Regional Test Piece Workshop

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Cleckheaton Sports Club, Bradford Road, Cleckheaton, Yorkshire BD19 5AG.

1.00 pm. SUNDAY 2nd JANUARY 2011

The Association of Brass Band Adjudicators will be holding their Annual General Meeting during the morning of the above date at the Cleckheaton Sports Club. Following this meeting ABBA is joining forces with No2 Area of The National Association of Brass Band Conductors in promoting an Open Workshop covering the chosen works for Sections 4 -3 and 2 of the Regional Test Pieces for 2011.

This workshop which will commence at 1.00pm will be open to any interested party to attend. The three pieces will be introduced by Philip Harper and David Hirst who will outline the various points of interest contained in the music from an adjudicating aspect. They will be assisted by Simone Rebello who will identify any percussion difficulties. The Drighlington Band, Conductor Jim Davis has been engaged for this workshop. Ample opportunity will also be given to members of the NABBC and anyone present to contribute both practically and verbally during the presentation of each piece.

It is proposed to allow 1hour 15mins. for the exploration of each piece, with a break for light refreshments at some stage during the proceedings. This should result in a finish.

There will be no charge for admission.

In promoting this workshop the two Associations are keen to encourage a large attendance.
    It will provide an excellent opportunity for Players, Conductors, Adjudicators and all who have an interest in Competitions to exchange views on the many varied aspects of Contest Promotion, Preparation and Adjudication.

If you require any further information please contact Mal Brownbill by email or telephone.
    Email. telephone 01744 28642.

Mal Brownbill. PRO. ABBA.

I cannot recommend this event highly enough, the last two years have been highly informative and an excellent afternoon. Great company and great music.

As above you can contact Mal, if you want to contact me,. PM me I'll be happy to help. . .
  2. Al

Al Member

I went along to this 2 years ago, at the Dobcross band club. An excellent event. I didn't go along to the one held earlier this year because of the weather and I wasn't sure if it would be held or not. There might a similar situation this year?

As with Brass In Concert, I would be pleased to pay for a web facility. I wonder would this ever be a possibility. I suppose only a static camera and a single audio facility would be needed rather than the setup at BiC.
  3. bigsound

bigsound Member

Sounds a good idea for conductors to get a insight into the test pieces well done to the organisers
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Mr Harper is in the box this year for the 2nd section in Yorkshire, surely every MD from our area would gain some valuable insight from his words. . .
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

AH! In a change to my previous post, the 3rd and 4th section will be introduced by Philip Harper and the 2nd section will be lead by David Hirst. . . .

Anyone on here going?
  6. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

well organised event last year despite the snow.
    Well attended as well.
    Everyone was made very welcome
    I will be there again, weather permitting on the M62.
  7. Frontman

Frontman Member

I will see you there Gary.
  8. winterman

winterman Member

We will be there fella! Well we better be seen as we're the performing band ;)
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Excellent David, I look forward to catching up. And Mic I look forward to hearing your dulcet Eb tones!
  10. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

What a fantastic event from start to finish. Well organised and co-coordinated.
    Three test pieces fully explained sections 2,3 and 4.
    Not a vacant seat at the event. Started on time and went on until 5-0 p.m. with just a 15 min interval.
    Sections 3 and 4 were fully explained by no other than Philip Harper and as he said at the outset, he had never conducted the resident band before the event.
    Many questions were asked and all were fully answered by either Philip or the people from ABBA.
    Now looking forward to next band rehearsal when we will be able to put into practice what we learnt today.
    To all the organisers and the band a very sincere thank you for all your efforts.
  11. Al

Al Member

I went to one a couple of years ago and found it a very worthwhile day.

I would imagine that the MDs of bands who were not there would be at a disadvantage for the contest, especially if adjudicators were involved.
  12. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

It was the adjudicators AGM so they were all there.
  13. Al

Al Member

So, for all those bands that didn't do as well as they expected at the Regionals - and let's face it most of us are there to win - then they will inevitably have to ask themselves should they have attended this event?

I think that this workshop is going to become a very important date in the calendar. Miss it at your band's peril sort of thing.