Regionals 2008: Third Section area test piece-Dark side of the moon

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We were doing it Ad lib. as we went. Sadly our Flugel player got lost and it was a shaky (to say the least moment). I should mention Russ our Flugel only had 3 rehearsals as our regular Flugel (Miss Presley) broke her arm on the Sunday before the contest, Russ came in and did a super job!

Comment from the stage again!! Mr's Childs and Harper thought that section needed plenty of time to develop and thus set up the glorious cornet cadenza/solo to follow.

2. Fazed Song

Fazed Song New Member

They cannot be expressed in anyway you want??? What the hell is this all about? I am truely amused by some comments. Sarchasm may be lowest form of wit (however I'm sure who ever said that didn't have any wit... or maybe he was being sarchastic ;) ).... But it certainly lightens up my day from the monotiny of seeing "good luck" posts thread after thread.
    :)

3. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I think you are going off topic AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

We have referred to the tMP rules several times before.
    so here's another warning: please return to the topic. ;)

cheers,

Jan

5. Fazed Song

Fazed Song New Member

Chubb???? Whats got you so annoyed... LOL.... How amusing

OK.... Lets get on topic....

What do you think of this piece chubb?

oh and

"I think your off topic".... Is that itself off topic... and who do you think you are.. A moderator.

6. Fazed Song

Fazed Song New Member

Sorry I need to look closer at rules... didn't realise sarchasm isn't allowed....

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I came across this recently and thought you might find it interesting

"New light on lowest form of wit

Joking aside, scientists claim they have found a specific part of the brain which regulates the ability to understand sarcasm.
    They claim that people with damage to the right frontal lobe, right behind the eyes, are unable to appreciate this kind of humour, commonly referred to (usually by those who are on the receiving end of it) as 'the lowest form of wit'.

Plus I would like to wish Rockingham all the best after their winning performance of DSOM and good luck at the Nationals - see you in the 2nd Section next year.

8. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

If you are referring to me.It is CubbRep not Chubb.And as far the piece goes my band are really enjoying it.As I think most bands that have to play it are.We are new to the 3rd section,but I will tell you this we are going to give it a good go with DSOTM.I have mentioned in one or two post's that test pieces do not have to be technically hard to be a test piece.
    I don't care too much for sarchasm.But everyone to their own type of humour.(Maybe in another topic)But not this one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Perhaps we could offer 'sarchasm' as a new entry in the Uxbridge English Dictionary, as popularised by the comedy programme 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue'.

Sarchasm (noun): 1. A large crevasse on the dark side of the moon. 2. (synonym) A bottomless void of endless argument from which it is impossible to escape.

(With apologies to non-Radio 4 listeners for the above references, and to the moderators for going off topic again).

10. joshy

joshy Member

:clap::clap::clap:

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I thought I'd gained the title of tmp's grumpiest old man!

As for sarcasm, I like it, whether aimed at me or not, but I prefer the taste of irony. Ironly is better for the blood. I find it quite ironic that DSOTM has ended up as a test piece in a national championship, as it appears the composer never intended its use as a test piece.

Given its pleasant inoffensive nature, with references to well-known styles and even a few nods in the direction of current film tunes, it would obviously please audiences. It does please audiences, obviously. However, in common with a number of other such pieces, it is my personal opinion that it is as boring as anything to play.

To have to sit through an entire rehearsal and pick it to pieces bar by repetitive bar grates on my nerves.

Most of the rest of the band's difficult parts seem to be where I've got a G. It may be a long G, or occasionally a rhythmical G. Sometimes it's a deliberately flat (or maybe sharp) G - just to keep Grenville on his toes, you understand ;-)

I know that G intimately. I know who it has been sleeping with and whether or not it likes marmalade. I know its strengths and weaknesses and who its closest enemies are. I'd like a different note now please!

12. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Sorry for wrong spelling of sarcasm.Still doesn't put me off playing the test piece though.Can't wait until Saturday when we play it at Nicholas Chamberlaine though.

13. mikelyons

You beat me to it LMAO!

I love that programme.

14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

You can share my bottom c if you like, regularly checked with tuner and even exact speed of vibrato decided upon... and where it has to vary according to who else is performing...I think they would make a compatible pairing as long as you don`t introduce marmite. :mad:

15. Beesa

Beesa Member

. . . and with the bass line quavers, isn't there a touch of Indian Summer in there somewhere?

16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Please don't apologise! For one thing, you weren't the first to misspell it, and secondly, I wouldn't have been able to make my little joke otherwise!

Anyway, it seems to me that amid all this talk of quavers and crotchets, and tuning and ensemble, we haven't really got to the heart of What This Music Is Really About. First section bands have it easy with James Cook Whatshisthingy - it's all too easy to hear the rolling waves, the jolly jack tars dancing the hornpipe, the plaintive cry of the seagulls, and of course the final dramatic act when Cook himself meets the fate determined by his name when he ends up in the natives' cooking pot with some seasonal vegetables and a Knorr cube. With DSOTM, in the absence of any historical perspective, we have to deduce the programme behind the piece.

So it seems obvious to me that that the first fast section represents a spacecraft hurtling towards the moon, the long held low note before the eerie cornet solo is clearly a pinch from the organ pedal in Richard Strauss's greatest hit 2001: A Space Odyssey ...um... the big swaggering march in major key is obviously a lunar sunrise, and, er, the final rallentando depicts the re-entry and slowing of the spacecraft as it hits the earth's atmosphere, with ....er.... the final cymbal roll representing splashdown, and, er, um, well, that's enough from me, I'm sure you can fill in the missing bits.

Then again, if it's from the dark side of the moon, where no radio contact with earth is possible, shouldn't this piece just be one long GP bar? Houston, we have a problem...over and out.

17. JR

JR Member

To me it sounds exactly like the last movement of Ray Steadman Allen's Seascapes..

Wierd that - had been bugging me for ages - It just came to me after talking about Seascapes (one of Desford's RAH wins) with Dave Giblin late on Sunday night, having cadged a lift home on Rothwell's bus...

seriously weird

John R

18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

2nd 'bone at Fodens more like!;)

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

You missed out the bit where they found the big park on the dark side of the moon filled with dinosaurs....

Anyway, it all worked out nicely. We'll be filing that one away for the next few years I suspect.

20. mikelyons

I'm saying nothing - well, maybe a bit.

I proimised I'd own up (and hang my head in shame) so here's my cough:-

I didn't play the first note - not until about bar 6. The thought of all you loverly people out there watching, listening and waiting - my mouth dried up just as Grenville (to whom all honour and gratitude) put his hand down for the first beat and my section just heard the quiet whisper "S**t!" However, all was not lost as the lovely Andy, chief BBb bass and player extraordinaire earned his shilling!

So much for downing a litre and a half of water while waiting to play. Doh!:oops: :hammer :eek: :oops:

BTW, congrats to all my lovely new friends at Eagley on their amazing 2nd place. Harrogate, here we come!