Registration at the regional contest.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jamesdriscoll, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Which registration cards should be allowed at the Areas?

1. Just BBBR (BBE)

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. Just BBP (Kapitol)

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Both BBBR and BBP

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. None - there should no need to register

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesdriscoll

jamesdriscoll New Member

Which registration cards would you like your regional committees to accept at the Areas in 2013?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    regional committees
    regional contest
    registration cards
    Areas
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

I want to cry!

Someone tell him please.

Bewildered Bob

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Im sure sonorous will be dropping in to put him right ! I also wonder if his friends call him "Jimmy Riddle" for short ?

5. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

how many colours have we got to choose from so far ??

6. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

The rules for the Areas state BBP.

7. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

A dark room and a cup of Ovaltine.

8. jamesdriscoll

jamesdriscoll New Member

As I understand it the regional committees could accept both cards at the the areas that they run (Perhaps someone in the know will correct me if I'm wrong). Which of those bands get invited to the National Final might be up for debate (you currently have to be registered with BBP, but I wonder if it would stay that way if enough bands competed at the areas with a BBBR registration). Either way it gives us more time to sort out this sorry mess and regional bands can get a grading without having to find new bands members in the next couple of months.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe they can despite what was apparently said at Barnsley by Kapitol - their own rules state:

"National Rules: The Rules under which all contests in the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain (comprising the eight Regional
    Championships and the National Finals) operate"

Therefore, if the National rules state the registry that applies as only being an Accredited Registry, the current rules would not allow a Regional Committee to accept anything other than a BPP card in England.

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The Areas/Regional Championships are part of the National Championships of GB. The rules for the Nationals, updated in November, state:
    Accredited Registries = Brass Band Players Ltd. for bands based in England, The Scottish Registry for bands based in Scotland and the Welsh Registry for band based in Wales.
    National Rules = The Rules under which all contests in the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain (comprising the eight Regional Championships and the National Finals) operate.
    9. a) All players taking part in the Contest must be registered with only ONE accredited Registry.

The full rules are online Here. Like it or not, as things stand at the moment, those rules mean that English bands wishing to take part in the Nationals (regionals and finals) must be registered with BBP.
    Entry forms for the British Open Spring Festival also state players must be registered with the "accredited registry" and other contests are starting to get on board with BBP too now, so for a lot of bands its a much bigger question than just entering the areas or not now.

11. jamesdriscoll

jamesdriscoll New Member

Perhaps - I've misunderstood some of the communications I've had but I think YRBBC are worried about how they would police two separate registration cards (someone could be registered with 2 bands) but I'm pretty sure most people would be happy to sign their name next to some words on the lines of "I'm only competing with one band in this competition". If Philip Morris did say at the Barnsley meeting it's up to the regions to decide which cards they accept at the areas then surely we have an opportunity to at least have a regional grading even if some bands wont end up at the National Finals? (which most bands don't end up at anyway). Perhaps YRBBC can confirm here that they could make the decision to accept both cards but at this point they've chosen just to accept BBP?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    regional committees
    regional contest
    registration cards
    Areas
  13. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

If YRBBC make a decision to accept both sets of cards, then they will not be operating the contest under the current rules of the National Brass Band Championship. Now what Kapitol would do about that is something we don't yet know although as they do read tMp, perhaps they would like to put out a definitive statement on this point to avoid any misunderstanding on the day.
    (there have been a lot of statements in various threads and other forums on this so why not take this advice Kapitol and pop out a confirmation).

14. flugel_mel

flugel_mel New Member

I will not be manipulated

I will not be forced and manipulated into signing my card and freedom over from the current brass band registry, regardless of the consequences this has for entering the area contest next year. This is also the view of many other players in stalybridge old band

15. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Please be assured that the Yorkshire Brass Band Championships 2013 will be run under the current National Rules dated 1st November 2012 and the only accredited registry for any bands wishing to compete at Yorkshire is the Brass Band Players registry.

PT

16. jamesdriscoll

jamesdriscoll New Member

Thanks for the prompt response Peggy but I think you've only answered one half of the question. We know YRBBC are only accepting BBP cards but could you change your minds and accept both cards if enough bands in the region wanted this ? (and apparently Philip Morris said it was up to the regions to decide at the Barnsley meeting)

17. Archer

Archer Member

I'm sorry Yorkshire but Peggy's mouth was dripping with Kapitol propoganda when she visited the north east to back up the tiny kapitol camp at our meeting. Don't expect to be allowed to use both cards even if she has the power to do so. Furthermore - Kapitol changed the rules themselves to suite themselves so quoting doctored sections of the rules about "accredited registries" is frankly moot - this is all just word smithing to make us roll over...

18. jamesdriscoll

jamesdriscoll New Member

Just my two pence worth, but it'd be great if we could all remain civil to each other when we have differences of opinion, much greater chance of progress being made. I know passions and emotions are high but aren't we all wanting to see the number of people wishing to play in a brass band go up?

19. Archer

Archer Member

Believe me - that was civil compared to some of the directed at us for standing against kapitol in that meeting. Even Philp and Nicki from Kaptiol gave us more respect than PT. That's by-the-by though. It seems that the regional secretaries have been bought (the NoE know this to be fact) and are not represending our best interest. Ergo, asking them about what cards can be used is pointless as you'll only get one answer. Best thing to do is stand united and refuse to sign with kapitol of vote with our feet and make it impossible for them to run the contest as they have no bands. I know that missing the region for one year seems bad however in the long run, its the best thing for the movement. I will put in black and white right now for people to quote in future - if Kapitol are allowed to do this then it's the start of the end. Prices will go up, little bands will fold and we'll have sold the movement out.

20. Archer

Archer Member

Sorry - I'm on my phone so can't freely edit. To clear up a point regarding secretaries being in Kapitol's pocket - NoE know this to be fact aboit the NoE secretary Alan Hope only. Other areas would have to shout up if that know it to be true of theirs as well. That said - there is a lot of evidence to point that way.

21. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Well said James. A bit of common courtesy called for here. In my book rudeness only advertises the social inadequacy of the perpetrator.

~ Mr Wilx

22. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

so they have, or, they havent been bought ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.