Regionals 2010 : Third Section Test Piece - Labour and Love

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Cider Francis ;Me Solo Baritone
  2. cmccabe

cmccabe New Member

Euph is a monumental four staves long!
  3. Sarah Francis

Sarah Francis New Member

specifically exposed solo trom? argh!
  4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

A massively exposed trombone 'declaratif' (sp?)

Brown undies time? ;)
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It's fantastic. All the times I've though "this would sound much better if everyone else just shut up and let me bang it out on my own" and finally I've found a piece written by a kindred soul.
  6. bbg

bbg Member

First run through tonight - very impressive turnout for a first rehearsal back after some pretty severe weather. Only one player (soprano) couldn't make it due to snow (he lives in a rural area), one working down south and another travelling back to uni, otherwise a full house including some new Youth Band promotions. Pity about the state of the Hall though - a burst pipe meaning no tolilet facilities, and efforts to fix the plumbing caused electrical problems, namely only half of the lights working.....................and the blooming fire alarm going off at regular intervals!! Not our own Hall, let's just say that tonight was rent-free.........

Going to enjoy working on this one - enough for us basses to concentrate on (single dotted quaver entries - at p or even pp?!! - and some semiquaver runs to keep us honest) and generally "tuneful" without technical exercises just for the sake of them.
  7. Kofi

Kofi Member

Just to go back to the split tenor horn part: what are people doing with that? If you are going with 4 horns, which part is taking the hit?

Quite enjoyed taking my first ever test piece rehearsal, although as you say Brian the fire alarm had me nearly kicking the panel off the wall...
  8. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

The revised version has only 3 horn parts. The split notes were already on other parts anyway.

Rehearsed the piece last night and, as someone said, there are non of the modern technical difficulties - although some of the bass runs are 'interesting' - but it will be a real test of intonation across all dynamics. You could say it requires a kind of 'pure' brass playing.
  9. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Can I just check this - the new copy of the score and parts (if this is what you refer to as the 'revised version'?) certainly has a split part for 2nd horn in the final pages of the score....

10. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

11. cmccabe

cmccabe New Member

I have a copy of the 2nd horn part here... There are split parts throughout. I don't have the original for comparison, but it doesn't seem like much was removed; just amalgamated.
  12. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Actually, just looking at the score, it is as the previous poster says - split parts throughout 2nd horn in the new version and interestingly some of the lower horn notes are not scored anywhere else in the band (at the same octave at least).
  13. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

We played both Butlins and Area Tests last night........What a difference! New proggressive(?) stuff is good but, well, L&L does that just as well-more so infact. From all singing bells and whistles to Melodic and lush tunes.
    Even though only a shed builder, Stood at the back I can enjoy the rich sounds of a band in full flight. What a difference from the past few years!
    Enjoy the blowing all ye brass players.......I may even spend time in the hall listening to this one!
  14. cmccabe

cmccabe New Member

So is anyone playing with 4 horns?
  15. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

The official line is to not play with 4 horns and to leave the lower horn part out I think. That said, I like 4 horns in a brass band!...hmmmm.....
  16. worzel

worzel Member

Is the restriction on the number of players, or number of instruments? I.e. should I start practising blowing two horns at once?
  17. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

The restriction is on the number of brass players (25 max), but because of the split part i'm sure I saw an official notice saying that the 2nd 2nd horn part should not be played. Regardless, if numbers permit (i.e if we have a player down in another section) then I would play four horns and make sure the part goes in to fill out the texture (as it was meant to be!)
  18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

If the official instruction is that the lower 2nd horn part should not be played, but you put in a player to play those notes, do you not risk losing marks for 'wrong' notes being played?
  19. Hessle47

Hessle47 New Member

This should explain what to do about the split second horn part:

"1. The horn parts have been reduced to three parts, as per modern
    practice - omitting the lower split part of the 2nd horn.
    Please also note the following - bands should ensure that, whichever edition of this music they have,
    the old one or the newly revised one, the fourth tenor horn part should be deleted from the score and if you have been issued with a part for this, it should not be used. The line may appear as a split part shown on the 2nd horn part.
  20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Aaaaaw, you've just ruined a good discussion ;)

But, seriously, thanks for the link.