Regressive Butlins Choices ... ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by GJG, Aug 5, 2018.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I’m very pleased to hear that. What I’m picking up from the conversation is negativity, or rather more negativity for what Brass can offer than is warranted. We do need to recognise our limitations, but also we need to celebrate the things that we do well and even the things that we only do adequately. Bands (Brass or Wind) offer, to my mind, different things than Orchestras; as I see it Bands offer many relatively short pieces of music in variety to their audiences whilst Orchestras concentrate on one long and large piece. Let’s enjoy the difference and concentrate on making what we offer to our audiences something that delights and inspires them. In some cases we won’t be able to offer an even remotely close sound to that of an Orchestra but can we capture something of the piece to entertain our audience with? I believe that usually we can, given a good arrangement.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think perhaps things are in danger of being read in that haven't been either written or meant! You can take it for granted that we all care about and enjoy playing in brass bands a great deal. After all, we are here... You might be surprised to learn that within the brass band subfolder of my Sibelius scores directory at home, there are a number of home-made transcriptions from the orchestral repertoire, given what you seem to be hearing in my words? I care that we do these things well, and that's my motivation here.

Arranging from orchestral score for band is a tricky business to make work well, as discussed above. It's much easier to work successfully from scores for groups that don't have such a wide colour palette - e.g. organ works.

David Broad likes this.
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

A quick reply as I’m taking a rest break between gardening chores.

My comments above certainly aren’t intended to be focussed at any individual so, David, please be assured of my positivity towards you and recognition of your outstanding knowledge and skills. They are just ‘this is how I see it’ comments, and of course I know that at times what I see isn’t necessarily the complete picture.

Orchestras are mentioned and, of course, we associate Clasical Music with them. However much classical work is also written for Piano, Organ and even the humble Recorder so there are plenty of potential pieces to adapt. Classical music was also written for ‘Trombones’, this piece comes to mind but I’m sure that there are many other and better examples, Purcell, Queen Mary Death :

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Many scholars reckon it was a violin piece that Bach expanded.

5. David Broad

David Broad Member

I am quite pleased that Butlins are going for arrangements of classical pieces. We have many many talented arrangers in the Brass Band world (and a fair few with no talent what so ever) and some like me somewhere in the middle, but few who can progress to compositions which can excite an audience.
    I would love to have a test piece based on Abba hits. The Sop parts and Bass parts would really stretch a band, ( guess what I was doodling with last evening). I am sorry but I have never knowingly heard a test piece I would want to listen to, I press next on the CD player when one starts. Most are like descriptive film music. Great as a backdrop to Gary Crant battling with King Kong or views across t' moor int'Artbeat, but the sort of stuff that gets dreary stuff a bad name.... OK I stuff progams full of cliched stuff mainly culled from TV adverts but our audience like them, give them "A Nightingale Sang in Baerkley Square" and they are all reminiscing about outside Privvies, school milk and Ricketts.
    How about a fantasia on James Blunt themes? Or Mad Donna?

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

"I am quite pleased that Butlins are going for arrangements of classical pieces. "

you're obviously NOT a bass trombone player in the 2nd section then :)

7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Who'd want to be that? :p:p

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  8. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

I feel your pain. and what are all the Star Flugel players going to play? :(:(:(

2nd tenor likes this.
  9. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

:):):):):) Actually its my next challenge. Having been a top section cornet player, a 1st section Euphonium player I think its the next progression.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice