Regionals 2011 test pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Active Member

The earlier than usual announcement of the test pieces for the Regionals 2011 has caught us out slightly in that our Regionals 2011 CD is not yet in stock!

However, for those interested in hearing recordings of the Championship, 1st and 2nd section test pieces without delay, there are a few options for you.
    We are aware that there are other recordings, this is just a selection of what is currently available to buy.

Paganini Variations; There are plenty of recordings on CD to compare and contrast, including some live performances.

JJB Sports Leyland on European Championships 2000
    Scottish Co-op on Live Brass from Scotland
    Rothwell Temperance Band on Master Brass Volume 17
    Tomra Brass Band on Norwegian Nationals 2003
    Oslo Brass Band on Norwegian Nationals 2006
    Dalewool Auckland on Australia Nationals 2001
    Hall Village on Australia Nationals 2002
    Brisbane Exelsior on Australia Nationals 2005

Todmorden Old on Hot Toddy
    Black Dyke on A Breathless Alleluia
    Foden's on Rococo Variations

Available to download;
    Gothenburg on Ambassadors of Brass
    Grimethorpe on Wilby and Paganini Variations
    Foden's on Rococo Variations

Le Carnival Romain
    Cory on Brass Band Classics Volume 1
    Foden's on Patron's Choice II
    Grimethorpe on Classic Brass

Black Dyke and ISB on DVD A Celebration in Brass
    Foden's on Bridgewater LIVE 2002

Cory on Brass Band Classics Volume 1
    Grimethorpe on Eric Ball, The Undaunted
    Grimethorpe on The Golden Era
    Yorkshire Building Society on Essays for Brass Volume Three
    ISB on Partita
    Enfield Citadel on Kaleidoscope
    Kettering Citadel on Endless Praise

Available to download;
    Kettering Citadel on Endless Praise
  2. grjeuph

grjeuph New Member

Thanks for the info, when will the CD become available?
  3. Active Member

It was planned to be ready for the Nationals Lower Section Finals and the process is such that this can't be changed. Still, that's only 11 days away.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Any downloads of Roman Carnival available?
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

the Grimethorpe is on Spotify. I think you can download from there?
  6. There's a really good run through Le Carnival Romain on Patrons Choice Vol II by Fodens. However, Resurgam is hard to find! Dam it.
  7. Kjata

Kjata Member

Has anyone heard of the 3rd and 4th section pieces? What are they like? I know the other 3 pieces fairly well, but have never heard of the lower section pieces?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The Grimethorpe recording is on iTunes. It was only 79p a couple of months ago when I got it too....
  9. Frontman

Frontman Member

I believe that the 3rd section piece has been specially written for the Areas. The 4th section is a typical John Golland piece with some very nice stuff mixed in with the Cheddar.

It was a 4th Section Pontins piece a number of years ago that was won by Oldham Lees.
  10. simonium

simonium Member

Resurgam can be found on the Polyphonic CD Rhapsody In Brass, with James Watson conducting Black Dyke. There is also a cracking version of Carnival Romain on Spectacular Classics Volume One, again Watson and Dyke on the Obrasso label. :)
  11. still learnin

still learnin Member

A quick check of Google or youtube shows that A Little Light Music isn't brand spanking new. ;)
  12. Kind of wish a Little Light Music had been chosen for the fourth section, quite a clever little piece and not overly technically difficult from what I remember.

Just looked the fourth section piece up, Justmusic reckon it's been "extensively revised" for the Areas. Does anyone know what this means, as it seems a little harsh to expect fourth section bands to fork out twice for the same piece of music?
  13. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

"La Carnaval Romain" is also available on iTunes as part of Brighouse's album "An Evening With...", but not individually. The same recording is also on Spotify.

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

When it came to Salute to Youth I seem to recall that "Extensively revised" meant "Enlarged from letterhead to A4 with all the original mistakes left in"....
  15. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

So does this mean that every band that has this in their library, as they played it at Pontins, is going to have to buy another set? Also what happens if you don't buy it from Just Music and you get the old version as they are both called Prelude, Song and Dance by John Golland. I'm sorry but I do feel this is a real rip-off of fourth section bands. Most fourth section bands don't have the benefit of huge sponsorship and have to raise money by whatever means they can only to be told you need to spend your hard earned dosh on something you already have! :mad:
  16. blue juice

blue juice Member

Yeah it's still there, you have to type in 'Roman Carnival' rather than 'Le Carnaval Romain' though
  17. Frontman

Frontman Member

I agree, sorry I thought I read it somewhere, obviously not.
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, however I seem to recall reading somewhere that the version on that CD was the original 'concert' version, therefore doesn't include some of the cadenzas that the composer added for the 'contest' version ... ???
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What's the oldest recording of the Roman Carnival? GUS from 1967?
  20. steve sizeland

steve sizeland New Member

3rd section test piece was written in 2002 for Welsh Arts Council. Anyone who thinks it's going to be easy....look at the 4th movement!!
    There are facebook recordings of bands at the 2008 French Open where it was used as the Premiere Division set work.