Regionals 2009: First Section Test Piece: Pentacle, Graham Cole

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2009
    First Section Test Piece

Pentacle
    Graham Cole

:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section Test Piece
    Graham Cole Well
    Pentacle
    Section Test Piece
    Graham Cole
  3. GC.

GC. New Member

Hello, my name is Graham Cole and I’m the composer of the 1st section area test piece Pentacle. Thought I’d sign up and start off this thread. I’d heard that people had been commenting on the area pieces and already I’ve had some congratulatory emails. Obviously I’m very pleased my piece has been chosen.

I can’t respond to all posts (sorry, I’ve not the time) but it will be a good place for people to raise any queries about ‘Pentacle’ (keep it clean please!!!) that I will be happy to answer – particularly any performance queries.

Finally, it’s great to see so many new composers/pieces picked this year. Whatever the outcome, I’m sure everyone can agree that some compositional ‘new blood’ into the brass band contesting scene has to be a good thing.

Good luck to all the bands playing my piece. Be patient…. and keep an open mind during those first rehearsals!

Graham Cole
    www.gcolemusic.co.uk

PS - Might regret doing this later, but it should keep it interesting if nothing else!

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Congratulations Graham!

(we meet again!)

Andy Baker

5. joshy

joshy Member

Can't say I've had a proper chance to listen to it yet (blasting between Harrogate and work constantly!) but there is a section in the second movement that I already love. Sounds difficult though and am looking forward to getting it under the fingers.

Congratulations on your piece being chosen!

Josh

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i think i will enjoy this piece

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Sounds interesting.. will have listen to entire performance later...

8. englishgill

englishgill Member

Can a recording of this be downloaded anywhere as a track on its own? I'm intrigued by the description and would like to have a listen!

9. tojo

tojo Member

have a listen on graham coles web site

10. englishgill

englishgill Member

thank you - am now mesmerised by the rotating CDs but given sufficient time I expect I'll recover ;)

11. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Got the score today - what a piece!!!!

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this one, so much detail in the score and so well written!!!

Quite refreshing after 2 years of "brown" music!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section Test Piece
    Graham Cole Well
    Pentacle
    Section Test Piece
    Graham Cole
  13. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Wonderful - a piece with SOUNDS in it!

Definitely the pick of the bunch in 2009.

14. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Arrrrgh just had a listen --- its horrible. Far too clever for its own good and could have done with a few more tunes in it. Howver it will be a good stern test for 1st section bands so I suppose its fulfilled its remit. Not looking forward to rehearsing it.

15. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Just had a quick listen. mmmmmm....... not sure. Suppose its one of those that you have to listen a few times to to see where the tune is :confused: but will have to see when we get the parts. Loads of perc & twiddly bits

16. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

too busy for me - sounds like a 'modern' piece to me (i.e. said to be modern to get out of it's inability to form any kind of melody). Too much perc and fussiness for me, but maybe it's a grower.

not terribly impressed on first impressions I have to say.

17. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Undecided on it at the moment. I'll form a better judgement after we've rehearsed if for a while, but I think I've got some serious practice to do!

What's more scary is that I've just noticed that my neighbour has a pentacle in her window. Could those cats that **** in my garden be her familiars?

18. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Having not seen the score yet, can someone tell me how many percussionists this is written for? Sounds to me like I'm going to have to recruit an army!!!!! :rolleyes:

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dave you will need a army ½)

20. GC.

GC. New Member

The short answer is that THREE percussionists are required to play Pentacle. The ‘official’ instrumentation is listed at the end of this post.

For information - at the Swiss Nationals, half of the 18 bands played with 3 percussionists and half played with four (+ one band with 5!). Fodens played with 3 for the CD recording.

Also, do correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the area rules do not state the amount of percussionists allowed. I understand that performing with (say) 4 percussionists would be allowed if bands wished. I also noticed that the numbers varied with different 1st section bands in Harrogate last week (although I do not know what the score required)

RULE 8 : The Contest is open to brass bands only, consisting of a maximum of 25 brass players plus percussionists, as required by the band.

Hope that helps.

Graham Cole
    www.gcolemusic.co.uk

Pentacle - Percussion requirements

Timpani (3) – (this is a designated Timpani part throughout)

Percussion 1: glockenspiel, xylophone, mark tree, bongos, medium tam-tam (28”)

Percussion 2 : snare drum, tenor drum, suspended cymbal, cowbell (fixed), vibraslap, whip

21. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the info. Although to be honest, it's not the quantity of percussionists allowed that's the problem - it's the quantity of percussionists available!! :( Still, I like a challenge, and I'll never complain about a test piece that gives us lot at the back something to think about!

The breakdown of the three parts looks very sensible and user friendly too, so that's good.

Personally, I'm looking forward to rehearsing this piece.

22. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Never mind the quantity required/available it's the QUALITY that matters.

Not seen/heard the piece yet but I doubt the difference between 1/2/3/4/etc percussionists will decide the result !

p.s. Graham, will I be challenged/enjoy the bass trom part?