Regionals 2008 CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by McEuphie, Oct 1, 2007.

1. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Hi Folks

Received my copy of 2008 areas CD over the weekend and was generally impressed with music and presentation.
    However I don’t think there will be many happy Whitburn fans!!

Band review on CD notes:

Cory Band – 1.5 pages
    Black Dyke - 1.5 pages
    Whitburn – 0.5 pages with best achievement winning 4th Section Scot Champs!!

Come on guys, major gaff or what!!!!:mad: :mad:

2. Scotty

Scotty Member

Haven't seen or heard the cd yet but would like to think we have achieved a bit more than that in recent years. A bit disappointing to hear that's the best info that doyen could research!

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't forget that Whitburn only recorded one area piece, and the other two bands recorded two. So it's pretty much the right ratio of words - if not a little out of date!

4. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Hi HBB

I’d stick to music cos your maths is a bit suspect!

If one piece = 0.5 page
    Then two pieces = 1 page not 1.5 pages

That's ratio of 2:1 not 3:1 as in insert.

:)

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea, but you know what I mean. Honestly.

6. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Are these new recordings or the usual recycled existing ones?

7. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

They appear to be new recordings.

The dates given are June/July 2007

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- hmmmm! Festival Music sounds identical to the 2003 release by Black Dyke.

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The Whitburn recording is new. Our MD was Whitburns bandmaster at the time, think he said Duncan Beckley conducted it.

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I have my copy - and think there are 5 very good renditions this year, Of course my opinion will change the more I rehearse the test piece next year. But for now, 5 very enjoyable pieces to listen to and a good quality CD.

something I thought about in the car last night tho. . . . Do Doyen and the Childs brothers have too much influence over what the general banding public think of the test piece's. With the exception of Duncan and Whitburn's (Very Good) performance of Three Part Invention, everything else is controlled by Doyen - Could this lead to a one sided view of things.

I don't really think so myself, The Childs brothers are excellent conductors at the top of the field and the CD interpretations are not there to be copied, I find them a nice way of building a test piece libary for future use when i want an own choice piece etc etc. But you can see where my thinking was coming from? Should the recordings be spread around a bigger variety of conductors and bands?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    areas
    presentation.
    CD
    fans
    Whitburn
  12. no2taz

no2taz Member

i have a copy and have enjoyed listening to it

WELL DONE

13. Bungle

Bungle Member

Wouldn't it be good if the bands that recorded the pieces helped to come up with an errata list. Then they could be checked by the composer and issued when the pieces are announced. Obviously they are not going to pick up everything, but it would be a start.

14. sale

sale Member

just have to say (got the CD this week) they have really nailed picking the pieces for next year they are all brill. Especially impressed with the Paul lovatt Cooper piece (dark side of the moon) lovin it. anyone else have any views on this

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there's a few here.

16. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

One of them contains extensive quotes from obscure W. Rimmer march "The Arabian"