Regionals 2009: First Section Test Piece: Pentacle, Graham Cole

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. animal.22

animal.22 Member

We had no perc comments at all in our comments but neither did we get best perc prize. nuff sed methinks.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

we did'nt get any bass section comments, and no prize - nuff said

3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Adjudicators remarks are (generally) negatice, they are looking for reasons to remove points.

So no remarks should be taken as a job done ok - negative remarks, could do better - positive remarks, well done

4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

4 positive remarks isn't bad then.

5. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I tend to think that no remarks means that there is nothing worth comenting on either good or bad so after a particularly percusive piece like Pentacle I find it hard to believe that there was absolutely nothing the adjudicator could say.Maybe he just couldn't be bothered OR he wasn't listening.Yes, I know it sounds like sour grapes,but a little direction wouldn't come amiss.(Shruggs shoulders and wanders off into the sunset once again)

6. themusicalrentboy

casting an ENORMOUS shadow while he goes ;)

7. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

yes, talk us through which sticks were used one more time...

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Have a read of Mr Cole's latest post in the thread dedicated to the L & SC Regionals. It sounds to me like Mr Cosh was listening very carefully indeed.

I've always thought that the best person to give musical direction is the musical director who, unlike the adjudicator, hears the band playing every week and does so without the encumbrance of having to listen to it through the filter of a wooden or fabric screen. If the adjudicator can tell the MD something he doesn't already know, perhaps the band ought to be reviewing the MD's position.

9. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I've always thought that the best person to give musical direction is the musical director who, unlike the adjudicator, hears the band playing every week and does so without the encumbrance of having to listen to it through the filter of a wooden or fabric screen. If the adjudicator can tell the MD something he doesn't already know, perhaps the band ought to be reviewing the MD's position.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and on the whole you are correct BUT when some bands get perc comments in your own section and others dont I think it shows a little inconsistancy and if the person/people in the tent can't guarantee equal and consistant attention throughout the section perhaps he/she/they shouldn't be there.
    I for one would like to know whether my playing was good,bad OR indifferent
    Me and my shadow will now wander off into the sunset once again

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  10. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'll willingly accept that some adjudicators don't pay enough attention to the percussion section, but to criticise an adjudicator because he mentioned anotehr band's percussion but not yours seems a little bizarre.

I've pretty much always played on the back row, I've been on rep for three years and before that mostly second. Quite often there will be no comment specifically about any of the five back row Bb cornets in our adjudicator's comments, even when there are some exposed parts or a rep solo. Maybe I get a little disappointed not to be recognised, but I don't see any reason to expect the adjudicator to comment, even if he might have commented on another band's back row.

The logical conclusion of what you're saying is that as well as commenting on ensemble, musicality, tuning etc., the adjudicator should make sure he comments at least once on every section in every band, and frankly, that's not going to happen.

11. animal.22

animal.22 Member

The logical conclusion of what you're saying is that as well as commenting on ensemble, musicality, tuning etc., the adjudicator should make sure he comments at least once on every section in every band, and frankly, that's not going to happen.

12. well if you really want to know.......i used some wooden david morbey sticks in fire......and sean hooper medium hard and medium through the rest of the movements apart from movement 4 where i picked my nose and scratched my bum and had a listen for a bit.........tacet for mvmt 4!! if you want more details about the sticks use please ask lol!:rolleyes:

13. spyder

spyder New Member

No more sticks - please

Please, will you all stop giving ammunition to The Shed Builder to babble incesantly on about sticks - before I give him some ammunition fired out of a twelve bore.
    Does anyone care what sticks were used. PLEASE PLEASE STOP WINDING HIM UP - HE WILL DRIBBLE OUT DROSS FOREVER - I speak from experience

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

He is TOPDRAW leave him alone.
    Shed Builder keep em coming:woo

15. why thank you very much! :clap:

16. i might just go into details about the cloths that i used to dampen the timps in the 3rd movement..........i believe they were A grade yellow dusters folded 3 times length ways and then shared between two of the timps, they were purchased from somerfield in holywell for approx £1.25.............. need i go on.........anyway spyder pot? kettle? black? cheeky *******!!!!:ranting2:

17. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i was going to be encouraging and say "indifferent" based on lack of comments - after all you could be a 12 year old who needs an arm round the shoulder.

but seeing as you seem to have come to terms with it...
    i think he was just trying to save your feelings.

18. KKKKatie

KKKKatie Member

Oh gosh... someone stop him lol!!

19. animal.22

animal.22 Member

but seeing as you seem to have come to terms with it...
    i think he was just trying to save your feelings.

20. themusicalrentboy

you'd need a stepladder.