Regionals '16 CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Sep 23, 2015.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wearing my cynic's hat, I probably already know the answer to this question, however:

Can anyone confirm whether the CD has a newly recorded version of "Essay", or have they simply reissued the recording from the old Dyke/Watson Gregson collection?

On the WoB website is simply says "Black Dyke", with no conductor's name or further information.
    mikelyons likes this.
  2. LynneW

LynneW Member

The CD cover says
    Black Dyke Mills Band, conducted by James Watson
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Thanks; as I expected. :mad:
  4. midlandman

midlandman Member

Is the Cambridge Veriations an old recording?
  5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

6. midlandman

midlandman Member

Is that the same as on The Music of Philip Sparke by the Bnfl band
  7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It's the studio recording from the "Music of Philip Sparke" CD.

Yet again, poor show on this CD. Five pieces, three re-issued recordings (of which it transpired I already owned 2) and only two new recordings, yet "full price" £13.95. Seems a bit of a swizz.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If they made it available to download you could just take the tracks you needed, but I suppose their profit would drop considerately!!!
  9. midlandman

midlandman Member

It's available on world of brass to down load by track (I think) not too got with technology
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

11. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

It would be interesting to know what their sales figures are for these CDs.

I guess they don't sell many so it doesn't justify the time and cost for a fresh recording session.

It still seems a bit poor form for it to be full whack price but I guess if you think it's too much, don't buy it!
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member my knowledge, it used to be the biggest selling brass band far....
    PeterBale likes this.
  13. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Fair enough, is the 'used to be' just last time you happened upon this info or was it ages ago?

In which case, If these CDs are genuinely big sellers its a money making scam of dick dastardly proportions!
  14. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate somewhat...

Who is the target audience for these CD's?
    Is it bands and MD's that don't know the area pieces and want a head start? Or is it people who have collections of CD's already and are looking for alternative recordings of pieces they already have recordings of?

Would the majority of people buying this be unhappy with these tracks not being freshly recorded?
  15. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

I'd suggest it's bandspeople wanting to listen to a reasonable recording of their testpiece to see how their parts fit in etc

Personally I think its better to do a bit of research on ebay - you may find a copy of the same recording on a different CD for not a lot of money
  16. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I agree, and those people would not be unhappy with the recordings not being "fresh for 2015".

I've never really scoured Ebay for CD's, I imagine (perhaps unfairly) that condition may be unfavourable - not everyone looks after their CD's.
  17. Slider1

Slider1 Member

A few years ago my Band qualified for the 2nd section nationals and the test piece was Danceries. I was playing percussion at the time and it is scored for 3 or 4 or even more Percussionists (we had 5)
    but the C D recording was so poor a lot of the percussion was missing so what was the point.
  18. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Danceries 2nd section nationals in 2002 and 2nd section Pontins 2009. I don't believe there are CDs made for Nationals generally so not sure about comment. I didn't play in Nationals but did play at Pontins and have recording on East Coast Pictures by Leyland but not perc player to comment on content and we didn't have more than 3 percs. What was your recording?
  19. For clarification, Danceries has parts for THREE percussion. To my knowledge the only recording available in 2002 and 2009 was the Leyland recording of it on the CD 'East Coast Pictures'. The recording was of very high calibre and nothing was omitted. I know, because I produced it.
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

As a physical CD, before the individual downloads became available.