Regionals 2009: Second Section Test Piece: New World Sketches, Daniel Price

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2009
    Second Section Test Piece

New World Sketches
    Daniel Price

2. I'll start the ball rolling...

I like it from what I've heard on the CD. Not actually seen the score yet.
    It might stop us percussionist moaning - who am I kidding, we like to moan :lol: Lots of different types of whistles needed. Perhaps even a seperate stage for us as there seems to be quite a lot of gear needed.

Lots of big sounds in areas and bass trombone has something interesting to do for a change. Seems to be a lot of work for cornets.

There is a section in the first movement that sounds like it could break into something from 'Chicago'. Although, in saying that I've just read the notes for it and it says, "There is the sound of a Broadway show..."

Overall, a very interesting piece that will challenge some people I believe.

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Our music arrived yesterday. Looks interesting at first look - haven't heard the recording yet though.
  4. rikster

rikster New Member

I listened to the Cd on the way back from Harrogate. I like it and think that most people will find something in it. Should be interesting for those bands who only have two perc. players. New jogging shoes in black called for?
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

What's it like for cornets? I haven't and probably won't hear it for a while! :(
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I have it on the iPod - i'll let you have a nosey next week when i'm up.

oh, 4 pecussion parts from what i hear!
  7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Tough for solo euph and principal cornet I was told. And a quiet rest for flugels who may be forced to help out on percussion to stay involved. We have not bought the piece yet but the CD is lurking around somewhere. Sounds nice enough (not like 1st section)
  8. leisa

leisa Active Member

Cheers! I should have known the king of cool (ha) would have it!!

:-( mezzy moo, you can swap with me if you like?
  9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I don't want to see it till the New year, no doubt I will though!
  10. huggie

huggie Member

I returned to banding in January after a 14 year break and have to say that I have been bitterly disappointed with the second section test pieces so far ( Alberta Suite, 3 Part Invention, Crusade). I have high hopes for this one, I hope it doesn't disappoint too !
  11. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Just heard the recording and initial feeling are not so positive - sounds very trite!! However, I'm sure once I've seen the score I'll change my mind!!
  12. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

We had a practice on the test piece last night, it's different and it should prove interesting.
  13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I`ve seen my part and it looks difficult to me. Not the notes or anything technical (though it does go very low) but the counting and rythms and the Gershwin style. I swing like a brick in cement so forsee much bellowing coming my way from the MD...
    Don`t think our band will be starting on it for a while though as we have two pieces for Leicester Contest in November to get ready and a big Concert next month then a CD recording in the new year.
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I like the sound of this piece very good
  15. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

When I heard the Test Piece on the bus back from Harrogate my first thoughts were - Oh My God!! It seems to go at a fair lick....and I think I've got my work cut out for me - being that I'm, in the main, a self-taught percussionist!
  16. leisa

leisa Active Member

Just listened to the piece (thanks Garry!) I like it! It sounds cool!!!! :biggrin:
  17. Mercedes

Mercedes Member

Oh dear!

New World Sketches D. Price

An insult to brass banding.

Plagiarism - trite - rubbish - embarrassing ?

Who the heck sanctioned the use of this piece for the Regionals?
  18. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

So you like it then! I am looking forward to a run through. Or at least I !was
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

I think its ace, its better than the tripe ive played in the 1st section the past 3 years!! Scrap that, about the past 5 years!!
  20. Mercedes

Mercedes Member

2003 Test Piece: Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms - Arthur Butterworth
    2004 Test Piece: Coventry Variations - Bramwell Tovey
    2005 Test piece: Comedy Overture - John Ireland
    2006 Test piece: Voyage of Discovery - Goff Richards
    2007 Test piece: Sinfonietta The Wayfarer - Eric Ball
    2008 Test Piece: James Cook– Circumnavigator - Gilbert Vinter

I don't think that even D Price would agree with you there.