that owns it's own hall.
    However, we do have the advantage of having been at the same Pub for so long that the Brewery always make new tenants aware that we come with the deal! The current landlord does charge a rent but it's lower than it should be and as a result, we repay him by using the facilities of the bar after rehearsals. .....

I recall being told that the MD's fees at St Austell were not far off being funded by fruit machine profits in the band club -not sure how true that is but hopefully someone from there will share their story!

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We own our bandroom & pub ! :)

Came & have a beer if you're ever in the area

7. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

The band I used to play with owned its' own space (a converted cricket pavilion) on a piece of land they pay a peppercorn rent to the council for. The beauty of this was that it was left set up all the time, and everyting the band owned could be stored there. In fact it has just been refurbished and that was funded by a grant from the local council.

The band I now play with has its own band room which it rents from the council but is too small to accommodate the band! It is used for storage for everything that is not currently in use, and 5 minutes walk away they have the use of a church hall in return for playing at said church's summer fete and putting on a concert in the autumn. There is enough storage space there for the drum kit, conductors stand and the spare music currently being played. Everyone brings their own stand so there is no need to store them and we use the church hall chairs. The downside to this is that we have to set up and take down at every rehearsal. C'est la vie I guess, a small price to pay for an almost free venue.

8. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

I personally think that unless the room is falling apart and a damp money pit, to have your own bandroom is always the best thing, the danger of course is not keeping on top of the maintenance, it's all to easy to spend what you would have spent in rent on passing fads only to find that you can't afford that large maintenance bill when it comes in.

Farnworth and Walkden - Have their own bandroom which they allow other groups to use for a donation, this more or less covers the running costs.
    Rivington and Adlington - Have their own bandroom which is a little on the cosy side.
    Hoover Bolton - Rehearse in the Ukranian Club at a modest rent. (they do have their own room so don't have to pack things away)
    Eagley Band - Rehearse at The Last Drop Village, again for a modest rent and have their own room so no packing up again.
    Wingates - Own bandroom.
    Greenalls - Own bandroom (shared with Ashton Brass Band)
    Brindle - Own bandroom

9. bbg

bbg Member

We recently moved in to our "own place" - on an approval / trial basis pending the hopeful completion of a management agreement .The premises were a Bowling Club, rented from the local authority, which has an adjacent and thriving tennis club. We are co-existing happily with the tennis folks so far, as we organise our access / storage etc, and hugely enjoying not having to set up and clear up for each rehearsal.

10. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Stamford Brass have our own bandroom. Built on land rented from the council on a peppercorn rent by members of the band. One question I would ask is how many band rooms have flat "false ceilings" or do you have a "pent" vaulted roof? At the moment we have an open ^ shaped roof which seems to send sound bouncing all over. Our "committe room has a flat ceiling (but not big enough to get a whole band in)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    routine rehearsals
    Rehearsal rooms
    bands
    organisations
  12. chill

chill Member

Sandhurst band have their own band room.
    Vaulted ceiling which was not good for acoustics.

We bought some sound insulating foam cheap off ebay from a company offloading it, and our kind, now prior-chairman, built some frames and mounted the foam on the walls, in corner sound traps and hung some frames from the ceiling to also trap some of the reverb.

We estimate we've reduced the reverb in the room by approx 50%. It's great, and our ears don't bleed any more.
    Oh, and we also invested in some perspex percussion shields. So those wrap right around our percussion section, for which the bass section is extremely grateful now :)