Regionals 2010 : Third Section Test Piece - Labour and Love

Discussion in '2010 National Championships of Great Britain' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Member

I hope that this is just a wind-up?
    If not - WHY?

I would travel the distance just to watch the chaos you would cause, as well as seeing you look like a complete Di-k!

Enthusiasm I love, excitement is commendable, but standing at the Area contest?:rolleyes:

Enjoy the day mate, though I hope that you are just living up to your Mouthpiece pseudonym!

2. Al

Al Member

I understand that a band in the 3rd Section at North West the cornet/trombones stood for the 'fanfare' last year.

Also at the Nationals there was a band had the trombones stand for their 'bit'.

I can't see the point but if some think they play better that way, why not?

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Chaos? From standing up? As long as his knees are up to it, I don't really see what chaos could ensue.

4. Blagger

Blagger Member

Christ - it was only a passing thought - :confused:
    Whoever you are Mark - I hope you have a lovely day on stage .....
    Always great to hear from a fellow Euph player ;)

5. Blagger

Blagger Member

I always seem to breathe deeper when stood up - thats the only reason I gave it some thought - not anything to do with wanting to look like a d+"k .
    Will probably manage that sat down !

6. marksmith

marksmith Member

The chances of standing becoming a 'problem', far out-weigh the 'benefits' of standing up, surely?
    You will be noticing plenty of bravado around the stands at this stage of preparation for the Area contests, but as we ALL know, playing on the day is something else.
    The movement could lift other players' parts, it could lead to distraction on stage and all-in-all, could be seen as a big risk.

I tried to emphasise the humour within my earlier response but sadly, it would appear that a 'di-k' in Brummy, is far more of an emotive word elsewhere?

I wish you well, All Euphonium players, (including you, Blagger!).

7. Blagger

Blagger Member

No offence taken mate

Good luck - and I do mean that :)

8. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed playing 'Labour and Love', the euphonium part was quite meaty. Loved it. The only people I felt sorry for were the percussionists, not a terribly exciting part. Then again it was written before percussion was used in brass banding, right? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Great choice for 3rd section... however, not everyone agrees with that.

9. marksmith

marksmith Member

I have to agree that the Euphonium part is a lovely part to play.

Having not done an area since 2008, I was fortunate enough to be asked to deputise for the Solo Euph at 'Hucknall and Linby' band, for the Midlands area, (their Euph was called-up into the Army, last week!)
    Also, they lost their Principal Cornet player due to un-forseen work commitments, thus had to re-arrange the whole Cornet bench, with one week to go!
    The band played very well on the day and managed a creditable 6th place, which they richly deserved in the circumstances! (Well done Paul Whyley).:clap:
    I would like to thank them for inviting me - and for reminding local bands that I am still around, capable - and available!

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, standing up worked out quite nicely for me. Although there's every chance I looked an idiot hugging that big shield...

11. marksmith

marksmith Member

:clap:!

12. Blagger

Blagger Member

Should have stood up ............ at the bar - and stayed there :rolleyes:
    Oh well - nice piece tho