Registration Cards

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Apr 28, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

When do you think the brass band world will catch up with the times and have plastic registration cards with your picture on that you put into a reader at a contest and it gets recorded? I like my registration card but I cant help thinking how long it will be before they get changed.
  2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I know what you mean but I'm more worried about them changing mine and not giving me the original one back. I have 18 years worth on one card and it's a bit of a souvenir!!
  3. imthemaddude

Yea I know what you mean, mine is also to me. I can't imagine what people like Brian Taylors or Rchard Marshalls must be like.
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Hmm, no more signing registration forms, chip 'n' pin. :rolleyes: Could catch on. ;)
  5. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Probably a bit like mine but with things like "British Open" stamped instead of "Pontins"!!
  6. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I sounds like a good idea, cuts down on paper wasteage and stops the cards getting dog-eared after years of use.

But wouldn't this kind of idea mean changing the System? It's worked for years so why bring in anything new? (Ooh controversial...)

Saying that, I like this system - I get all excited when I end up with a new page stuck on my card - got 3 now!
  7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

You're dead right!! I'm on page 7 now and they get a bit fragile. Am I right in thinking the new cards (Post 2000ish) don't have as many year stamps along the top?? Mine has 20 and is nearly full :(
  8. robbie

robbie Member

It would make things more modern...... but wouldn't it cost too much?
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Great idea but there are obvious costs involved which would outstrip the registries ability to fund it. Evry registration team at every contest would need at least a laptop. Would that laptop be online to a central database or would it have a local copy of the central database which would have to be up to date? What about training costs for staff? It certainly is workable but would it really streamline things; probably not.

Reminds me of when Rangers Football club intrduced a Chip and Pin card to replace the traditional season ticket. First game of the season, several thousand fans were left outside at kickoff because the turnstiles lost connection to the central database. After the teething troubles however, they now have a very good system there.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- why not support the government in getting ID cards then? Link up to a central database for brass bands to verify cardholder ... save money that way!
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

True with you on this one Di.
    Swipe Card with your own personal number of some sort would be far better just swipe it when you go on the stage puch in your number before you do/something simular
  12. imthemaddude

Oh no! I've started something here!!!
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Ah don't worry Linda, we can but fantasise. ;)
  14. barrowgirl

barrowgirl Member

i think it's a good idea, but will cost too much too introduce.
    Would it make it easier to keep a track of cards when you lend players to other bands?
  15. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Lets just keep the old favourite! I for 1 wouldn't want to see the registration card die!! Hey "IMTHEMADDUDE" bet you didn't think you'd get this kind of response!!?
  16. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

This is just the sort of project the National Lottery should support with funding as long is it were presented as a formal, justified and well managed business case.

There is a huge opportunity for the banding world to embrace the wonders of modern technology (as I articulate fully in my tMP article here) and embark on such exciting technology projects. Yes of course this would not be easy and would be a complex plan, and would for certain, need to be taken seriously by all of the organisations who are party to the running of our banding movement. It would take significant organisational, project, and business management skills to boot.

This would most certainly be a massive step in the right direction. What a superb idea!
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- as long as it complies with the Data Protection Act [1998]
  18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not too sure the act applies. A persons name is not private data but public property. It is only when that name is allied to other data such as an address or phone number that it becomes private and subject to protection. The Scottish Registry at least does not keep track of players addresses and to be honest the only data of importance is the name and registration number which by definition is already the property of the registry.
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

But there has to be at least some more information available there in order to obtain a unique identifier. There could be many people with the same name, and so how would any system then know this was a different person. If there were no way of ascertaining a persons identity then there would be the possibility of abuse... i.e. one person having multiple registrations.

To identify a person and to be able to assign a registry number is paramount to the success of such a system. How else would one do that withouth something that uniquely identifies that person at registration time. It's my view that the DP Act would most certainly need to be adhered to here.
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Doesn't it apply to the Data already at the Registry?

I would've expected it to?