Regionals 2008: Third Section area test piece-Dark side of the moon

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Official thread for the Regionals 2008 Third section test piece, The Dark Side of the Moon, Paul Lovatt-Cooper. :)

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Not ordered our copy yet.

Does anybody know the percussion requirements, please?

Cheers

3. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Whats the story with this piece? Whats it about?

4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

I think its about what the moon looks like on the side we can`t see and the composer thinks it will be "desolate "and "barren" and "rugged". Having heard the CD I think it sounds a bit russian so perhaps they started a base camp up there and sing Volga Boat song after drinking copious amounts of moon-vodka. I love it and we are trying it out tomorrow night. (The music not moon-vodka obviously:biggrin: )

5. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

And there was me expecting 'Breathe, Time, Great Gig In The Sky and Money'

LOL

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

I've just heard this on the CD and it sounds awesome - by the sound of it, chops of steel are required for the last bit. Almost makes me disappointed that we've been promoted!

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Wonder what Pink Floyd think about it?

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

What section are they in then?

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

The ability to tell bad jokes and drink a great deal of alchohol seems to be a main qualities needed. Oh plus a big white van for all those bits and bobs.:)

10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

:clap: HaHaHaHa - love it.

All our percussionist is missing is the big white van :(

Oh, and a colleague or two, if what I've heard about this piece is correct!! :eek:

11. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Do I detect a whiff of smugness in the air?

Only joking. Congratulations and enjoy being a champion

12. Anno Draconis

More than a whiff, frankly (a stench, maybe?), but thanks anyway!

I've had a good listen to the Regionals CD this afternoon, and Dark Side is definitely my favourite of the 5 pieces at the moment. Great that the 3rd section's got a modern piece again, after 3 years of 50s/60s nostalgia.

13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Agreed with this. I heard ( my Son did too ) and we both thought "wow what a crackin piece". Sadly I'm not in the third section.. :( .. dissappointed with the 2nd section piece but thats another topic.

:clap: to the selectors for this one.

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

15. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Does anyone know how many percussionists are required?

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Anyone notice the resemblence to Batman all the way through?!

17. Anno Draconis

Dark Knight of the Moon?;)

18. NAS

NAS Member

I heard it at Preston when Royal Buckley played it and it sounds a cracking piece!

19. Anybody know what this guys composed or arranged before?, I've never heard of him!

20. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

There is a timpani part and a percussion part but not being a percussionist I guess 3 people is enough? doesn`t look like they have masses to do but there is a glock solo and another bit where the glock features with just the muted cornets. Its not too technical for anyone, nice keys, in 6/8 or 4/4 but there are little solos for nearly everyone including 2nd man on cornet and 2nd euph so everyone should enjoy playing this. Its going to be the bands with the overall best quality of sound (and confidence) that are the winners i think. Good choice.