Regionals 2009: Second Section Test Piece: New World Sketches, Daniel Price

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hard old week this week,lots of fine tuning,dynamics and all the nice but tedious bits to go through and only days to go for us!!!

2. rikster

rikster New Member

I read this forum quite a lot and have to say that I'm fascinated by peoples views of test pieces, NWS in particular, but I wonder what the chances are of finding a test piece that everybody likes, no moans about not having an interesting part, him having a better solo, It can't be any good it's new music, its yellow music!
    About as much chance as finding rocking horse droppings I'd say.

3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I still quite like this piece but will be glad to hand in the music after saturday. Our last rehearsal tonight and yours truly was very bad. MD says "I don`t expect you of all people to do stupid mistakes and short notes where they are not written..." Ho hum guess I`ll be practising before the long drive to Torquay tomorrow then. Everyone else was mostly pretty good, though not all were able to be there. For me there has not been that "magic moment" when it all slots into place and the band is awesome. Still I do so like a poor rehearsal before the job as it means you have not left the best performance in the bandroom and Verwood is the coolest, calmest band on stage that I have ever played with.

Sincere good luck and good fortune to all the bands playing in the West of England this weekend with special love to Hyde and Otterbourne and Yeovil.

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

As a Flugel player in NWS you get some moments to shine, as does the majority of the band. I can only assume that Dan Price had a nasty experience with a BBb player in his youth, and has never forgot the fact.

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There is a little bit more to do in the Eb bass part.

6. marc71178

marc71178 Member

If I remember rightly, Dan played both B Flat and E Flat bass at various times back in his youth.

7. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Our last rehersal tonight... (Camborne B) going well! Sounding better then i thought to be honest! spesh with my old mate tubbytuba next to me ;) hahaa. But can't wait to not play it anymore =D. Don't really like the bass part! lol

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Case rested M'Lud

9. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Good luck to all on the day,lots of good banter here over the last few months,next stop the stage and then the BAR lol

10. brassbandmaestro

Good luck to the bands competin g today. South West and Scotland, isn't it?

11. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Wow had to get on here as i got through the door what a result for Camborne"B" 1st and off to Harrogate,2nd trip in 2 years.Very well done to all our youngsters with an average age of 19 and three quarters and that includes the five adults if you take out the adults its 15 and three quarters cant wait for the finals!!!

12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Nope we've got another week! Today was Wales!!! BTW Gaun yerselves Point of Ayr!!!!:clap:

13. brassbandmaestro

Yes, Point of Ayr. Good to see this band still going.

14. Mesmerist

You go for it DMBabe and get a good result. Our adjudicators said that lots of bands had good percussion and lots were good bands but not always together and at the same time. Said the start seemed to catch out a few with entries being too quiet. The 3 top bands in our area all had the same interpretation - in tempos ect. One or two bands took real liberties and one stopped between each movement and they were all at the bottom. Alan Fernie said it was about the MD being able to organise the bands well. Some took Rodeo too fast to cope with. Some got nervous in Deep South.
    Anyway good luck to all of you still to compete with this piece. My part has already been handed in hopefully to become yellow in some dusty old cabinet.

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

So u didn't grow to love it after all mezzy? Am terribly conflicted at the moment between wanting to do well enough to go to Harrogate cos the band has worked so hard and TMP friends have qualified and not wanting to do too well cos I'll end up back in the first section playing weird junk like Pentacle!!! :dunno

16. leisa

leisa Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! We are playing it in Pogson Bray now!!!! Will I ever get to put it away????!

17. Mesmerist

I don`t dislike it but it will never make my favourite list. We are quite shocked to find ourselves promoted to 1st section by 1/2 a point. Not quite what we wanted!
    Here is a tip from one of our euph players for the start - she uses these words for the flugel and euph rhythms - "look at ME", "look at Me, I`m really great!". For the car horn its 2 words - one beginning with F and the other word is off and the bar at B ends with "up yours". Such a nice classy band... Go on Babe its not always Pentacles, it has been the Wayfarer. 1st Section is my favourite one because the music is usually more fun and you still get the excitement of promotion hopes - none of the Championship keeping out of relegation zone scary stuff.

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

its one of them I quite like listening to but dont really like playing

19. brassbandmaestro

Poor you Leisa! My sympathies. At least we have a different test-piece to play, at our next one, which happens to be next month, our association contest. not too far to travel for this one, thank god!

20. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Well its been a good old weekend and like Verwood we are also up to the 1st section,it will be very interesting to see how we cope with it,as a band we didnt exist until 2002 so its been a rapid rise up the ranks and as for playing in a jazz style for NWS i think by all opinions we cracked it lol