Registration at the regional contest.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jamesdriscoll, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Which registration cards should be allowed at the Areas?

1. Just BBBR (BBE)

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. Just BBP (Kapitol)

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Both BBBR and BBP

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. None - there should no need to register

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_D

John_D Member

is this another alternative to BBP/BBBR :) lol

2. Yozzer

Yozzer New Member

don't think this applies to too many conductors at all actually................

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

I don't know why you are all worrying about this ~ It's supposed to be the end of the world tomorrow. I suppose some folk consider the registration issue to be far more important than our imminent mass demise !

~ Mr Wilx

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

if its the end of the world so be it ! just please let sonorous cop for it 1st !!!

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I have it on good authority that the LHC will be firing an eminent Tenor Horn player and a social/political commentator head on into each other at 99% the speed of light, in order to try and discover a new particle and call it the Higgy jigson(orous)

6. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

I hope this was a comedy post! Otherwise its worrying!

7. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

I've been eating brussel sprouts for a week, once the cork out I'm riding my tuba all the way to Mars!

8. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Following many requests from member and non-member bands, the Gloucestershire Brass Band Association will be hosting a meeting to discuss the British Brass Band Registry/Brass Band Players Registry issues. The meeting will be held on the morning Saturday 5th January at Bristol Golf Club starting at 10.30am. Both Philip Morris (Kapitol) and Robert Morgan (Brass Bands England) have accepted invitations to debate the issue for the benefit of bands in the South of the country.
    The Gloucestershire Brass Band Association have decided to host the event after having their request for the Council of West of England Council Brass Band Association to host a similar meeting turned down. With this in mind the meeting will not be restricted to just GBBA member bands but will be an open to any band/band representatives wishing to attend irrespective of which region their band competes in. The meeting is being held in Bristol to enable representatives from bands competing in the West of England, as well as both the Midlands and London and Southern Counties areas, access to the debate should they wish to attend.

The meeting is intended to provide an platform for bandsmen and women to debate the registry issues and to ask any questions that they feel need answering, so come along and put your questions to Philip Morris and Robert Morgan in person.
    The hope is that bands who have not currently entered their respective regional contests will have all their questions answered so that they are able to make an informed decision about whether or not to compete at the forthcoming regional contests. The meeting is therefore being held before the closing date for entries for all three Southern regional contests.

The GBBA look forward to meeting fellow bandsmen on the day but in the meantime wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

The Bristol Golf Club
    St. Swithins Park, Blackhorse Hill
    Almondsbury Bristol BS10 7TP

9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

It's no joke. If by their own selfish actions 'bandsmen' create an uncertain financial climate for our finest musicians how can we expect them to stay? I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Childs bros., David King, Gary Cutt and Philip Harper decide to do orchestras and turn their backs on banding after this debacle. It might only be a hobby for most of us, but for some at the top these contests pay for the bills and the Friday night big shop. It's only by making sure these contests go ahead that we can guarantee retaining the services of our finest - it might also be worth making sure the various regions don't have their contests on the same weekend so these conductors can benefit all regions equally.

10. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I'm really not sure that's the case - all of these guys conduct brass bands for the love of it and I'm sure would not leave the movement regardless of what money was available.

Also, there is such an over-saturation of orchestral conductors and small amount of professional work I'm not sure that making the switch would be a viable option! Most amateur orchestras don't pay as high a fee as bands tend to in the main, so I really can't see that being a likely scenario.

I don't know any brass band conductor who relies on conducting as a sole source of income - most also do teaching, performing, etc.

11. Ianroberts

you will have me in tears in a minute. Its players that do it for the love of it (well, at the lower levels anyway), I wonder how many conductors do ? how many would wag a stick for free ? not many

12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If the alternative were not wagging a stick at all, I daresay plenty would. The world is not full of quality amateur orchestras crying out for conductors whose main skill lies in the brass band way of doing things.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. grausue

grausue Member

Just had a look at 4barsrest comment box and I have to respectfully disagree with David Hirst's assertion that the BBE receive "enough" funding of a yearly average of about £60,000 from the Arts Council. This is surely a paltry amount with which to support the many bands in the country, to encourage their endeavours in engaging and informing the public as well as to educate children in practical music making. I know how much money it takes to run an ordinary band and I really don't think the Arts Council are overly generous to brass bands which offer an on going community service, they offer stable discipline for children, the run clubs and societies and offer a point of entry into understanding art and culture on an equal basis regardless of geography or social standing. Here's a snippet from the London Evening Standard on why London needs 5 orchestras supported by the Arts Council:

"Those of us privileged to experience the year-round work of other symphony orchestras can vouch that they provide excellent value for money. (Their grants for 2010/11 are £1 million for the RPO; £2.2 million each for the Philharmonia and LPO; and £2.4 million for the LSO). Each has an identity, a sound, an ethos of its own. With charismatic conductors of the calibre of Valery Gergiev, Vladimir Jurowski and Esa-Pekka Salonen at the helm, these orchestras have all responded to economic crisis by upping their game and offering something out of the ordinary."

Now I'm not suggesting that the orchestras shouldn't need and receive vast quantities of funding, just that brass bands in their entirety across the British Isles do more for the country's cultural education at grass roots levels than any one of these London orchestras AND constitute partly to the British National identity. So no, I don't think that the Arts Council do enough for them.

Sue Grau

P.S. Sorry about the fonts - after pasting the clip, I discovered I was no longer in charge of the settings!!

14. John_D

John_D Member

Well said Sue

15. Ianroberts

going off topic here I know, now I love my banding (just gone back after 20years), infact I love all sorts of music, but in the state we are in at the moment, I beleive the taxes etc we all pay are better served on hospitals rather than brass bands and orchestras.

Anyway, those orchestra's are full of rich kids with silver spoons sticking out of their gobs are'nt they

16. grausue

grausue Member

There will be plenty of brass bands doing the rounds and spreading cheer this Christmas in the hospitals and care homes up and down the country.

17. Ianroberts

not exactly the point mate ! but, I bet most of those bands you are reffering to are "self funded"

18. grausue

grausue Member

You're right and a lot of hospitals are heavily indebted to charities too. My original point is that I don't believe that the BBE can be castigated for not doing enough on the grant that they receive, when it is spread so thinly over what is something to which everyone has access.

19. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I would agree, until I remebered the announce,emt of millions of £'s from the lottery to various sporting bodies.

I like my sport, I also like my banding.

If one is worhty of financial support so is the other.

20. Ianroberts

I would say untill the country is sorted support neither !

did you hear the other day about the anount of tickets available to "joe bloogs" for the Olympics ? hangers on and dignitaries had the lions share. Makes you wonder a bit about who gets what with all the area comittees ?

as I said, going off topic !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.