Regionals 2009: Championship Section Test Piece: Salute to Youth, Gilbert Vinter

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Spent an hour on it last night as we had our first proper look at it .....well , I say an hour - we played for about ten minutes , the rest of the time was spent filling in dynamics etc and correcting errors grr!!
    Do these firms not have proof readers ?

2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Have to say I agree.

I have pretty much grown to enjoy all the test pieces I've had to play but this one just doesn't do it for me. It's all rather bitty, never going anywhere in my opinion and how the 2nd movement can be "Romance" is beyond me.

3. agentorange

agentorange Member

Is it because it's romance from the point of view of a youth rather than from the point of view of someone who's grown to know the true meaning of the word? :rolleyes:

Have to agree though, this one is not one of my favourites. Vinter wrote some superb stuff and (in my humble opinion) some pretty ordinary stuff. This is from the latter.

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well having listend to Area CD for 2009,a few times now
    This as to be the best piece of them all by a very long way as for the rest
    :hammer Saulte To Youth giving the rest of the Area pieces a good smack on the head:clap:

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Thanks Ian! ;)

Me, Dan, Frank and Graham are having a whip round to buy you Foden's new CD with Prague on it, we think you'll love it. :p

(just kidding - you hope;))

In fairness I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Salute - the sheer exuberance of the last movement is quite infectious, but only if you can nail all the fingering and make it sound easy. The other thing to bear in mind is historical context; imagine how this sounded in 1961 when the state of the art in band testpieces was Le Roi d'Ys and Resurgam - both good, but not exactly forward looking.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Andy my mate;
    Ive got a recording done by that great band of the mid 60's
    C.W.S Manchester playing Salute To Youth.
    Its a really great performance then and would still be something for the younger players today to hear to that great band with the likes of
    Derrick Garsdie(Principle Cornet),Brian Evans(Soprano),Lyndon Baglin(Solo Euphonium),Gordon Higginbottom(Solo Horn),Ian Bray(Solo Trombone),not forgetting Alex Mortimer(Conductor).
    Sadly i was not even born when the band Won the 2 national titles on Force Of Destiny &Belmont Variations but have managed since to get copies of both winning performances phew just sheer awsome playing.
    Also having been conducted by a former member of that famous band from both Wins in 1962&1963 at my first senior band i joined in 1977, my debut with them was
    NATIONAL FINALS 3RD SECTION 1977;(WALSALL METROPOLITAN BAND-now Staffordshire band)
    AND WON,a day i will never for get in my banding days at all.
    As for Prauge 5th November spings to mind LOL:hammer

7. 3rd movement, percussion, sleigh bells??
    Can't say I've heard any recording that has sleigh bells!!
    Anyone want to confirm if this is correct?
    It does appear on the stave where no other instrument has been used yet but on my old score it makes no identification as to what it is, but, the new parts say s/bells.

Thanks!;)

8. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I can confirm that it is jingles (or sleigh bells). There are many discrepancies between the score and part, both new and old. For example;

* The wood block rhythm in the first movement is wrong on the part but correct in the score
    * At the end of the last movement (just before the 4/4), the score doesn't indicate that it's snare drum on the bottom space of the stave (the snare drum part then moves back up to the third space of the stave a couple of bars later!)

There are more, but I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

Hope this helps a little

Gavin

9. JR

JR Member

In fairness I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Salute - the sheer exuberance of the last movement is quite infectious, but only if you can nail all the fingering and make it sound easy. The other thing to bear in mind is historical context; imagine how this sounded in 1961 when the state of the art in band testpieces was Le Roi d'Ys and Resurgam - both good, but not exactly forward looking.

As far as I'm aware Salute to Youth got a good reception in 1961 at the Areas but must have sounded astoundingly different. Especially in high pitch and without percussion..
    And don't forget they were still using old arrangements as late as 1968 (Beethoven 8) as area tests
    Actually the CWS Manc recording worth listening to just to note how that style of playing has totally disappeared - excessive vibrato, exaggerated phrasing with lots of rubato, not much staggering of breathing etc - and can you imagine the last movt being taken as slowly as that today?
    Alex Mortimer's interpretation of Vinter was generally pretty left field - I remember his Spectrum being very different.

John R

10. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

You top league boys don't know how lucky you are having Vinters work to play and not the Pentacle piece the 1st section are bashing through!

11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I have to say I was a bit agnostic as far as "salute" was concerned on the first couple of playings. Its really growing on me now though.

12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Like in a earlier post ive put ive got a record of that performance by CWS.MANCHESTER;
    Its different i agree with you but when you think they were one of the top bands of that yera its a good performance and i very much doubt if it would have been betterd by many bands of that time;
    With the likes of Garside,Evans, Baglin, Higginbottom.
    On key seats not forgetting Ian Bray on Solo trombone & i think Malcom Holmes on Flugel.
    Plus plenty of other good players in the band at the time.

13. ghost

ghost Member

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've never heard the Manchester Co-op recording but it would be interesting to listen to. I've only found four recordings in my collection ... Ever Ready (with Jim Shepherd as top man), Brighouse, Dyke and Fairey.

15. stuartw

stuartw Member

Errata Sheet for Salute to Youth

An errata sheet for Salute to Youth has been issued by Studio Music. Hard copies were sent out to bands in the Yorkshire area today and I imagine the same will be true for other areas. A pdf copy is available for download from the news area of the yorkshire website.

http://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire/news.php

Cheers

Stuart

16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Not much of an errata! There are at least 3 wrong notes in the Sop part that aren't even mentioned! Who know's what's missing elsewhere?!

17. impycornet

impycornet Member

Several from solo cornet part that aren't there either ...

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Missing the majority of the errors on all the horn parts too - there are wrong rhythms, notes and dynamics everywhere!

19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Curious to see how the adjudications will fare if someone is picked up for playing something incorrectly and it wasn't on the errata notification...:rolleyes:

20. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Eb Bass isn't complete either.....

Will there be an errata errata?!