Regionals 2009: Championship Section Test Piece: Salute to Youth, Gilbert Vinter

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. GeordieSop

GeordieSop Member

I'm not really familiar with this piece at all but i've just listened to Dyke play the last section (Jewels of the crown CD3) and sounds like it's gonna be a good piece to practice/play

Just hope our band don't take it as fast as what Dyke have done lol :eek:

2. JR

JR Member

yes 3rd Andy - a really good show as I remember. Needless to say my dad had us to win (as he did last week!)

I though it was just before the Swiss trip though

John R

3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not much chance of that. (I hope!)

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Swapsies? :biggrin::biggrin:

5. eric

eric Member

Great piece of music. Vinter was so ahead of his time

6. grandad

grandad Member

Yep not bad for a Bassoon Player!!:clap:

7. hicks

hicks Member

I'm glad that an older test piece has been selected. Gives me a chance to play some of the fantastic music from years ago.
    Now all I've got to do is get my triple toungeing up to speed..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. How many conductors for the last movement will look at the time it's supposed to take in the score (c. 4:50'ish)?

How many conductors for the last movement will try to take it the 1985/86 Dyke tempo and finish in 4:30'ish?

How many conductors for the last movement will try to take it the 2009 regionals cd tempo and finish in 4:20'ish?

How many conductors for the last movement will go like the 'bat out of hell' and hope the detail comes through!!!!!

:-?;):-?

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Most of them! I think a lot of it will come down to the sort of adjudicator listening. I think a number of bands will hold out until they know who's in the box before deciding on tempi.

10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well according to this we've got Philip Sparke (I assume the P is for Philip?!)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  11. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I love this piece already! I love Vinter generally though lol!

However, what's going on with the reset score and parts? What a load of tat? In the first quick run through I already spotted 5 or 6 errors on two parts (1st and 2nd bari) and others in the band had dynamics missed off, key signatures missed, missing beats in bars etc etc.....really bad!

Can't wait to see the errata for this one - it'll be aboout 10 pages long!

12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Why not re=wrte the score yourself?:)

13. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Why should they? You pay money for score and parts, errors should be minimal

14. brassbandmaestro

I was having a joke Simon!!:D

15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I think you could be on to something there lol!

16. brassbandmaestro

Say what you've done to the publishers and say, oi what about my fee!!

17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Another excellent choice as a qualifier. The last movement will require decent lubrication of the valves!
    The last movement was used as the set-piece within the top-section of the old Milton Keynes entertainment contest. It certainly saw a variety of tempos, the fastest spoiling otherwise excellent programmes.
    This will definitely test the bands next year.

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yes probably for me and many others there favorite Brass Band test piece composer.
    I never get bored of listening to his music:clap:

19. Moy

Moy Active Member

Love all Gilbert Vinter music.
    Salute to Youth is a great piece.
    Am sure you will enjoy it.
    Never played horn part but remember well solo cornet and flugel parts - excellent.

20. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Do y'know . . .

Honestly, I hate to say it:

Does anyone else find that when they first get a testpiece out and start practicing it, they're not that keen, but then as you go on, you end up really liking it, and driving friends and family mad because you won't stop singing it?

This is the norm for me. I hated Macbeth with a passion right up until the last two days before the Scottish Open last year, then fell in love with it. Same with Isiah 40 and other various pieces.

BUT

I played Salute to Youth at Bugle Band contest in June, and never ever got that luvin' feelin'. I guess I kinda like the last movement, but the rest? Not all that struck to be honest.

So when I find out that it's the testpiece for the areas.....well, I wasn't that over the moon.

All Vinter lovers-please don't hate me! There's just something in this one, and I can't put my pinkie on it, but I just don't like it!

Here's hoping that I do fall in love with it......fingers crossed that it starts to happen in February and not 2 days before the contest, otherwise I shall be having a very miserable few rehearsals!