Rehearsal Absentees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andy_pandy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. toptutti

toptutti Member

No undead on my backrow..... well maybe on a Sunday morning in Butlins

2. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

Repiano is a very important part and probably has more to do than the tutti cornets in front row. If you go from 3rd or 4th tutti cornet to rep I would call that a promotion - not a demotion.
    At the moment we play Howard Snells Irving Berlin Suite. The second movement is a fantastic cornet solo called A pretty girl is like a melody. Guess which part was given the solo by mr Snell - the repiano![/QUOTE]
    I cannot remember the conductor who once told me that he always tried to have his second best Bb cornet player on rep

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Perhaps just personal experience, but it seems the higher up the sections you go the more common that view becomes.

I've known several 3rd/4th section bands treat it as a stepping stone from 2nd to front row with young, up-and-coming players - whereas in 1st or champ, it's usually one of the very strongest and most confident players in the section (something I'm very glad of when it comes to sitting next to them).

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Someone once said to me that they thought the Principal Cornet was the leader of the front row, and the Rep was leader of the back row. I'm not 100% convinced about second-best cornet player, but I do think third-best available cornet is a strong contender for Rep. But at the same time, in my experience I think it's important that the Rep is a natural and confident soloist, and saying that's automatically the second or third best is a bit too black and white. Players have different strengths and weaknesses, and a technically strong player might not be a natural soloist.

4th Cornet, mikelyons and Tom-King like this.
  5. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Oh, please don't stop - it's such fun watching somebody playing hopscotch - in a minefield . . . :cool:

:D
    Jack

Mesmerist likes this.
  6. David Evans

David Evans Member

How do you get the baris to sound like the back row?
    Play lots of wrong notes up an octave.

Here we go...

Mesmerist, 2nd tenor and Jack E like this.
  7. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

In defence of MY sectional colleagues, your baritone section cannot (in your opinion) be good players or you a very derisory person!

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Very good!

9. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

I bet your back row and baritones love you. Love you to meet my band's back row and baritone section. They would probably rip you to pieces in a few seconds. If you are playing on Whit Friday night, I will introduce you!!!!!!
    Using lots of !!!!!! in case someone takes offence at a light hearted quip. Been caught out before.

Mesmerist likes this.
  10. Mesmerist

He's only joking Euphman. :) Ah I see you knew! phew...it does get a bit steamy in here sometimes...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  11. David Evans

David Evans Member

It's well known that the front row are precious, the euphs are divas, the baris are paranoid, troms are idiosyncratic, basses are challenged, horns are ambivalent, Sop is on a different planet and the back row are insurgents. What's wrong with stereotypes?

mikelyons and Mesmerist like this.
  12. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

You forgot percussion, David - 'nomadic tonal hooligans'.
    ;)

Mesmerist likes this.
  13. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

Open about my band, let me know who will be with on Whit Friday and we can meet up. Bring your body armour!!!!

14. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Body armour? That's for wimps . . .

Euphman2 likes this.
  15. Mesmerist

Ah, we did it last year but not enough can make it this time so will miss duelling baritones. Shame, that would be fun to watch!

16. Mesmerist

Could find you a Sumo wrestling suit somewhere Euphman

17. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Easily solved, TopTutti:

upload_2017-4-11_0-7-0.png

Just make sure you're nearer the door than the undead are - some people's sense of humour seems to lock up on Sunday mornings . . . I've no idea why . . . :cool:

mikelyons, toptutti and Mesmerist like this.
  18. Mesmerist

I wish there was a laugh out loud button Jack. That deserved so much more than a like!

19. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I've seen that picture lots of times when I've sent it to friends, M - and it still makes me laugh out loud!

20. David Evans

David Evans Member

Yes Jack E, that was good! but it's late and time for bed, perchance to dream, so I'll leave you with an old favourite,

Q: What do you call a back row cornet correctly noticing the key signature?
    A: Astute.

Q: and actually playing the correct key signature?
    A: Gifted

says it all really doesn't it?

Jack E and Mesmerist like this.