registered with a 4th section band...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vonny, Nov 4, 2005.

1. vonny

vonny Member

If i am registered with a 4th section band what is my position on playing with other bands in contests etc... advice pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
    Would i for example be able to help out a 1st section band?

Yvonne x

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Depends on the contest. If it is a national contest, you can only play with the band with whom you are registered. Some local contests will allow a certain number of guests on a day transfer etc, but any rules pertaining to that usually control guests coming down the sections - e.g. they would not allow somebody registered with a 1st section band to play in the 4th as that gives an unfair advantage.

Check the rules of the contest - it is the only way, as they are all different.

DaveR

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  3. rutty

rutty Active Member

What DaveR said.

Most contests will allow a Fourth section band member to help out any other section. Area/Nationals etc mean no quests, but the likes of Pontins allowed up to four from the same section or below.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I am also registered 4th section - which is quite an advantage because I have had the privilige of playing with many higher section bands in a contest. In fact when I was on pricipal cornet I went through a stage of playing for two or more at the same contest. The first time we won whitehaven, I played principal of the band that came 3rd too - its has protential to cause a riot though if your band comes below!

Enjoy being borrowed it gives you lots of experience.

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

4th section registry is the best, you can help out anyone and everyone contest rules permitting.

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I believe at Butlins you can only help bands in the same section.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Any one able to confirm this as I wanna do the gig but this could cause serial dep here some problems?!?!?!

8. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

This is not true. I spoke with the contest organiser the other day about this. Any band can borrow from same section or below. The is a max of 4 players allowed to be borrowed.

9. Di

Di Active Member

10. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

hmmmm....it doesn't affect my band this time because we are in the 4th section but the conversation I had with the organiser the other day basically confirmed that any band could borrow from thier own section or below. His home number is freely availalbe if you type Bultins Brass band contest into yahoo or similar so give him a call to check.

Simon

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    section
    1st section band
    advice
    section band
  12. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

In Scotland it's usually 2 from above and 2 from the same or below but only local contests although the Scottish Open allowed guests which I found strange.

13. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

The rumour has it that Butlins next year will allow one borrow from seciton above....(although this may only relate to 4th section not sure).

Simon

14. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I'm glad about Butlins,as I am now allowed to play as a guest for a higher section band.Look forward to playing at Butlins for the 1st time.
    CubbRep..Richard.

15. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I think you had better doubly check this! We were only allowed to borrow from our own section laast year, and I'm sure others have checked already for this years contest and been given the same info.