Regionals 2005 CD ... worth it?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Sep 16, 2004.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

(note, not exactly a review more of a gripe!)

Has anyone else recieved their Regionals CD?

I got mine through yesterday and full of excitement stuck it in the CD player to have a listen to Variations. Bear in mind that I have a recording of Faireys playing variations on Brass from the Masters and it's a super recording, the piece is delicately handled with a wonderful full rich sound. Would the Dyke recording be as good?. Well to say I was a tad dissappointed is a bit of an understatment. It might just be me (and I do add that this is my own opinion) but the Dyke recording sounds overblown and under rehe*****. The opening bars are fine up till the cornets come in then the problems start (tuning sounds a tad strained in places). It does have it's moments but in general it all sounds very sloppy as though they were knocking it out on a friday night just before they go down the pub. I'm sure Dyke are capable of much better than this and to be honest are shown up by Mount Charles and Cory who sound so much better.

I think I'll stick with the Faireys recording for inspiration come March.:-(
  2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

In a nerve-induced orgy of spending on Sunday I purchased both the regionals CD (primarily for Comedy Overture ) and the Grimethorpe "History of Brass Band Music " without realising that "Comedy" was also on that !! Doh!!

Having said that , there is some good stuff on there and I particularly enjoyed "Tam O'shanters Ride " although I see what people have been saying about the technicality of the piece for a 3rd Section band.

Was a little disappointed by "Rienzi" - a good full sound and breadth of tone but I feel the tempo is a bit pedestrian when compared to most orchestral recordings. Probably has been said elsewhere , but also wonder whether an arrangement of such a well known work is neccessarily the best advert for the skills of our finest bands , and the message that this sends about the nature of the movement ? - at championship level (indeed , at all levels ) I would like to see contemporary original brass band compositions being used / commissioned , but then I appreciate that we have to keep the punters in the seats happy as well.
  3. JR

JR Member

I too would like contemporary, preferably unrecorded works for the area
    In fact this fairly recent development of making money by recording all the area tests has made a mockery of the challenge for conductors i.e to rehearse a new piece from scratch to contest standard without reference to some cd telling you "how it goes"
    Surely when Spectrum first appeared or Energy or much earlier The Frogs etc the challenge was much greater

John R
  4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Although I too enjoy playing contemporary works, my opinion is that it is refreshing to see a good arrangment of the "Overture from Wagners Rienzi" being used!

Although it may not be rhythmically as challenging as in previous years, I believe that it is musically an excellent choice! Last years selection 'Tristan' was fantastic, it really challenged most bands, (although YBS and Leyland made it sound a doddle) and also Prague is an example of a recent contemporary piece, this too, despite its popularity amongst many bandsmen seemed to draw in an audience and really showed the weakend sections within the competing bands. I dont think there is a lack of contemporary works, on the contrary, I think there is a nice balance of styles.

As for telling you "how it goes", any half decent conductor/musician should be able to tell how it goes by looking at the score, I dont think the CD should make any difference! If you dont like it, dont buy it!!!

Finally, The performance on the CD matters not, I challenge you to comment on Dykes performance after the Area in march, I am sure you will not find it under rehe***** when it counts!!
  5. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Rienzi - wow what a great piece. Would buy the CD just for that track!
  6. Benyboy

Benyboy New Member

Am listening to Rienzi as I post this message. What a piece!! Great Trom part. Looking forward to it already. Class playing by Dyke.

Chris BENTHAM
    Solo Trom Reg Vardy (ER) Band
    Resident Conductor Fishburn.
  7. jonford

jonford Member

I am very happy with the cd. Forgot how good Divertimento is!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

..... is the recording of 'Rienzi' the same one Dyke recorded on Spectacular Classics, Vol.3 ?? If it is more recent, what performance/score changes (if any) can be heard compared to last year's recording?
  9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Listened to 'Rienzi' a few times now (just listening to it now even) and think its a cracking piece. Like has been said it doesn't sound as technically challenging in places as the likes of Tristan Encounters but it seems a fantastic piece.
    The challenge will be in the style of the piece. Tis a real cracker though and can't wait to start rehearsals on it! :D

10. Heather

Heather Member

I'm also listening to Rienzi as I write this. Its the first time I've heard it and it sounds like a great piece (big blow though!!).
    I can, however hear quite a bit of screeching and untunefulness in the cornets!
    Oh well, at least they're only human.
    I do think the performance of Divertimento is a very 'below par' too.
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Don't get me wrong people ! "Rienzi" is a great piece and works well on the CD and would grace any concert programme (I'm a big Wagner fan and would love to have a crack at it myself )- just not sure about its use as a test piece.However , as someone else has said above , it will be a test of the whole band in terms of dynamic control and style / tone of playing
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I find it amazing how you can critisize a band and Md like Black Dyke and Nick Childs.
    1. you talk about pedestrian tempo , maybe Nick wanted the music to have some space and poise ( these are stylistic points ) .
    2. are you good enough to play or conduct a band like black dyke? it's very easy to take pot shots , you don't look at the whole picture you just comment on the negetive points
    3. I dont think you realise how busy a band and Md Black Dyke are ( much busier than the other bands you mention ) , maybe with a few more sessions any bumps would have been removed.

If you are unhappy with the product you have bought , send it back with a letter asking for Nick Childs job as it is obvious you can do a better job than he can.
    the CD for right or wrong I would have thought is a guide not the definitive recording , I just find your attitude towards Black Dyke lacking in respect.
    just my thoughts..
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Just to add to Nick's comments, no- one else has mentioned any of this overblown and under rehe***** playing. Funny that!
  14. jpbray

jpbray Member

This seems reasonable point. However unless the CD is going to be played in the band room and the band is going to play along karrioke style I can't see it diminishing the challenge. Yes the CD does give the conductor an idea of how the a piece "goes", but at the end of the day it is him/her, the score and the band. In an ideal world it is the band that interpretates the music closest to the score that should win, not necessarily what people should think it sounds like. :-?
  15. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

If it were possible to rate individual posts, this would get the highest.
    Excellent point.
  16. Heather

Heather Member

Yes, and I must admit these 'regionals' CD's each year are a fantastic idea, both to hear the pieces we need to play at the Areas and to add to our collections of test pieces.
    Been listening to the CD again (3rd time!) and I may have been a bit harsh in my comments....sorry!
  17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I always buy the regionals CD and in true BOC style listen to it on the computer/in the car for months :cool: It is sort of part of the work-up to the event! I think all the choices are fantastic this year. Divertimento is a great piece and there is some really good playing. Although I do agree with some of the comments RE: the recording of Variations. Am certainly looking forward to Tam O Shanter!! CD is definately worth it in opinion :biggrin:
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I have the utmost respect for ANY band and player which plays at that level, if you feel I don't then perhaps my phrasing was slightly wrong, or is this simply a case of "their Dyke so thou shalt not critise or comment"?. Incidentally the recording of Rienzi is superb.
  19. jpbray

jpbray Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does BOC stand for. Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... glad to see it mentioned that the recordings on the CD should be only used as reference and not definitive and etched in stone. Apart from the turns being the wrong way round in the Dyke recording of Rienzi, has anyone spotted the wrong note? All the players play it, so maybe it's on the score. One for the errata sheet?