Registration Cards and Photos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, May 16, 2005.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Being a naturally nosey bugger I took a look at our Soprano Cornet players (daveredhead) registration card when we were signing in at Weston yesterday.

Dated: 1969
    Band: Brackley & District (No transfers)
    Photo: Black & White and franked with the card.

Dave reckons that the photo is newer than the card, but even with the best guess on the date of the photo it would seem to be 30+ years old. He has'nt changed a bit - he did'nt look a day over 65 then and he does'nt now !

Has anyone else got an older card/photo ?

ps come on dave get the photo scanned and post it on tMp

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

My Card was washed in my washing machine last week!

So i cant tell if mine is old or not!

But to be truthful knowing my age, Its not an old card

You would think that any black and white photos would have 'been tango'd' by now!

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am about 14/15 on my current card and it still hasn't got stickered! :confused: Nice to know I look so youthful! :cool:

I have seen some great cards. There are a few good ones in Flixton. Ju33les' one is great :cool:

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

My card photo is new and I'm on my 2nd card cos my old one fell to bits.

I'm 19 on my photo. I went from the age of 12-18 with same photo, got tangoed at Pontins, changed my photo for a new one. Went to the area the next March (only 5 months later) and got Tangoed again!! Went a bit mental at the woman. told her to stop being so stupid and asked if she wanted alternative ID, cos if she did she couldn't because the pic on my driving licence was older than the one my reg card. I was absolutely flabbergasted. She must have been blind.

5. Owen S

Owen S Member

A word of advice: When your band contest secretary starts to give out the cards just before you head into registration, offer to help. Not only does looking at other people's photos help relieve any tension you might have developed before going on stage, you also make sure no-one gets to laugh at your photo, in my case hungover and in need of a haircut while I was still a student.

6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

A certain bass player known to me (and the rest of the Ransome band) was pulled up at the Grand Shield recently as he looks about 12 years old on his photo.

The nice lady on the admin desked then took him to task because there were sticky marks on the photo which had been made by 'Tango'd' sticker.

His excuse - "It must have been valve oil" - got short shrift from the nice lady and provided some light relief before we took the stage (Maybe too much?)

Bring back the birch, I say.

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm 7 in my photo. I'm 18 now. Very embarrassing!! :D

8. ju33les

ju33les Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually Rach....it has changed so I no longer look like a eighties throwback with big frizzy hair........well, the hair's changed anyway!!
    :p

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Photo registration cards didn't actually come in until 1986. Our band still has 2 original photo cards from this date. Previous to this juniors did actually have different coloured cards to senior players

10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

One of the bands I'm with has an unofficial site. All of our registration card photos were scanned and when you open the homepage, one of the scanned pictures is randomly displayed. Quite embarassing as I was 14 on mine, which has since been updated.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dave
    Soprano Cornet
    Weston
    1969Band: Brackley & District
    Black & White
  12. persins

persins Member

I have been tango'd a couple of times!! I was really annoyed actually because I lost all of the history of stamps etc on my first card! Some of them were actually quite good contests (not many though). It would have been good if the registry could have returned the old card along with the new one. I will probably have to get the photo changed again soon since the last one was taken before I was even a student, let alone graduated and joined the real world!!

I feel old!!!!!!!!

13. Hollie

Hollie Member

I hate my photo, it is sooo awful and embaressing, only 3 years ago but heck, have i changed!!!

14. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Will get even with you steve!!!,I will buy Man United From Mr Glazier and sell it to Man City for £1.00. Every body thought I was only 28yrs till you let slip:mad:
    Actually I used to have a Daily Herald Registration Card , Na Na Na Naaaaa So while we are on subject, Can any tmprs beat That :clap:

15. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Help! What's this Tango thing that everyone keeps mentioning? Am I going to lose my nice photo? And my card has got extra bits of paper on it as I've done so many contests (in my whole 3 years of banding)! Sorry but I get excited about little things like that (not the photo, mind).

I was a bit taken aback in Blackpool last year when the nice lady had to look twice between me and my photo even though it was only taken the year or 2 before!:confused:

16. angie

angie Member

Being all of about 9 years of age on my original registration card (all clad in my adorable primary school sweatshirt...) and after years of ridicule and hynena-esque laughing from anyone who was skillful enough to catch a glimpse of my photo...they finally stamped across my pic when I was registering for the area contest saying
    'PLEASE UPDATE PHOTO'
    or something of the kind...after I finally convinced them it was in fact a grown up (hopefully more improved) me
    But now I have a pretty green Welsh card with a slightly less gawky photo

17. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

tango'd is an orange sticker that gets put over your photo meaning it needs replacing.

18. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Aha! Now it all becomes clear!

So by the looks of some of our band's photos it won't happen for about another 20 years...there are some serious dodgy looks going on as fashions have changed over the years (or that's their excuse anyway...)

19. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

You must mean the one that had to be changed - Madame Ju33les, 1st Horn and dominatrix :biggrin:

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The "lets-laugh-at-everyone-elses-awful-photo" game is a sure fire way of relieving pre-contest nerves. And there are some absolute corkers in Wigstons cards :D

Until recently my own photo was of me when I was 14. It lasted until I was 30, which probably says something about how my youthful good looks went west on my 30th Birthday :redface: . BTW it happens to everyone, so you young whippersnappers can stop laughing ....;)

My "new" photo isn't too bad at all - in fact its a lot better than the terrible image of me that sometimes pops up on the home page to scare you all :p

21. andyp

andyp Active Member

I don't know how they work out who needs a new photo and who doesn't. Mine dates from when they started in 1986 (I was 16 and had a full head of hair then!!). It's been through all 3 top contests, including the Masters twice, and at least 3 contests a year every year since, and no-one's noticed.
    Must just still look young, I guess!! (sound of wife's laughter in the background)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dave
    Soprano Cornet
    Weston
    1969Band: Brackley & District
    Black & White