Rehearsal Attendance ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Apr 17, 2005.

?

On average, how many players attend each rehearsal of your band ?

1. 20 plus

45 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. 15 - 20

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. 10 - 15

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. less

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What's the average number of players that attend your bands rehearsals ?

2. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I say 15-20 but that does include alot from our junior band who fill some seats up for us.

If i was to say from our senior band i would have to say 10-15.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It may be a little misleading, in that as a large SA corps band we have about 35 players when everyone is there, but our rehearsal numbers rarely drop below about 24, and we often have over 30 present.

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We're very lucky and have enjoyed good reheasals for a long while now. We have a full team of around 32 players and there were 29 present tonight, plus me! Average is 26-29 I suppose.

(But we're still on the lookout for a solo cornet or rep player!)

D

5. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we always have over 25, sometimes its over 30!:clap:

6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Usually quite good, maybe 1 or 2 missing odd nights and even then I think most parts are covered, so on average 27 turning up every night.

We even had a full band on a couple Sat night practices, which I was quite amazed at!!

7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We are having well attended rehearsals at the moment, which is great, but we do now have 4 horns and 3 baritones. Is it a good idea to rehearse with an 'over-size' band? Will this have a detrimental effect when the band is reduced to contest size? Has anyone else experienced this situation and how well (or badly) did it work?

8. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

At Marlow we have excellent attendance when complete we have 36, on average I would say we have 28-30 every week.

I think part of the success is only rehearsing once a week (although we have two nearer big events). In addition the constant supply of fresh new music by kind courtesy of our treasurers wallet is a big help as it keeps the players interested. At section 4 level that is most important.

Mind you we could do with a regular Sop player!

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

OK checking our average since the beginning of the year we have a figure of 24 out of 30 members however the "average" is hit by a few players whose attendance is in the 1 in 4 rehearsals. 17 members attend 75-100% of the rehearsals and 10 attende 50-75%. 3 players attend less than 1 in 2.

Statistics being what they are this doesn't seem to reflect my "opinion" that we have well attended rehearsals so just looking at the last 7 rehearsals we have an average of 26 plus an additional average of 2 guest players.

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

We tend to get around 14 - 15, which is a good percentage of our total membership. Contact me if you want to swell our numbers ;)

DaveR
    MD
    Pangbourne and District Silver Band

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    number
    players
    Rehearsal Attendance
    bands rehearsals
    average number of players
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The National Capital Band has a current membership of 33, and we have had very good attendance this season (our seasons run from September to June). Most rehearsals we are close to full attendance.

We have recently (since 2002) been through a tough stretch where we had a massive turnover of players (we had 14 leave during and after the 2002 season), and five MDs in three years.

We've had stable leadership and membership for about a year now, and our MD is excellent and enthusiastic, which I think really has helped the attendance quite a bit.

13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

There are some pretty good numbers there...

We are averaging about 15 a rehearsal, which is pretty good - we have a few empty chairs, and a few shift workers in the band making a full band impossible.

14. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We currently have 36 members who regularly turn up to senior band practise, and there's often about 2 or 3 missing. So we have rehearsals of about 33 each week! :)

15. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We seem to do pretty well these days, rarely have many empty seats, usually alwys more than 19. This has improved considerably since we appointed our new conductor last year. (He is is really fab!!!!)

16. persins

persins Member

Over sized Bands??

Stevetrom,

In my view, rehearsing with an oversized band is fine in certain circumstances as it encourages more people to get involved and enjoy banding. The more players that you have available to you, the better chances you have of being able to field a full band on the "bigger jobs". You must be careful however, that you don't allow potential positional issues to fester. If players don't feel that there is scope to progress and improve then it may become frustrating. You may then find that your overly large band very quickly becomes a band struggling for members!!!

Having said this, having an over sized band can indeed upset the balance of the sound. It would obviously be a good idea to trim back the band to the correct number of players a reasonable period of time before a contest so that those playing in it can readjust to the different sound of the band. Again, good diplomacy skills would be required to keep those players happy who are not in the final line up.

Hope this helps!!

Simon

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Persins...this is a fantastic point brought up all around!!

Because the BBC (brass band of columbus) is in the States, there are not many deps available. So...the band typically carries 35-40 members.

Fortunately, our contest requires requires 30 members on stage per piece...which for a contest with a set test piece and typically about 18 minutes extra to fill means we can rotate players in and out...so we all get to play at a contest!!

The difficulty would probably come if we (as in the UK) had a 1 piece contest.

But I think the point you brought up is excellent!! However, for our average gig, we are useually well off (although we did get a good crack against us on our "Americans We" CD for having not having enough individuality and tone heard...or summat!!)

18. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

Dearham are gettin full turn outs most rehearsal nights......sometimes get the odd one or two unavailable through work commitments or helping out other bands and the like, but on the whole we are doing pretty well at the minute.

keep it up lads n lasses :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: