Regionals 2010 : Third Section Test Piece - Labour and Love

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2010
    Third Section Test Piece

Labour and Love (Percy Fletcher)
    Published by R. Smith & Co.

:)

2. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Think it is a great choice of music!
    Our band probably have an original copy but have heard there is a re-printed version that has extra percussion added?
    Does anyone know if this is true?

3. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I don't think it has extra percussion added. The original had percussion (side drum and bass drum I think) but these parts weren't included on the conductor's score. I understand in the reprint they are included on the score. But I wasn't aware that there is anything extra to what was there originally.

Of course, I may be wrong.

4. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Hmmm it's a very brave and interesting choice, and a piece that is so full of music and does paint a lot of musical pictures as did a lot of the music from that time does, and a lot of newer music does paint musical pictures today. It would be interesting to compare the labour and love of Percy Fletchers time and the images that he was expressing back then to Today’s 2010 Labour and Love if an new piece was to be written picturing the struggles of work and love that would be an interesting set of images you would be trying to express.

I think this piece will be a marmite type piece you will either love it or hate it. Personally I feel it will be a piece that most 3rd section band can play in regards to the notes etc but getting the music out of it is another question. Also who is in the box for the each area i.e. for what sort of slant they will take on the piece an older adjudicator in the box i.e. Mr Broadbent for example might be looking for a more older sound / interpretation as that sort of sound will of been ingrained in their minds of how the piece sounded back in the pieces heyday. where as a younger adjudicator might be looking for a newer interpretation to the piece not dis-crediting any of the adjudicators any adjudicator will always be looking for the basics of tuning, intonation togetherness, dynamics and tempo as the marker to separate the bands out but the winner when all the boxes are ticked will be more or less down they sound and interpretation that they want.

Colin Doran,
    BBb Bass monkey Lostock Hall Band

Please note that the above comments are my personal thoughts only and do not reflect any opinion of any one else or the band that I play for / represent

5. Blagger

Blagger Member

:eek: Blimey Col - Short of something to do today??? ;)

Personally I'm looking forward to it - a great old style Euph solo to milk :p

6. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

great piece :)

7. euphman1

euphman1 New Member

Got to agree with Lostock man - it seems we are up against each other again.
    Trevor Hughes - solo Euph - Uppermill

8. euphman1

euphman1 New Member

Have found a (yellow) copy of the Euph part. I think some of our younger players might be confused by the "back to front" quaver rests and (I suspect) the trombone parts in tenor clef.
    Perhaps it's a good idea to have had it re-printed!!!!

9. Beesa

Beesa Member

The bands should be made to play it on Boosey solbron's and pea-shooter trombones. Only percussion - side drum and marching drum resting on a cornet case.

10. Blagger

Blagger Member

Hi Trevor
    hey - at least you wont have to stand out in the cold for nearly an hour before playing this time - you cant beat good old Fleetwood ;)

Name's Phil by the way - nice to talk to you on Sunday :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Third Section Test Piece - Labour
    Love
    GJG
    partsBTW
    score
  12. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Might be seeing you guys at Wilkies, if you're there.

Look out for a long haired trombone player in a Delph Walking out or Purple Stage Jacket.

That be Me!

13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Tonight was a 'Find a piece for the next contest...' rehearsal, so we thumped through a few possibilities....

L&L was one, 'cos it's on the horizon....

The man in the middle read the 'notes' - we were wetting ourselves. 'He' says this, 'she' says that... FFS, dated or what?

Then we played it, and dated or not - it'll be a test of 'band' playing :rolleyes:

(PS As a flugel player, I hope the new arrangement has separate Flug and rep parts...)

14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

:D

You forgot making the bass trombones use the old G trombone with no triggers!

It was written in the days of "high-pitch" instruments. And percussion was not generally permitted in contests at that time, which may be why the parts are rather rudimentary.

It would be rather interesting to hear it played on instruments from the period in which it was written. I'll bet that the modern players would find a new respect for those "back in the day" who didn't have the advantage of current technological and manufacturing skill.

15. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Bring it on! I'll be interested to see if anyone actually does this. I bet at least one band does. Makes a refreshing change from the "turn your bell towards the audience" gimmick!

I wonder if such a rudimentary percussion kit would assist in a quick changeover time?

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

To be honest, it's the only way you can play it "as the composer intended". If my band get marked down for not playing it in the style it was originally written, I'm going on an axe wielding rampage unless the bands above us all played on period instruments.

I've only played through my part on my own so far, and it's certainly not a great technical challenge (what's that you lads in the first section were saying?), but having listened to the recording it'll probably do an ok job of sorting out the top and bottom bands on the basics.

As for turning your bell out to the audience, I'm just trying to work out how close to the adjudicator's tent I can get in the 2 bars before the recit. Gotta make sure he hears it, like.

17. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

I am sure there are some band out there that are still playing on these instruments as they have never been able to afford new ones ;) any band that turns out with a full set of orignal instruments sould be given bonus points and even better if the played in period uniforms too ;) tonge firmly in cheek :biggrin:

Colin Doran,
    BBb Bass monkey Lostock Hall Band

Please note that the above comments are my personal thoughts only and do not reflect any opinion of any one else or the band that I play for / represent

18. DaveEb

DaveEb Member

I think one of those old daft hats would suit you actually!

19. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I am still waiting for new copy to arrive, I have however got a handwritten score without percussion

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticed that the (original) score calls for four horns ... ?

21. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

erm, did I tell you I had a plan for that recit section ??? and i'm not joking! I'll speak to you about it on Monday but it's a winner!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Third Section Test Piece - Labour
    Love
    GJG
    partsBTW
    score