Regionals 2010 : Fourth Section Test Piece - Saint-Saëns Variations

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Just listened to the recording and love it :)
  2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

I`m not playing it but have heard the recording and thought it was a beautiful piece of music. Our newly formed Band, Verwood B, begins its Contesting career in the West of England Areas which is why I have a particular interest. Actually our MD is signing for Verwood B (he is solo Euph with Jag Coventry at the moment) because this is such a good piece...
  3. Frontman

Frontman Member

Looking forward to this years North West Area this year after being told that there are 24 bands entered in the 4th section.

Very Interesting.
  4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Some decent playing on the recording but it smacks of what it probably is, sightreading tazzfest. Some of the tempos seem to be out and there are some effects that aren't in the score.

We've been blowing through the piece the last couple of weeks and i'm starting to like it...its going to make for a very interesting contest in Blackpool, bring it on! :biggrin:
  5. backrow

backrow New Member

Mr Bb
    As a founder member of Oldham Brass 97, I have to say that I don't recall you either. Could you clarify when you played for them.
  6. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

And I must say having been there from start I don't recall you? Maybe i'm wrong but please enlighten us?
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

Why, will it add to everyone's understanding of Mr Sparke's testpiece?

Haven't had chance to hear the piece yet, I'm interested to hear how much of the original is in there, and how deeply buried - must be hard to resist the temptation to just put the last 30 bars in without alteration, because it takes some beating as a finale!
  8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

attn Timpanists!

Can I just bring something to the attention of all timpanists? There are three timp rolls in this piece where I managed to forget to add the slashes - in bars 93, 100 and 543. These should all be rolled through to the next note.

Apologies for the errors, but I hope these are the only ones in the score.
  9. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

Thanks for that, our Timp guy would like to know if its plain Cheese or any filling of his choice
  10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I don't do cheese, I'm afraid.......
  11. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

Thats so true, but youve put us in a pickle a few times!!
  12. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Its time to break the silence! I’ve got my teeth into the solo cornet part now. The harmonies in the band are great. I enjoy it from start to end, especially the last bars where my band in the northwest take it at something like 200! :eek:
    Even people I know who play in 4th section bands but haven’t contested and
    don’t normally have heard it and think it’s an excellent choice for a test piece.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  13. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Will they be providing portable oxygen masks for the Bass players for the last three lines.
    There is no way on Gods little earth that Bass players can play ALL the music on the last three lines.
    By the time you have taken a breath you have missed two bars.
  14. Frontman

Frontman Member

So will everyone else. Its marked at minim = 100.

There are 23 bands actually competeing at Blackpool and it is happening in the Spanish Hall again, starting at 11am.
  15. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Only joking! I think they must have been taking quicker then normal for the sake of practicing fast. It’s nice to hear there are to be more bands at the Northwest. There were nine in all competing in the Yorkshire fourth section last year.
  16. backrow

backrow New Member

An interesting piece. The word is that the adjudicators do not expect any fourth section band to be able to play it.
  17. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Well the adjudicators will just have to wait and see which bands can! The word is also that players have a good feeling about pulling the test piece off well, even if it isn’t to some persons taste.
  18. backrow

backrow New Member

very good point, with any luck the adjudicators will get a shock, I think that bands are enjoying this and there will be some good performances come the day.
  19. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Where did you hear that the 4th Section starts at 11-00a.m.I was informed by Peter Bates that it starts at 11-30a.m. Has there been a change in starting times?
  20. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Adjudicators have been, and most still are, players of the highest quality who understand what can and cant be achieved in the lower sections, and this is exactly what makes Saint Saens Variations an excellent choice. Whatever the results, whatever the region, players can only improve with the experience of the harmonies and rythmic challenges that the piece sets.
    Excellent music.