Registration Query...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Coverhead, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to be registered with one band in the UK and another abroad?
    I will be moving to The Netherlands next month and have been offered a position in a band over there but, if possible, would also like to stay registered with my old band here (in case they are in desperate need of a 3rd cornet!)

Thanks in advance...
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

It depends how you interpret the rules really...

Both the 'old' BBBR and 'new' BBPL (Kapitol) rules state that "No player shall be registered with more than one band at any one time" which could reasonably be taken to mean you can't be registered with 2 bands in 2 different countries.....
    BUT European players appearing on contest stages with British Bands would suggest that the rule only applies to registrations within England, Scotland & Wales, and there's little or no checking between the different British registries at the moment anyway.
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

oh I can see that Morriss geezer spotting a money making opportunity on the back of this ! :D:sup
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Since the UK nations are about the only ones in Europe to operate a registry then the rule does not apply since you can not be "registered" with a band outwith UK shores. I am unaware of the exact situation as to whether or not there is a Dutch registry. In any case about the only contest it could cause a conflict in is the European, which does not use registration cards.
  5. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

So, all those people who keep telling us we should be like those wonderful European Band Associations have missed the point that they don't have registration? Thanks for this John!
  6. John_D

John_D Member

There always seems to be a number of players from our top bands playing at contests in other countries (e.g. Norway) so I would argue that this is already happening anyway.
  7. nethers

nethers Active Member

At one point I was registered for a band in the UK, one in AUS and one in NZ all at the same time.
  8. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

There's a name for people like you Marc ;)
  9. nethers

nethers Active Member

10. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

It was definitely something 'end', but I'll give you that one.
  11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Just read on Facebook that the English National contest and the Brass Band Registry are to close down.
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The press release on All4brass only mentions the Registry - though there is a Tweet from Brass Band World saying both

Interesting that currently 4barsrest haven't picked this up or even the BBE own webpage
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

14. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

The official press release only mentioned the Registry closure. The English Nationals press release was still at the time, in draft format when (according to BBE) it was 'leaked'.
  15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

TBH, I am thoroughly disgusted with the way things have gone. At Fleetwood, on Sunday, there was quite a lot of discussion about how much banding was costing bands and giving Philip Morris exclusive rights to lord it over our hobby is already having an upward pressure on those costs. This is never going to change. Those of you who were supine in the face of this man's monopolisation of our hobby should be ashamed of the way you have 'laid back and thought of England' while being right royally shafted.

I really do not want my band to qualify at the areas now, because I am horrified at the possible financial contribution I will have to make towards an appearance at the Nationals. even were I not retired, I would find the expense very difficult to justify.
  16. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I would like to think also that in BBE`s eagerness to get the hell out of contesting, that they just didn`t hand over the English Euro qualification spot to Morris without getting something in return first, like the ability to levy English contesting bands at the point of entry to the Nationals for instance.
  17. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

the bulk of the cost of going to the finals is hotels and transport - since when did Morris control that? It's time to move on.
  18. :clap:
  19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Now that Kapitol has full control of the English Registry I wonder how long it will be before moves are afoot to undermine the Scottish and Welsh Registries.
  20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

No tie up at all here then?

"Music on the Move Ltd. is the Official Tour Operator for the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain.After this year's Regional Championships, Music on the Move will be offering complete travel solutions for bands qualifying for both the Lower and Championship Section Finals in Cheltenham and London respectively."
    Over the last few years, Music on the Move has worked with bands to offer a range of solutions, from hotels only to complete travel programmes, which have included coaching, rehearsal rooms and group meals. "