Registration - Cancellation and Transfer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Feb 24, 2005.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm receiving confused messages here can anyone just clarify please,

The key factor is we are less than 4 weeks to contest day.

Can a player with another band cancel his registration with that band and the re- register as a new registration with a new band?

Many thanks

Ian

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cancellation
    Everyone
    anyone
    factor
    re- register
  3. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I suppose that, strictly speaking, it's "Not cricket" to do this but it can (and has) been done, although I've been told that the Registry are supposed to be tightening up on this as it is happening more and more.

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Yes it can be done and I have actually done it myself in the past. It is a loophole that the registry was looking into closing but they have decided that it cannot be done this year at least, but a player cannot cancel his registration himself. The secretary of the band he is currently with has to do that so if the player was down to play with his old band at the contest you may find their secretary unwilling to cancel until after the contest (which they are within their rights to do)

5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

The rules state that you can sign a new player as long as the new registration card (the pink one!) gets to the Registry THREE days before the contest.

However, a player can only do this twice in 6 months. I don't like doing this though, because it doesn't seem right somehow...

I think that the Registry will probably either get rid of the 4 week rule altogether, or will start treating new registrations the same way as transfers (if the player leaves one band and joins another that is...not real new registrations).

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

To be honest I tend to do it this way even if we've got bags of time, because its a lot easier than faffing about getting 3 signatures on a transfer form. Given that you still need the releasing band's consent for a cancellation its effectively the same process, just without the time constraints.

The 4 week rule always seemed a bit dumb to me anyway - if someone doesn't want to play with their old band, hanging on to their registration/refusing a transfer isn't going to make any difference (except maybe p them off a bit more!) it just screws up 2 bands instead of 1. I've got the impression from registry last year that the 4 weeks rule is on the way out, but I may have got the wrong end of the stick...

If we want to encourage bands to help each other out, the registration process should be there to make it easier, not get in the way. I've said this on another thread (and I'm sure I'll say it again! :rolleyes: ) - I don't think bands should 'own' the players' registrations anyway - wouldn't it make more sense for people to have their own cards (a la ID cards/passports) and the registration system simply exist to record who's playing with which band at any given contest?

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think the idea of the 4 week rule was to stop good players hopping between bands for different contests to make a few quid, although I could be wrong, and as such is probably a good thing.

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

The idea of the 4 week rule was to stop 'good' bands poaching players from 'less able' bands(who don't have as much power to attract last minute signings) at the last minute leaving bands in the lurch and possibly stopping them competeing. The trouble was they forgot about being able to cancel registrations and registering as a new player, thus leaving a loop hole. What the registry intend to do in the future is make a rule that if a players registration is cancelled he/she cannot register as a new player for 4 weeks. This will effectively close that loophole. The rule about only being able to transfer twice was brought in to stop people hopping between bands possibly for money gains. It is interesting to note there is already a rule to say if a players registration is cancelled and he registers with another band it is classed as a transfer and he can only make one more transfer within the 6 month period and cannot go back to their old band for 6 months. The only thing that is different from a transfer is the date in which the registration becomes effective. 4 weeks for a transfer, immediately for a cancellation/ new registration.

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

But neither of those can happen without the original band's say-so anyway! I agree the rules can prevent poaching and cash-following up to a point, but they also prevent bands getting a helping hand when they genuinley need it. I think reinstating the 4 week limit would be a backward step.

fwiw I've been on both sides of the fence in this situation - currently in a band with too many players, who were unable to "lend" for the finals because there wouldn't have been enough to time to re-register people for this area; and also in more than one band who've either been unable to compete because of numbers or dependent on help from other bands. The longer I do this, the more I'm convinced the whole registration system needs overhauling (or scrapping!)

10. euphybeast

euphybeast Member