Regionals 2008: First Section Test Piece: James Cook – Circumnavigator

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Official thread for the Regionals 2008 First section test piece, James Cook - Circumnavigator, Gilbert Vinter. :)

2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Well, I'll start it off.. I absolutely love this piece and can't wait to have a go at it! We'll be recent promotees at the area next year and will probably find it quite a difficult piece to get up to standard, what do the more established 1st sectioners think?

Massive trombone parts but should be Ok as (thankfully) its one of our strongest sections at the moment.

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Nice to see such a forward-looking choice :rolleyes:

4. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Call a spade a spade then.
    What's wrong with it ?

5. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Personally I like this piece. And I think audiences will pay to listen to bands play this because its a classic. I think all those who complained about last years test pieces should be grateful they have a piece that they'll enjoy rehearsing for weeks on end!

6. barrytone

barrytone Member

Only had a quick run through at band but it seems like a wonderful piece, I agree I think the audiences will love listening to it and I am certain bands will enjoy rehearsing it. Don't think it's too hard for bands just promoted, not too much technical stuff, except the sixes, it'll be amazing to hear how many bands play them correctly. Bit surprised that we've got an older, established piece after Sinfonetta last year but I can't argue with the choice, an excellent piece of music and a good test for first section.

7. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

The sixes aren't hard, its just a question of measuring them right. I've heard a lot of bands rush through them, simply to make the piece sound more difficult and they've made a complete hash out of it. Anyway, good that you like it as well.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ian Perks will be in ecstasy - he's been advocating this for years!

9. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

Some proper trombone parts - that goodness !

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

To Right i am
    Ive been saying for about 3 years it should be the area test piece its
    LONG OVERDUE and im so happy its been at long last the 1st section area test piece:clap: :biggrin: ;) :woo :woo

11. barrytone

barrytone Member

That's what I meant but probably didn't make myself clear. Don't think the sixes are technically difficult but think the pitfalls of bands failing to place them correctly will cause lots of problems. The tendancy to see lots of notes and set off like a train, especially on stage when the adrenaline is flowing, will become overwhelming within many performances I fear. Plenty of other tests within the piece, will take a good band to play it well on the day.

12. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

Please, please, please - by all means have a look at the piece abd a blow through but, if we (or you) think we are a 1st section band, don't start rehearsing the piece until january.

If we (you) can't play it with 10-12 weeks of rhearsal we (you) don't deserve to be in the section.

Talk again in nfebruary !

13. robcav

robcav Member

Given that the Yorkshire regional contest is at the very beginning of March rather than the middle, and that prior to this there is the usual pleasurable inconvenience of Christmas and all its musical challenges to attend to, would I be mistaken in thinking that Yorkshire bands may well be having a look at the piece earlier than January. There's a lot more to this piece than meets the eye.

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

And you're saying this on behalf of who exactly?

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Himself as a 1st section bander.

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

And that gives him the right to dictate how other bands in the same section should approach what to them could be the highlight of their contesting calendar?

I'd much rather hear a band who has rehearsed the piece to death play the piece well, than listen to a band who underestimated the piece and leave it too late to start their preparation, murder the piece on stage.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm listening to the early '70s performance by GUS (Footwear). I wonder if this is the manuscript copy they played from? Great musical performance but it contains what seems like written errors (note-wise) in the parts.

18. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

i am just suggesting that we (the 1st section) have been given a really good piece for the area contest and should not ruin the experience by killing it for 6 months (area dates excepted). If any band (in any section) can't play the given piece with 12 weeks (or so) rehearsal they are (probably) in the wrong section.

19. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

20. I played this at college, really good piece, really good trombone parts, you 1st sectioners should enjoy this 1!

As for how much you should rehearse it, if I were an MD in the 1st section, I would probably do a run through of the piece every rehearsal in december, so the players realise what they will be up against and then do the proper rehearsing of the piece all the way through january and february.

End of the day, you don't want your players not knowing what their part is like come 1st january, and also a run though each rehearsal in december breaks up all the xmas music you have to do, its a nice refreshing part of the xmas rehearsal, and would keep everyone interested. Plus this would hopefully mean that players wouldn't get bored of the piece too quickly, or peak too soon.

Again only my opinion, but I feel its a valid and realistic 1 :)