Rehearsal Absentees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andy_pandy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

My guess is that the above comment is very much 'in jest'. The 'back row' players in bands that I've been in seem to be a happy bunch and a mix of very good players who are (now) taking things a bit easier and less experienced players gaining knowledge from them. Why not take it as a complement that they won't let you (an experienced player) escape? Maybe enjoy not having the greater pressure on you that the front row (and Sop?) have on them - it's hard to juggle working, having family duties and finding time to practice difficult stuff too.

Your comment raises, in my mind, the broader point of players' happiness with their position in the band. The person at the front waggling a stick can't really be expected to know whether each and every player is happy playing their current instrument and part - though many MD's will have a good idea about that - but it's definitely a question to ask if someone stops being a regular attender. There may be other issues too or instead to be aware of such as a poor instrument, a health problem, or some difficulty with another player. Players who are enjoying their banding will typically be at almost every rehearsal and event whereas those who are not, and don't create some change themselves, will increasingly turn up only when there's nothing else they want to do.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Jack E and mikelyons like this.
  2. toptutti

toptutti Member

Somewhat tongue in cheek but I will admit to missing the pressures of sop and the occasional praise in the adjudicators comments. The only comments I’ve seen directed at 2nd/3rd cornets have been negative but I did get a ‘sweet rep’ once

I moved back to 3rd because my little girl started playing in the band and I found most of my practice time was spent helping her with her part. It was a proud moment when she sat next to me at the areas. Considering her lack of experience she did a decent job of Rhapsody in Brass but don’t tell her that – just tell her she needs to practice more

Slider1 and Mesmerist like this.
  3. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

I hope that you got it in writing :)

Mesmerist likes this.
  4. David Evans

David Evans Member

It must be catching, I'm sure our back row were praised for something last year.

toptutti and Mesmerist like this.
  5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Bet the baritones weren't...

6. Mesmerist

[QUOTE="2nd tenor, post: 870518, member: 47883". The 'back row' players in bands that I've been in seem to be a happy bunch and a mix of very good players who are (now) taking things a bit easier and less experienced players gaining knowledge from them. Maybe enjoy not having the greater pressure on you that the front row (and Sop?) have on them - it's hard to juggle working, having family duties and finding time to practice difficult stuff too.
    .[/QUOTE]

One of our 3rd cornets moved to front row last week. No sweat. He nailed everything. I don't want to move, I enjoy Rep. One of the 3rds left is a maestro who could play anywhere. He's just had a turn on horn but moved to accommodate a new horn player. He is one of our best cornet players. I think if players have the attitude that it's easy on the back row then they are missing the fun of playing there. Heart and soul is required and throw everything into it. No room for loafers.

Euphonium Lite and toptutti like this.
  7. David Evans

David Evans Member

'Bet the baritones weren't...'

Oh please don't, it's bad enough being invisible but the final straw is when you play out of your skins and really nail something and the MD says "Well played Euphs"

Jack E, mikelyons and Mesmerist like this.
  8. euphoria

euphoria Member

One of our 3rd cornets moved to front row last week. No sweat. He nailed everything. I don't want to move, I enjoy Rep. One of the 3rds left is a maestro who could play anywhere. He's just had a turn on horn but moved to accommodate a new horn player. He is one of our best cornet players. I think if players have the attitude that it's easy on the back row then they are missing the fun of playing there. Heart and soul is required and throw everything into it. No room for loafers.[/QUOTE]
    Repiano is a very important part and probably has more to do than the tutti cornets in front row. If you go from 3rd or 4th tutti cornet to rep I would call that a promotion - not a demotion.
    At the moment we play Howard Snells Irving Berlin Suite. The second movement is a fantastic cornet solo called A pretty girl is like a melody. Guess which part was given the solo by mr Snell - the repiano!

midlandman, toptutti and Mesmerist like this.
  9. Mesmerist

Talking of absentees, have I missed something? What's happened to Bbmad and Mr R? Have they moved over to the orchestra?

10. David Evans

David Evans Member

So you didn't see their posts last Saturday morning, I believe they have both independently decided to take up the viola and flute as they felt it suited them better. A shame but I suppose in one's twilight years one is eager to try anything new.

Mesmerist likes this.
  11. Mesmerist

So they have run off into the sunset together. I didn't see that coming. I'd better retract all my baritone insults to you then or I might end up joining them on the bassoon.

12. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I guess that only they and the moderators know, but I suspect that the privilege of posting has been withdrawn from them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Their names appear to have been expunged from the record! Did I miss summat when I was in Rome?

14. Mesmerist

Rome. That sounds lovely Mike. Good excuse for missing a rehearsal. (Neatly back on topic, did you notice?)

15. notthebest

notthebest New Member

o_O

16. notthebest

notthebest New Member

:rolleyes:

17. Mesmerist

Hello new member. You're not a reincarnation of someone are you? :D

mikelyons likes this.
  18. David Evans

David Evans Member

Lazarus and the Phoenix spring to mind

mikelyons and Mesmerist like this.
  19. Mesmerist

We are on the same wave length Mr Evans. There's a sentence I didn't think I'd write. (No, no, no, must stop with the baritone jokes:))

mikelyons likes this.
  20. David Evans

David Evans Member

Zombies and the undead also spring to mind, AKA basses and the back row

Euphonium Lite and Mesmerist like this.