Regionals 2010 : Championship Test Piece - English Heritage

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2010
    Championship Test Piece

English Heritage
    (George Lloyd) – published by R. Smith & Co.

2. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Listen to the first FOUR notes of the slow section.

It's Blackadder!!

Howard Goodall should sue
  3. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Heard it last night for the first time. Lots of bands will play the notes, not sure all will have the stamina to see it through to the end at the proper dynamics. What do those who have played this think?

Great piece though, and can't wait to hear the top bands play this.
  4. Kjata

Kjata Member

BRILLIANT, next question!! :) enjoyable to listen to and play, good choice guys!!
  5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Doesn't take stamina to play a proper ppp> !!
    Just needs lots of control.
    Bet there won't be many that manage the quiet bits properly though.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Bass parts have to be sustained at volume and full sound in latter parts though.
  7. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Stunning piece. fantastic choice. Beautiful music. Can't wait!!
  8. I bet a few principal cornets are bricking it!
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I would have thought a few are thinking "brilliant!" (tis a touch hard though!) ;)
  10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

True - but that's all down to planning the breathing across the section, and holding back F and FF dynamics to allow the surge to a controlled FFF at the end.
    And (for EEb's at least) its all in a great register for loud playing.
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Or you could use a mute...! ;)
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Sorry bout that folks - just had to get it in as things are getting a bit serious round the Nationals piece! Anyway! Had a couple of blows through the piece - just glad I'm not on the front row! :oops:

Great piece which'll be a real test for everyone, especially principal cornets. The old third finger's still in shock as it thinks it's been in retirement until faced with the semi quaver passages in this!
  13. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

English Heritage is a fantastic piece...great to play and great to listen really looking forward to getting my fingers stuck into those semi-quavers, although I don't have too many to worry about lol!
  14. the fish

the fish Member

Does anyone know if there is an officiaL errata for English Heritage?
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Brilliant piece....unless, like me, you are a soprano cornet player!

Booked myself elswhere to subdue the boredom

16. How many practice/cheat mutes will we see for a 'ppp'????;)
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

There's no need for one......
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

To be fair, there are a few mistakes here and there - nothing that can't be put right in 2 minutes.

Not quite along the lines of Masque. Now, who remembers that?
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

By Fred Devreese? Ohhh yes. Memorably described by a contest official, who came backstage while we were waiting to go on and said "it's like someone pullin' the 'eds off rats in there".

The only error I've found in EH is all those semiquavers on the 2nd cornet part.:rolleyes:
  20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Off the top of my head, there are a number of dynamics in the wrong place and differences between parts and score. As I said, not too much to get stressed out by.

I quite enjoyed Masque by the way. I quite enjoyed Prague, Images, etc. I draw the line at anything by Wilby though. Mind you, in the current state of musical appreciation in the brass band world, it will be many a long year before anything even remotely risky will be chosen for the areas again.