Regionals 2010 : Second Section Test Piece - Kingdom of Dragons

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2010
    Second Section Test Piece

Kingdom of Dragons (Philip Harper)
    Published by Harper Music

:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Test Piece - Kingdom of Dragons
    comments
    Regionals
    consideration
  3. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

We haven't received our set of parts and score for this yet - Printing problems we've been told.

4. Hello everyone!

Although 'Kingdom of Dragons' wasn't available in Harrogate, it has been for the last week or so. Your best bet is to order direct from us so please visit www.harpermusic.co.uk for full details.

This piece is published by Harper Music Publications - contrary to the Regionals CD booklet!

5. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Hello "Harper Music Publications",

As I understand it we've had an order in with JustMusic since notification of the test piece and they are saying there are problems fulfilling this at the moment. Do you know if there are problems?

Thanks,

Simon.

6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

It was dissapointing to not be able to collect it and save the postage fee, I made the trip to harrogate especially. . .

7. Hello Simon,
    Just Music should be in a position to supply you by now I hope. There are no problems that we know about.
    Hope you find it worth the wait!
    Philip

8. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

We've contacted them this afternoon and they say they will be able to send it out tomorrow, so it should be sorted now - thanks.

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to locking horns with this one, it sounds interesting!

10. MattB

MattB Member

I'm finding this one hard to like. Maybe it's just me, but i'm having difficulties picking out both structure and melodies. It seems very thrown together, and certainly for me sounds like poor film soundtrack music.

11. The piece was written for Gwent youth brass band. I played the euphonium part, absoultly fantastic piece. Ther really are some fantastic musical moments in it. Phil has done a stunning job! :tup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Test Piece - Kingdom of Dragons
    comments
    Regionals
    consideration
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Yep! I tend to agree with you. Received our music this week and have now had a chance to look at the score. There's something to test every section and every player, and I particularly like the slower movement. Having read the synobsis, it sounds a very descriptive piece which could lead to some interesting interpretations. Looking forward to some intensive rehearsals after Christmas.

Should definitely sort the men out from the boyo's.

:tup

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Having had a loan of the Regionals CD this week, I have to say so far I like Kingdom of Dragons. Certainly sounds like it'll be a test, but one that's also listenable (the slow section is beautiful). Still haven't picked out which bit is the Pontypool front row, but maybe need to listen a couple more times!
    Sop has some work to do at the beginning, too!
    Same goes for the Sant-Saens Variations in the 4th section, very clever.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I Think the Pontypool frontrow must be the percussion, well ours look like they been in a maul or two!

16. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think you're right, listened to it again on the way into work this morning and I think it's the percussion bit immediately after the slow hymn section.

Does this mean there'll be a rush to sign prop forwards to play timps in time for March 2010?

17. Shell

Shell Member

just listened to it today and can't wait to see it! :D

18. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Had our first look at it last night - a very promising piece, technically challenging but achievable, and musically rewarding. I'm tempted to stick my neck out and say my instinct is that a lot of bands will play the piece too fast and too loud, which is a shame...

I'm not sure whether there were printing problems or not, however there are a few things which suggest the printed parts/score were rushed out - a few places with misleading notation, tricky page turns, possibly missing dynamic markings. Nothing insurmountable, but still a little frustrating, as these things take the shine off a new piece.

Big thumbs-up overall though; I'm looking forward to it...

19. Thank you for the feedback, Jack. Hope you are still enjoying it next March!
    Regarding the parts/score, as you'd expect we have spent many hours proofing this piece, including sessions with two different bands after which we altered some notation on the advice of the players. We were also very careful in making all page turns manageable on all parts. This is not to say that we're claiming there isn't something we've missed! But we'd be happy to hear of specific issues/possible errata.

20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I can legitimately play a Pedal C for 8 bars without getting slagged off for inappropriate pedalling.

21. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I can't tell my basses off yet, we still haven't got ours :(. . . .

22. Shell

Shell Member

It's ok...I'm sure we can find something else to have a go at you about :D