Regionals 2009: Championship Section Test Piece: Salute to Youth, Gilbert Vinter

Discussion in '2009 National Championships of Great Britain' started by Di, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Discussion thread for the Regionals 2009
    Championship Section Test Piece

Salute to Youth
    Gilbert Vinter

:)

2. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Although not in this section. This piece has been flogged to death at con tests. I am surprised to see it again. I would've thought, something of the ordrr of a Philip Sparke piece, eg Cambridge Variaitons etc would make a change. Others I have thought of are a couple of George Lloyd's, eg King's Messenger or Royal Parks.

Vinter has his anniversary year next year as well, so there be more of the same next year, no doubt. Why not Variations on a Ninth or John O'Gaunt?

3. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Royal Parks was used not long since in the 1st Section areas. 2002 I think. Anyway, I remember it clearly 'cos the band I played with at the time played an absolute stonker - and came 4th!!

4. brassbandmaestro

Maybe King's Messenger, what apiece. I love that ending!!

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Or we could look forward.

6. The last movement could cause a headache for adjudicators , you have to play it as fast as possible, so if your playing it too slow your playing it safe, but if your playing it fast you could be rushing???

7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Surely if it says"As fast as possible" then the speed you take it will be the relevant speed for the ability of your band and as such the tempo then isn't part of the adjudication.

I'm only joking of course!!!!

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The secret is in the making it sound like it's all under the finger even when it's flying....which is why it's hard ;)

9. it actually pretty much is all under the finger!! its the triple toungeing part that could cause problems for people!

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

....plus making sure you don't stutter in the middle of the syncopation by trying to be too deliberate about it.....

11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I'm looking forward to it. Great choice :tup:tup:tup

12. sop 1

sop 1 Member

yea me too! great piece :D

13. Blagger

Blagger Member

I like it - great euph solo

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

What he said!

15. robcav

robcav Member

Fond memories of this piece with Yorkshire Co-op at the 1999 First section National Finals. Love the second movement and the euph solo. Looking forward to playing it again.

16. paddo

paddo Member

got to agree with you rob, love the piece, music, all of it, bring it on......

17. RussQ

RussQ Member

Could see some interesting results as most bands should be able to give this a pretty good go. The big boys may not have it all their own way which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    I'll be looking forward? to getting to grips with 'Pentacle' which by all accounts is quite a test for those of us languishing in the first section.
    Good luck to one and all.

18. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I personally love the piece and will be looking forward to listening to the Championship Section bands in the South West playing it and being thoroughly jealous that I don't get to play it myself!! With the piece having being used as the Finals piece in the First Section in 1999(?) I was suprised by its choice so soon again, especially in the top section. Although, I am sure that getting music out of Romance and bands take on the final movement will sort the men from the boys next March!!

I will have to put up with Pentacle, hope the cornet part isn't too tasty!!!

19. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

ahh yes, i remember it well, 3rd wasnt it? just back from Switzerland?

20. brassbandmaestro

In the last movement, the band certainly has to go at a cracking pace!! Good luck people!!