Regionals 2008: Fourth Section Test Piece: Four Cities Symphony

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Official thread for the Regionals 2008 Fourth section test piece, Four Cities Symphony by Rodney Newton. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2007
  2. OK I've never heard of this piece, and I'm not even sure if I've heard Rodney Newton either, so if anyone can shed some light on the piece and R.N. then please feel free to post it on here, I would hope to conduct in the 4th section either in 08 or 09 so some info would be useful :)
  3. QAD

QAD Member

Is this a new piece of Rodney Newton's?
  4. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

There is information about the piece here and Rodney Newton here.

Hope this helps.
  5. postie

postie Member

Went to the Nationals yesterday and got the music and the regionals CD interesting piece at least fairly listenable. Taking it to band tomorrow see what they make of it.
  6. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Listened to piece in the car on the way to work.

First impressions: good piece to listen to, no real technical challenge.
    Need to look at score to get real feel for it.

Should see lots of bands competing at areas. :biggrin:
  7. QAD

QAD Member

Thanks Janet,
    Oh God - not more romans - had enough of those at the nationals...

The third movement is constructed around the Gregorian chants of the Lord's Prayer (Pater noster, qui es in caelis) and the Creed (Credo in unum Deum) in an evocation of the city of Rome. After a powerful climax, mysterious tramping footsteps are heard as the ghosts or a Roman legion march through the city by night. The vision fades and the pater noster is heard once again, before the movement is brought to a close with the ancient Ambrosian chant, Christus Vincit, Christus Regnet, Christus Imperat.

Perhaps the adjudicators will actually make a note of the tempos for the regionals though - would make a nice change
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  8. QAD

QAD Member

argghhhh, just noticed there's another waltz
    The second movement depicts Paris, its street cafes and boulevards and riverside walks, in the form of a romantic waltz.

Why oh why oh why

thats now three years on the trot with a waltz movement
    Don't they know I foxtrot???
  9. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

After looking through the score the following words pop into my mind:

*Block Composition
    *Easy (technically)

It looks like 4 concert items stuck together to make a suite. That said the main test is going to be in balancing parts, rhytmic accuracy and tuning, which is what you expect from 4th section.

Personally I would have like a more technical piece but seeing as the previous two tests have light and easy enough to entice bands to enter the contest, the music panel have followed the trend in picking a piece everyone will play.
  10. QAD

QAD Member

Lets hope there's enough music that can be squeezed out of it. Only just ordered it so I get an excited week of waiting ;)

I think that I'm going to go back through my first year music degree stylistics excercises, pick four or five, score them for band and give it a nice title - like 'five cornish cream cakes', or 'cornish pastiche fanatsy', and submit it for next years fourth section regionals....
  11. nadband

nadband Member

Last Newton piece i played was Four Spanish Impressions when i was in youth band and it bored the life out of me.Gave the percussionists something to do though...
  12. QAD

QAD Member

Not sure if memory serves, but I think he did the arrangement of gaudete, hopefully there will be a bit of excitement in it somewhere
  13. nadband

nadband Member

that would be nice!
  14. nadband

nadband Member

that would be nice!
  15. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

Doubly nice obviously ;)

16. nadband

nadband Member

opppppppsssssssss didn't mean to do that! thats what comes of typing on your pda!!!

It's not so simple as you think. Listening to the recording at the weekend my first thought was 'what a cliché, do they think we're junior band players or what?'. After second and third listenings I started to change my mind. Although the titles are pretty clichéd and the fact that Paris is a waltz etc. the actual playing is not as easy as that makes it seem, there is even some double tonguing in 'Moscow' on the recording. There are solo parts for cornet, horn and euph and a few nice sop bits.
    I look forward to getting a chance to look at the parts.
    (3rd section test piece is stunning though, would love to be playing that!).
  18. dalizzie

dalizzie New Member

Typical 4th section, still needs to be in tune, in time, full length notes etc.
    Every band should play it, usual lottery in the bigger areas?
  19. QAD

QAD Member

Couldn't agree more. May as well sell bingo tickets in the South West, expect there'll be about 25 bands with this one. Still, may be enough in it to get some decent differences in - haven't seen the score yet - just going off recording.
  20. MattB

MattB Member

Going off what everyone's saying looks like there'll be 30 bands in the 4th section at Blackpool then! Long day a'comin........