Rehearsal Absentees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andy_pandy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

:D
    Sleep well, David!

2. toptutti

toptutti Member

Now that would have my backrow bouncing in their seats - one way of belting out the um-chuck

3. toptutti

toptutti Member

Repiano is a very important part and probably has more to do than the tutti cornets in front row. If you go from 3rd or 4th tutti cornet to rep I would call that a promotion - not a demotion.
    At the moment we play Howard Snells Irving Berlin Suite. The second movement is a fantastic cornet solo called A pretty girl is like a melody. Guess which part was given the solo by mr Snell - the repiano![/QUOTE]

A wise man in the middle once told me the five important seats in the cornet benches are the top two on the frontrow, rep, first 2nd and first 3rd. Out of these five seats my favourite is rep but at the moment I find myself playing 3rd which poses its own unique problems like trying to look full of enthusiasm on those evenings where all we play are long notes and um-chucks

mikelyons likes this.
  4. euphoria

euphoria Member

A wise man in the middle once told me the five important seats in the cornet benches are the top two on the frontrow, rep, first 2nd and first 3rd. Out of these five seats my favourite is rep but at the moment I find myself playing 3rd which poses its own unique problems like trying to look full of enthusiasm on those evenings where all we play are long notes and um-chucks[/QUOTE]

A few soprano players may have an issue with that statement :)

mikelyons likes this.
  5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Only on the rare occasions we consent to being considered part of the cornet section! (When it suits us, in other words) ;)

Jack E likes this.
  6. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

This hits the nail on the head for me. 'Best player' is subjective as there are different aspects to being 'best'. The rep player does need to be confident playing independent parts; something the 3rd and 4th front line players don't often need to do. I also find that there is also a loneliness of sound in the rep seat; unlike the front line, the rep seat doesn't have the comfort of players playing from behind. This can make the exposed passages feel extra alone.

Slider1 likes this.