Registration advice required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simes, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Hi All,

I play in my local band - a fourth section band who do a couple of contests a year - and have just joined another band - second section who are a bit more serious about contesting.

I'd like to remain playing (and occasionally contesting) with the more local band, as I like the band and the people in it very much indeed. However I am also keen to improve my playing as much as possible and the second section band certainly help0s with that as they tend to play more complex pieces etc etc...

In terms of registering - what's the best way to do it? I'd assumed I'd stay registered with the fourth section local band, and then play 'up' with the other band at contests - but I've heard that this isn't possible in the area contests...

What's my best solution?

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yep thats all correct - stay registered in 4th can be borrowed at most contests without complaint. However to play at area contests cannot be "borrowed" and must only compete with one band at one area.
  3. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Cheers for the speedy reply. It's a bit of a downer though... As I'd like to play the areas with the second section band - but can't register with them and play with the fourth section in other contests (I believe).
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Correct - the bass players' dilemma - apparantly you have a lot in common with the excreta of a rocking horse :)
  5. cmayle

cmayle New Member

You're right, you can only be "borrowed" by a band from a higher section in certain contests and, as previously stated, you need to be registered with a band to play at the areas as no borrowing is allowed. The only was it could be done would be to transfer to the second section band in time for the areas and transfer back again afterwards but I think there's probably a rule that stops this in that you can only transfer back after a certain period of time.
  6. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Heh... Probably more in common with excretia (Rocking Horse or otherwise) than we (bass players) like to admit.

I just love playing, and wuld happily go to rehearsals every night of the week (if commitments indoors allowed!) - seems a shame to have to choose which band to support at the areas.
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Think there has to be a 6 months gap before you can transfer back to a previous band and a theoretical limit of 2 transfers in a 12 month period (or is that a calendar year?)
  8. nethers

nethers Active Member

I've always thought it would be better to allow a player to have membership/registration of more than one band, assuming they regularly attend rehearsals all year round. I've often been a member of more than one band at a time (going to all rehearsals) and find it frustrating having to work through this problem.

But a system like I suggest would be open to abuse and hard to monitor, and we all know there are bands out there who would walk all over it in the name of contest victory...

9. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I guess you've identifed the solution and the problem with that solution in one post!

It does make like harder than it should be though. I love playing in the local band, but I also really enjoy the challenges of playing with a much more proficient band - especially at contests - but looks like I'll have to make a choice before too long as to which one I contest with. It's a ****** shame though as I enjoy playing at both.

You'd think with bands closing down all the time over the last few years, the bands that are left would be awash with players - but, certainly with the lower end of the band, that's not the case and everyone seems to struggle for members at some point or another. What happens to all the displaced people from bands that have disbanded?
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Grow a beard, then register for both bands under different names with a bearded and non-bearded photo.

It's been done before.....:eek:
  11. GordonH

GordonH Member

Although some bands have closed locally to me, I can think of two new bands that have been founded in the past ten years. There is a bit of stabilisation going on with some of the former colliery bands merging or closing and new bands being formed to provide an outlet for school leavers.

I don't really understand the registration system, but I know that in Scotland its all just one area so you need to register with the band you want to play with at a contest and then transfer back afterwards. I have never been keen on guesting though. Ultimately you would end up with a freelance band which was not representative of what you would hear in a concert. I think bringing in someone to fill a gap is OK, but replacing players with better quality deps is not good for morale or team building.
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've always said the registration process is a waste of time. Identities are never checked (with, say, a passport or driving licence) when players are registered, it's all done on trust. For most contests I don't think you even have to sign the form any more.
  13. Bass Trumpet

As I said, it's been done before - I know the people and band involved!

Another cunning wheeze employed by a number of bands is the illness/emergency ploy. They turn up to a contest saying the player X has had to be rushed into hospital or any other such lie and then they borrow from another band. In truth, the card presented as the unfortunate player may be of somebody not even playing for the band any more!

There are plenty of ways to cheat the registration system. I do not condone any of them, but I know it is rife in some areas.

The only answer? Biometric registration and DNA samples taken at the contest :biggrin:

And it s still being done...2 registration cards in 2 banding regions.:biggrin:
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Is it? Interesting! Mind you I draw the line at growing a beard..... maybe a wig and different glasses though? :metal:
  16. Bass Trumpet

I thought it was a wig:tongue:
  17. floppymute

floppymute Member

As long as they don't pass us through metal detectors as might take a while:rolleyes:
  18. nethers

nethers Active Member

Blood tests are being introduced to prevent illegal use of beta-blockers anyway, so it should be easy to add DNA testing as well.
  19. Bass Trumpet

Or those new scanners that allow airport staff to see through our clothes! Not a pretty sight, especially if the band has a few well-nourished bass players!
  20. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

No Duncan its just versatile....... curly or straight..... any colour I like...... oh hang on that sounds quite wiggy. :eek: