Regionals 2009: Second Section Test Piece: New World Sketches, Daniel Price

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Early Start

Its a dread if you get that No1 draw especially after a rehersal on the Friday evening,then up at 5am on the Sat to catch the bus,and then we have a room booked as well for an early rehersal!!

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I keep finding myself humming the tune from Deep South... I wish I could stop doing that.

3. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

The predictions are looking very interesting!

4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

god I feel sorry for you guys, this piece is pure stilton.

5. Mesmerist

Take no notice!!!! Look at all the hype about Oldham Lees at the nationals last year.

Lets be realistic - little Verwood have only just come up to 2nd section and i am sure the likes of Shrewton, Bristol East and yourselves are much more likely to snatch this title.

6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Weve not been here long neither Mesmerist,i think Shrewton could do well or Forest of Dean maybe a dark horse,one thing in our favour we have that very young band,they just dont seem to suffer any nerves at all. It will be very strange for me as its myself and two of my daughters playing Amber on principal horn and Abigail on 3rd cornet and myself on Bbbass

7. bbg

bbg Member

We gave NWS a public airing this evening, at a charity concert held in a local church. Not quite our full contest line-up due principally to students with Friday night hotel jobs - three cornets light and probable "reserves" on Eb bass and bass trom. Church acoustic certainly gave a new sound to the piece, no doubt we'll receive a full and frank "debrief" at Sunday's rehearsal. Audience seemed to enjoy it as a concert piece though.

8. Mesmerist

We had a 3 hour rehearsal today and one of the horn players had made me a birthday cake which we all shared with chocolate biscuits and a cup of tea. I love my band.
    Its finally going quite well now with NWS. Only person who is still a rhythm doughnut is the flugel player at the ritmico in deep south. After all its very hard to come in on the 2nd beat isn`t it???
    On the up side 8 of us had private lessons with Mr S Sykes yesterday and that makes a big difference to individual confidence. Ian on solo euph is SUPERB!!!! what a sound....
    And another bonus for us is the possibility that one of our absent players may be back in time now to join us in Torquay.

9. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

It must be rehersal Sunday lol,we have just done two hours,interspaced by lots of hymn tunes it really would be agony to play NWS for 3 hours surely??? Quite a few of our young band did a concert with the British Army Brass Band last night and they had sectionals this morning,a hard weekend for them i thinks!!!

10. I wish we had a rehearsal today... I'm bored of ironing/hoovering/polishing/fixing my car/uni work, hahaha! Roll on tomorrow when everything kicks off again although, we have a music festival to play in this next weekend and I suspect we'll be working on the pieces for that.

So, out of all the percussionists on here who is playing the car horn?! I love mine!! :D

11. Mesmerist

Tubby - you think a 3 hour rehearsal bad? Flugel player has to spend evening listening to her part on sibelius to try and get it right...

12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Try 10 + hours we've got ahead of us next weekend!!!!:eek:

13. Mesmerist

14. rikster

rikster New Member

I know what your flugel player is going through mesmerist! I'm hoping I have finally cracked it, still only got to get it right on the day eh?

15. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

We as all bands are getting the hours in and as per the usual build ups it will probably be every night the week before the area,we have to give you a run for your money Messi lol.Our young flugel is 13 and seems to be doing a great job so wots the problem ha ha

16. Mesmerist

I know Tubby... its EASY so whats the problem???? I have rhythm dislexia? Never mind I WILL do it on the day (or its a long walk home) and I`m ok on that scrumpious cheesy solo. (I love that bit!)

ps we have only just been promoted. Give us a chance!

17. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

,Well Messi its only our 2nd year in this section,its a long old story but its only in the year2000 that our Bband formed up although its great that we can pull on all our youth band players.Its a great vehicle to keep them in our organisation and stop them leaving for other bands. To be fair to them though the youth band are at the present, also preparing for the national youth champs at Manchester so they are working on 3 test pieces at the moment and we have a major concert (400 seats to fill) in March also to celebrate 10 years under the baton of Alan Pope (5 National titles) wow!!! Lol

18. Mesmerist

I will seek you out Tubby. Our band is thinking of forming a B band just because the numbers we have turning up is becoming almost unworkable. We have just heard that another player (from a Championship band) is joining us after the Areas. Its great and fantastic but we have to accommodate all our members and there is a very healthy training band run by our solo euph as well.
    Well I will come and talk to you if I get that bit right and don`t have to throw myself and/or the flugel under a passing bus...

19. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Messi take a look at www.cambornetownband.com,ive even got my piccy in the Bband bit lol but there is some good history on our site

20. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

A night off from NWS lol but lots of other stuff to get through! It was a nice change