Registration for Uni Students

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Walking round with mt better half over Christmas I hit upon an idea, Why not let official university students have a 2nd registration card for a band local to their uni?

It would maybe encourage players to continue with the their band at home and then not worry about helping a uni band out when away . .

Just a thought, I do have the odd one. Anyone want to put some flesh on the bones (no offence Rich!) and i might put together a letter to Colin at registry for consideration!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Uni Students Walking
    Rich
    uni band
    Uni Students Walking round
    registration card
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I reckon that would be a good idea - I think it has been raised here before - even if there had to be a stipulation for the Areas that they could only play for one of their registered bands.

4. LynneW

LynneW Member

That sounds a really good idea, and I think the rules already state that a player can only play for one band in each year's series of Areas.

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

No, opens a whole can of worms.....

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

But surely if it enables young players to keep up playing competitively without the battle between their "home" band and the one they play with at Uni, it could stop some players being lost.

7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I'd like this idea.

Would make things much easier for me.

Would there be the normal stipulation about sections and depping?

8. G D Bush

G D Bush Member

I'm not a uni student, but however am a member of two bands. I am signed Nationally to one band, so play for them at the areas and national competitions.... and the other band I am signed on a local association card, so am able to take part with them in any scaba/eaba contests..... should they decide to do any other competitions outside the associations then its normally possible for them to effectively 'borrow' me on those occasison.... even if my other band is already participating!

9. This was brought up in the SBBA questionnaire last year and I have a funny feeling it is going ahead but, don't quote me on that.

I can see the good points to it but, it'll be a lot more work for registration.

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hmm.. say you go to rncm or salford, you live in manchester and you play for a yorkshire band. You use your primary card with your normal band in yorkshire, but whenever faireys/leyland etc etc needs a dep at short notice for a competition for whatever reason, you become the ideal no-hassle solution and your dep price goes through the roof.

agree.. can of worms.
    Could greatly benefit some bands/players and put others in the comparitive doodoo at the other end of the stick.

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Fair enough as far as it goes, but how many students are there at Salford/RNCM plaing brass band instruments? 200 or so, in total? I've no idea, just guessing. So first of all the competiton for dep work with the "big name" local bands will be fairly intensive keeping the "dep prices" down, and secondly, that's 200-300 people it applies to, out of how many registered banders? must be at least 10,000. It would be of far more benefit to lower section bands strapped for players who lose a star player to university.

Would have been ideal for me, I played for Nottingham City Transport at Uni and Northop when I was at home, fortunately both were top section at the time so the borrowing wasn't really an issue but if my "home" band had been Holywell or Buckley, I'd have had a problem.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Uni Students Walking
    Rich
    uni band
    Uni Students Walking round
    registration card
  13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Whats so special about university students?. I know a couple of 'grown ups' who work away from home and play for local bands near where they work too.

14. horn1

horn1 Member

ha ha ha ha!

15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I was at the SBBA AGM and, offhand, I can't remember what was decided :oops: (although, in my defence, there were about 15 votes in 15 minutes... I've also checked the SBBA website, but there's nothing pertinent up yet... Mr. Martin?)

The SBBA proposal involved students staying 'away from home' - i.e. outwith 'sensible' travelling distance/time from their 'home' band (which I think was something like 40 miles in motorway-less Scotland ;)), and they would have to give details of when they were with each band - no doubling up as a 'guest'

Mind you, I don't recall anyone mentioning the possible problems re guesting with a third band - 'home' band is, say, fourth section, but 'term' band is championship, and a first section band needs a dep for a contest - is the student 4th or championship section? (or vice versa throughout...)

Personally, I reckon it could be a good way to keep players playing, but could/would be a nightmare for registrars, and potentially open to abuse.

Did someone mention a can of worms? :wink:

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Of course you dont' have to take the money because it's on offer.

As you can't play two area's, or playing the British open contest twice there would be certain immunity from people playing for varying top section bands.

I'm talking about allowing people to have a second band when travelling back to your home from Uni is improbable. plenty of bands would benifit greatly, it seems a shame in such a short space of time someone has had to throw in the possiblilty of money making and throw water on what could be a progresive thread and idea!

Some good thought's guys, thank you. Maybe we could exempt music students and stick to the other 1000's that play for pleasure and study something else!

17. StellaJohnson

It is completley unfair (extreme example I know) a player regietereed as a 4th section player as there home band and is registared championship at a uni band. Opens a can of worms...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

But Stella! I mentioned that in my post. You could stipulate that it has to follow normal borrowing rules.

19. StellaJohnson

So whats wrong with the current rules??

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Still waiting on the relevant documentation before posting it.

I wasn't at the AGM myself as I was in Pontins with the band but I have re-read the original proposal and as far as I see there is no question of a player being registered with more than one band at a time. The proposals are merely a way of making it easier for students to transfer between two nominated bands during term time and uni holidays. At present such movement is made difficult by the number of transfers rule and by the rule preventing return to a former band within six months.

21. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I know you were elsewhere, John, I just hoped you had more info...

The idea seemed good, but impractical (at least, that's how I voted...)

I'd love to see uni students given a 'term-time' option, depending on travel time (not distance, given that some areas have a plethora of high-speed routes), but as I said, massive problems for registrars - and contest organisers...

22. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

This is now in place in Scotland, but as John says I don't think the official rule changes have been passed through the executive yet. The Development Committee is meeting tomorrow night, and the full Executive Committee on Sunday, so all the communication should be out next week.

Basically though it's a case of players putting the request in writing to SBBA, and they'll be looked at on an individual basis, taking things such as geographical location, distance to bands, transport options etc. into account. Players will be registered with only one band at any one time, so should be no problems for the registrar or contest organisers, and things such as guest rules remain unaffected.

Nobody's sure how popular it will be, or how it will work in practice, but we've got to try things like this to ensure players aren't potentially lost. I'm not sure how this will work between the various registry's though (for example someone staying in Scotland and studying in England) but i'll add it to my list of things to discuss tomorrow night.