Regionals 2005 test piece rumours!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jonford, Jul 28, 2004.

1. jonford

jonford Member

Please feel free to redirect me to another thread if this has already been started, i thought it was a bit early to start guessing again but as you can now pre-order the CD. It was only a matter of time before someone started this thread!

So any rumours, ideas or pieces you would like to see at next years area contests?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I saw the advert of 4barsrest, what goes on those CD's. Is it the winner from each area? (sounds boring).

or is it a winner from each section?

Or do you get your bands performance on it?

Rather vague in the title and description isn't it?
  3. jonford

jonford Member

No the cd is released in september, many months before the actual contests. It should contain five test pieces which will be used at the contest, and the recordings on the CD are normally by championship section bands, either new recordings, or recordings that already exist on other CDs.
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Oooooh, I see.

Thanks for the info.

I feel a bit stupid now :oops:
  5. jonford

jonford Member

Don't worry bout it!

Im gonna have first stab in dark and say Harmony music for championship section! lol :lol:
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm living in blind hope that The Deep will come up again, since I'm going to get to work it up to standard but not actually play it at Pontins... :cry: So flaming infuriating...
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the pieces will but i hope the 1st Section get something new if only to stop some of our more experienced players saying "when we played this at ...., what a great band we had then" !!!
  8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Oh When the Saints Go Marching In for all sections.

Canny wait.
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yes but we need to reflect the reality of the brass band world such as Brassed Off, so William Tell Overture for Championship Section

And Clog Dance for the 4th!

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Again no matter what we think it is its going to be the complete opposite, although the year before last I heard that the top section was going to be Tristan but they had to change it because people were getting to know what it was before the release date...and heard that last year was meant to be Harmony Music, but ended up being Tristan...we'll have to wait and see :wink:

Something easier than Ballet for Band in the 1st section plz
  11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Dont you want a piece that will test your band? I mean isn't the 1st section a section that will prepare your band for getting championchip status? you dont want something too easy. what musical challange would that be? I think 1993 ( 1st section) has to be the best area test so far " the forest of dean " challenges some championchip bands even now.

Svor - Torstien Aagard Nilson 4th section
    Barchester suite - test for 3rd section
    Symphonic Music - Paul Huber - 2nd section
    Freedom - Hubert Bath - 1st section
    Diversions - D.Bourgeois Championchip
    Just a few Ideas.....
  12. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not half as difficult as Maoriana by Arthur Butterworth. What a beast of a piece!

That was the same year that the top section piece was Un Vie de Matelot. Marioana was much harder than Matelot as far as I was concerned.

As for the 2005 test pieces, I have some good leads but am sworn to secrecy, (as ever!)...

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well I'm just gonna wait like I always do before each contest as to what the pieces are.... I'd rather get the Finals out of the way first before worrying what the next Area piece is going to be!
  14. In your dreams :lol: Although I think William Tell Overture would be a good one for 1st section maybe?
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well... I did have my tongue in my cheek a bit...... just a bit.... ;-)
  16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Was just a little jokey comment...personally i'd love a totally difficult testpiece both technically and musically!...methinks Freedom would do that :wink:
  17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Those arn't the choices mate...dont quote me on them!!!!!! :roll: still diversions and freedom would be good choices for 1st / championchip...
    I have played SvoR and it's great , bit different from the usual " Sirius " or " Partita " used in the 4th section, but a great test for 3rd/4th section bands.
  18. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

lol...mind you if it was Freedom I think i'd need an iron-lung for the contest :lol:
  19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

stamina lad...thats all you need and a bit of balance...
    it may have been written in 1929 but it's still tricky?
    why need an iron lung?it's not like "Life Divine" , it need a bit of thought behind it....
  20. jonford

jonford Member

Yes that is why i think it is Harmony music this year! :roll:

I know what people mean, the test pieces could be anything. Im sure in last years thread like this though some of the test pieces were guessed at and correct!