Regionals 2009: Third Section Test Piece: The Once and Future King, Andrew Baker

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2009
    Third Section Test Piece

The Once and Future King
    Andrew Baker

:)

2. Millsy

Millsy New Member

I'll let you know what i think after Wednesdays rehearsal when we have a run through it lol

Away with the 4th section now and into the new challenges of the 3rd - look forward to seeing fresh faces next March

3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Sounds an interesting one...can't wait to get stuck in!

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We - by which I mean myself and Gareth & Gavin at Jagrins Publications - are pretty confident that this music is error free. There certainly weren't any picked up in Switzerland last November. However if you have any queries about the piece please post them here and I'll do my best to answer them promptly. :cool: If I get any queries by PM I'll try to post the responses in this thread so that everyone here gets the same info.

Good luck to all the bands playing my piece, and I hope you enjoy it! :D

5. GC.

GC. New Member

Congratulations Andy. Great piece.

Don't think either of us would actually have believed this might happen when we in Switzerland!!! Great news though isn't it.

Graham Cole

www.gcolemusic.co.uk

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I had a question Andy - The last movement there is no indication of Quaver = Quaver or Crotchet = dotted . . etc, is it expected to be as CD (Q = Q), or is there some interpretation (dreaded word) involved?.

Still loving listening, did you get to go and "chip in" at the recording?

7. QAD

QAD Member

Thanks Andy,
    Looking forward to this, haven't seen or heard it yet (hoping postie will bring soon). After several years of Walzes in the fourth section, I'm really looking forward to some original music now we've battled our way to the third section (...there isn't a waltz is there???? ;)).

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

@Graham: Many thanks! And despite Blackpool and Bradford not being quite as glamorous as Montreux I think I'm possibly looking forward to them more :eek:

@Garry: Definitely quaver=quaver, as per the CD. I wasn't at the recording as I couldn't get down to South Wales on the nights they were doing it, but as Gavin from Jagrins is now playing for them he was my proxy!

@Huw: You're safe. No waltz! :D

9. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

My band has the piece. Haven't played it yet. I've been trying to find a recording of it online, and no such luck. I may have to see if anyone buys the Regionals CD, or heaven forbid buy it myself?! :eek:

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It'll eventually make it onto the WoB site as a download.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Third Section Test Piece
    The Once and Future King
    Bad Piece
    Andrew Baker
    Andy
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Samba? Rumba?

13. Dave1

Dave1 Member

I don't think King Arthur did the Samba ????????????:)

14. Dr.Crippen

Dr.Crippen New Member

Oh Dear

15. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

:lol:

16. Anybody got any idea what the percussion part is like please

17. Millsy

Millsy New Member

Ran through the piece last night - what a cracker!!!!! 3rd movement is fantastic! It mashes you're head up with all the time changes lol.
    We played it as Q = Q, i think it makes sense to do so.

18. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

How many movements in this one?

Oh, and how does the Euph part sound?

*thinks* I thought King Arthur was into the Tango...

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Last night - have I slept through 3 months and it's Jan already? all sounds very keen to me!!

20. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Hahaha. Yeah, I'll probably ask to look at my part, the whole band playing the piece for the first time is probably a couple of months away.

21. tat

tat Member

Your lucky, the first time we normally have a full band sat down to play it is on the day!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Third Section Test Piece
    The Once and Future King
    Bad Piece
    Andrew Baker
    Andy