Regionals 2009: Fourth Section Test Piece: The Talisman for Brass Band, Frank Hughes

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2009
    Fourth Section Test Piece

The Talisman for Brass Band
    Frank Hughes

2. Quaver

Quaver Member

Here goes, I'll kick it off.

Overall a great piece for a test piece, (I have only "heard" the scorch version) but reading the score I think it is challenging in its exposure and demand for the usual second parts.

Having read as much as I can about the piece (I was always taught to paint a picture for the audience) I can see the nocturne, as plain song. I can see the battle with the devastation, those lovely chords in the center. But I'm struggling with the 1st movement. I sort of see the politics and constant changing allegiances potrayed by the rhythmic and time sig changes but not a lot more.

Anyway I hope we don't see a small entry as I feel this will be a great challenge.

One point in ref to their comments about 4BR 0 please be a lot more positive about us bottom of the barrel bands - the vast majority really are here for the fun and friendship. Either at the end of a playing carreer or the start or maybe just too busy with home and work to commit to a more demanding practice schedule.
  3. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

4th Section The Talisman

On first hearing it appears to be a little cracker, and 2,3,4,5,6,78,9, 10 jack queen king hearing it definately appears to be a cracker, and should ensure that the "best" (allround) band progress.
    I think the Eb Bass players will think they have the Euphonium part!! No long dangerous solos to contend with, deep sonorous chords minor to major, and some nifty reading and competence required throughout.
    Changing moods, unison deep long notes, an excellent choice indeed i think.

4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Thanks for the positive comments, I'm sure bands will enjoy the piece when they get working on it and I agree about the Eb Bass part - I'm not looking forward to the deep resentment that my own Eb Basses are going to harbour once they see the part (which will be tonight), It will certainly challenge most 4th section bands (I had originally thought it would be suitable for 3rd section - but I'm only a conductor and publisher, what do I know!!!).
  5. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

It certainly seems on first "hearing" (again only the Scorch file) to be an interesting piece and one that will stretch a lot of 4th Section bands.

I'm actually looking forward to the Eb bass part this year (unlike last year). I get the feeling that "poor tuning" is going to be appearing on a lot of adjudication notes' but then I suppose that that is where the good MDs will earn their salt and get those issues out of the way before the day (as much as they can here in the 4th Section anyway).

I also agree with Quaver that a lot of the "second" parts look challenging, I can imagine a lot of conductors shifting some of the 2nd baritone onto a euph for instance.

I do like it though, and any band that nails it and wins through to Harrogate will not be extremely satisfied but also probably well on the way to promotion if they haven't gained it already.
  6. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Looks hard for 4th. Jumps from e to top b flat etc and pretty fast semiquaver runs on the troms. ouch
  7. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Having listened to the recording on the regionals CD, it sounds good, i think it will be a bit much for quite a few bands, the trom part is a bit frightning, and the bass part is crazy. I have not as yet had a look at the scorch file to see what my parts going to be like but i hope its fun to play and not horrible and rubbish like last years piece
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah I picked that up too, I just wonder how many conductors have the bottle and belief to go with there bari and trom players and not give everything to the euph!!

This piece smacks of a well constructed, typical oldie brass band piece....which should mean banders will love it!:D I agree with everyone else that its going to be difficult to pull off...cluster chords, sparse scoring and a Ball/Gregson type last movement, I think we could see a nation wide bout of insomnia between xmas and march :biggrin:
  9. alks

alks Member

Certainly looks a lot harder than the pieces we have had from the last few years and from listening to it i think a much harder test. It also feels to be more energitic. As quaver said tall the parts seam to have something to do with even the 3rd cornets having some exposed parts. Some parts seam to come in on top A's from nowhere so perhaps a lot more split notes on the day?

10. woolly

woolly Member

A great choice

On first look not the usual fayre of nice tunes.....

It will only be my second Area waving the stick but I am really looking forward to taking the band on this one (whether they will be is another thing all together!!)

Irrespective of the eventual results I am sure this will be one to remember and as with last year I am sure the best bands will win.(as was proven by the national result - Well done the North West bands)..
  11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Would people, me not having it yet(!), say, could be too difficult for the average 4th section band to play?
  12. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I play for a 4th section band, but I'd like to think we're quite a strong 4th section band - sitting joint 6th in the LSC grading table.

I don't think it looks too difficult for our band - but it is certainly a piece we are going to have work at technically, a good challenge I think.

Everyone in the band is going to have to practise - there's nowhere to hide, even the 3rd cornets are exposed at some points. I'm looking forward to it, although we won't start proper rehearsals until after Christmas.
  13. alks

alks Member

Just in case its needed on this thread here's the direct link to the scorch version so people can look at the score and have a listen. (so can just refer to first page of this thread to find link in future)

14. Quaver

Quaver Member

As I kicked it off, maybe I can be allowed to start a debate within the thread.

Most comments ackowledge the exposure of the normally sheltered parts (eg 2nd Cnt, Bari, Horn) and a suggeststion that MDs may move the part to a "safer" pair of hands (lips).

SO - why not have open adjudication just to see who (which bum on which seat) plays what!

I know - but just humour me and see what people think.
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yep this piece is making me think
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

At last!

Huge thanks to the powers that be that chose this piece. :clap:
  17. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

This could be a very interesting and tough challenge for many fourth section bands. You can certainly see and hear the pieces roots as a quartet in the harmony and scoring all this unison between parts is going to really stretch some bands playing and ears. Nice mix of the old and new (old style melodies and many time signatures). Bands will definately need to get working on their unison playing before tackling this I think.
  18. challenging trombone part you guys say, WELL THANK GOD, AT LAST! :D

hopefully this will keep me interested for the up and coming area, the last few trombone parts ive played for area contests have been DIRE!, ok maybe dsotm had some of the melody but it was still an average part

huddersfield and ripponden brass ensemble will have a slightly different team to the 1 of this years area but i think it will be a strong 1 for next years yorkshire 4th section and we are focusing hard to make sure we come straight back up, not an easy task, but certainly doable!
  19. Martin

Martin Member

:) Have listened to this piece several times now, since getting the CD. I think it is great. I agree with other posts, though, that it is not going to be easy to master. But isn't that what contesting is about. Really looking forward to playing it. Nice one.:clap:
  20. MrBb

MrBb Member

Just listened to the Scorch link in the previuos page. Nothing realy in it for solo cornet which is a real shame and no decent solo to get your teath into :-( Seems like a lot for bottom end (Eb Bass OMG)! cornets just doing lots of quavers on one note. Might have to swap the cornet just to play an interesting part as there's nothing in the Solo cornet line at all. It just sounds like any other moderen test peice, wish they'd use some of the older ones, either that or Sibelius doesn't do i credit.