Regionals 2008: Third Section area test piece-Dark side of the moon

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2007.

1. joshy

joshy Member

Well that wasn't the most amazing contesting day I've ever had :( Congratulations to the bands that qualified for the finals! I didn't manage to hear any unfortunately but I had some people in the audience feeding me information. It's a shame that this piece will now mostly go unused (as most test pieces are) but I think it was a great test and I enjoyed playing it more than any other test piece I have played so far.

Hopefully I'll be able to see the North West bands making a good show of Harrogate come October :D

Josh

2. LauraBrim

LauraBrim New Member

Well done Oldham for winning yet again! And an even bigger well done to Eagley who are through to the finals after a very long time, Im sooo pleased!!!! Mike I did get a little worried at the beginning when i couldn't hear anything! but then realised it was the accustic and my throat immediatley dried up!! Im sure u played the rest perfectly!!

glad we don't have to play the piece again even though i began to like it a tiny bit!! A big thank you to Grenville Moore and the rest of Eagley for making me a very happy second trombone player this evening!!

(btw i saw a lot of bands giving the 2nd tromb parts to 1st bone!! im sure its written in that part for a reason! ;) )

well done everyone who took part!! x

3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Well I still like the piece though I am glad we can now put it away and choose something ourselves for Weston super Mare Contest in May. (For anyone who hasn`t been to it come along and take part as it tends to be quite fierce competition which is good.)
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this lively thread and well done mikelyons I will see you in Harrogate and hopefully put you into 2nd place at the Nationals!

4. Ali

Ali Member

What a great piece of music! I managed to hear it 4 times yesterday and I never got bored of it. I could see DSOTM being used as a first half or even a concert finisher, a bit like Shine as the Light. Its great (especially the way Oldham played it)!

5. Beesa

Beesa Member

I usually become a bit bored with a piece after 3 or 3 listens but I heard Dark Side of the Moon 8 times yesterday and would have been pleased to hear it more. There was quite a variation in interpretation , dynamics, etc. between the bands so perhaps this helped to keep it interesting.

Oh, and I was looking out for Mike (Lyons). I think he was actually enjoying the piece - but perhaps he was scowling just a little! Anyway, well done Mike and Eagley.

6. LauraBrim

LauraBrim New Member

Its a shame I only saw 4 bands that all came 15th or below!! so didn't get to hear any of the better bands in the section to compare my band! What i did notice was that there were a fair few different interpretations of the piece that made it more interesting which kept me going back for more which i don't normally do! Did anyone see any of the top 6 bands? any opinions on them??
    Really pleased that Eagley did well yesterday to encourage our new young back row and to make our secretary (my big brother!) happy after contributing a lot to building the band up from 9 players to a full band over the last 2/3 years!!
    Hope to see everyone in Harrogate!! x

7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:clap: :clap: Lively thread indeed! And Mr Lyons I challenge u to a duel, C ya in harrogate! 1st one to the trophies buys the beer and I don't mean running up and touching them!;)

8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Well done Mr Lyons for proving you don't have to like a piece to prepare properly and play well (first 6 bars excepted of course!)

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Really? Was that the tune bit near the end? Our 2nd trombone would have shot me if I'd suggested stealing his moment of glory!

10. davidaus

davidaus New Member

What ever you can say about Dark Side of the Moon .... it was sufficient to differentiate between the Bands on the day. Each band I heard had different layered dynamics, a variable approach to the requirement to being in tune and having good intonation.

The different interpretation of the piece adds to the variety ... none of the 6 of 14 performances I heard in the Torquay had exactly the same interpretation. However there was enough challenge in the rest of the peice for 3rd Section bands that the adjudicators did not have to chose on musical interpretation alone.

11. LauraBrim

LauraBrim New Member

the tune at AA and the note at M i think! i can see why dobcross youth did it probably because the 2nd tromb was young and possibly inexperienced in contesting but im sure i saw 3 bands do it! yeh if my brother (solo tromb) had tried taking it off me i would have just given him a very evil look!!

12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

And a very evil look it can be too - I've only ever seen it from a distance, thankfully!;)

Today 16:40

Don't understand that bar thingy with the time on! ^

Thanks Chunky. As may be noted, I never said I wouldn't do my best. However, if Gareth thinks he's going to programme that any time in the next 6 years he can go whistle. I've already arranged for a ceremonial burning while the band plays the little Eff 'n G march! ;)

13. blueandwhiteforever

blueandwhiteforever New Member

You've failed to include the following "charming and extremely good looking, and modest with it."

14. I loved playing Dark Side of the Moon.

Last year we were relegated to third section after playing Helen Perkins 'Carnival'. Being a percussionist it wasn't the most exciting pieces with only snare, cymbal and bass drum.

But, dark side gave us something more exciting to do! Upside down cymbals on timps are the new thing!

I only heard 2 bands on Saturday (I spent the rest of this time propping up the bar) and to hear how other bands interpreted the music was interesting to say the least. Maybe a little scary in parts.

I think it was suitable for third section and was able to distiguish between the good and the not so good.

For younger bands (although, I'm only 19) I think it would have been a challege but a good one, and would help with experiece. Plus it was new so more appealing to younger players than traditional test pieces.

But, yay! I do love it and still can't stop listening and drumming along to it in my head in lectures at uni!

15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK, Rachael, next year we'll arrange for one with only percussion. You lot can hump all your kit around on your own and there won't be any room in the hall for any audience so, while you are all building sheds in the hall, the rest of the bands and the audiences will all be getting ratted in the bars :)

That must be one of my better ideas :clap:

Andy, that's enough. You've been to the Hall of Mirrors again I see. :p We've asked you to keep off the Irn Bru!

16. I know its all over now but, just out of curiosity, what did other percussionists use for the cymbal and tam tam scrapes?

I was told to play with a £2 coin as other monetary values just didn't sound right, or so our conductor told me!

17. joshy

joshy Member

Ha ha! Maybe if we put that level of detail in at rehearsals we would have done better! We used a 2p coin as far as I remember.

Josh

18. ashwortdn

ashwortdn Member

we used the triangle metal beater it sounded great.

19. tomlewis

tomlewis New Member

Could anyone help the Menai Bridfe band in a bit of a tight corner here? Due to play DSoTM in our annual concert week Saturday, only we've misplaced the Solo and 2nd horn copies aswell as the bass trombones part. Could anyone post/e-mail me the parts if possible? Tried contacting the publishers and PLC himself to no avail.

Thanks.

20. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Are you sorted for those parts? We have rehearsal on sunday so I might be able to grab ours if you are really stuck